All reviews salt spring island gas fireplace goat cheese saturday market beautiful view glass of wine balcony harbour garden saltspring pub vancouver galleries yummy victoria
Reviewed 31 August 2017

We arrived at the Harbour House Hotel for a weekend of kayaking and camping. We got onto the Island the day before we were due to leave and stayed at the Harbour House.

The value for money wasn't great, but there weren't a lot of options.

The hotel was under construction, but we were not told this at the time of our booking, a month prior.

Ask also for a newer bed in the room, ours was old-style, not pillow top, think new for 1985.

There wasn't a restaurant on site, although breakfast was included and was yummy.

Couldn't beat the location, we were directly across the street from Salt Spring Adventures.

Room Tip: Ask if the construction is finished.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2017

So these folks are just going under renos, so it can't be easy running a hotel, at high season, on a small gulf island. First time we stayed in an unrenovated room (needed love) and this second trip we had a really nicely renovated room. Such a nice room, for a really good price (great value for your money) and even included breakfast. Super location, you can walk downtown to Ganges and hit the market early on Saturday. Staff were friendly, we will be going back.

Room Tip: Ask for a marina view if possible
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 August 2017

We have stayed here a few times in the past and have always been really happy with the conditions and service we received. This past stay was an absolute shock and misrepresentation of what we expected. Both rooms we booked were absolutely disgusting, the carpets very dirty, no air conditioning (we had 2 fans), paint peeling, rubble outside our door, dangerous for kids to play outside, the furniture looked like it came from a dump, exterior building falling apart with old bugs in the window ledges. All in all I wouldn’t stay in these rooms if they paid me.
I complained to the manageress when we arrived and she brushed me off blaming everything on me and the booking site we used. The next morning I couldn’t take this anymore and asked the check-in person to do something immediately.
We were put into 2 new renovated rooms without balconies. These rooms were nice but did not have the balcony I had paid for (1 room). When we checked out I was told there was no discount for anything and that I would not be charged the $150 upgrade cost for the rooms we received the second night.(The manageress was also miraculously off for the day.)
My family and I have been travelling for many years, I can safely say this was by far the worst hotel experience we have ever had.
In my opinion, their management gives their staff 0% ability to do anything for the guests, and they were totally unwilling to help us resolve the room issue. These rooms and the grounds could possibly be a hazard and nobody should have to experience or tolerate this on their vacation, especially when you paying almost $1000 for 2 rooms for 2 nights. If I could rate it a ZERO, I would.

Room Tip: Rather find another hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank DeanCathy154943
Reviewed 18 August 2017

This place is terrible - they are under construction and they really should not be open. The personnel was uninterested and uncaring, the place was a mess (bathroom as you arrive was a 5 minute walk from the reception). No working ice machine middle of the summer, sawdust everywhere. My husband walked into a tree branch that should have been cut off walking through their "detour" to get to the reception. Did I mention there is no light in the path? A total disaster for top dollar!

Room Tip: Request the renovated rooms - others a disaster
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank LilianB98052
Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife and 4 other couples for a wedding. After the wedding a number of couples were locked out of their rooms. There was no late night number or way of finding help. No staff on site. There is no one on site after close. There was a fact we didn't know asleep in the hall that couldn't get in their room. Great people fyi.....and we bought them a beer!

As we tried for help, with no answer from the entire staff list available on the list at the empty front desk, which included client information and staff information such as SIN numbers. To be clear.....many messages later in e days and not even a call.

We ultimately got those locked out in with a fob at the front desk that opened all the doors in the hotel. No security, just free fob acess in at the vacant desk.

One of our effected friends left 4 voice mail messages for the staff, and happens to be a hotel consultant/critic and not even the courtesy of a reply.

Renos are great, even though not done. But without question the most bizarre lack of security, client safety, and lack of care I have seen. And I say this encouraging you to see my always positive responses on this site.

Complete joke, security nightmare and clearly no management at all. If you stay here, anyone can come into your rooms as desired.

Unlikely the invisible management will respond to this. But stay away. Sad for a great property, but don't put your family at risk.

Sad as it was my best friends wedding. But a shocking experience. Unless you see they have new management ownership...this is a complete joke and miss.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple