Metro Hotel Couva(Couva)(Great Value!)
US$ 65
Trade Winds Hotel(San Fernando)
US$ 170
Hotels.com
Grand Diamond Trinidad(Piarco)(Great Value!)
US$ 145
US$ 78
Hotels.com
US$ 194
US$ 155
Hyatt Regency Trinidad(Port of Spain)
US$ 242
US$ 220
Palm's Hotel Trinidad(Port of Spain)
US$ 110
All reviewsfamily staymeal optionssan fernandobusiness purposesgoing out of their waybuffet breakfastwedding partywide varietyoverlooking the oceanhotel lobbyeaster weekendroom was clean and comfortablecustomer service issouthern partmy birthdaytrinidadrefinery
Reviewed 4 January 2016

I am generally not a fussy person, so when i write this review saying it was a disappointing experience, know that it has to be something below basic expectations of a paying guest.

I made my reservation in December 2015 at the hotel. I was greeted courteously by staff there, however the first thing that made me abit uncomfortable came as i was paying for my reservation. The hotel charged $692TT per night plus a further $300TT as a security deposit which brings my total to $992, to which I have no problem with. The concern came when the person asked to swipe $1000.00TT from my card, her reasoning beyond my understanding. If i were paying by cash I can understand if i paid that amount and got back $308.00 when checking out (upon the condition that nothing was used or taken from the mini bar or no damage done to anything in the room). However, i left that as something she probably found easier to do at the time and dismissed it.

A few days later, we arrived at the hotel, we were cordially greeted and upon checking in, I asked that someone check the mini bar to ensure that items that are supposed to be there, were there, so as to ensure upon checking out, the security deposit would be returned. Shortly after someone was sent to check the mini bar and one item was missing. I can't help but wonder if i didn't ask for someone to come check the mini bar, if i would have been made to pay for the missing item upon checking out. Again, i chose to overlook this as a small issue that was pleasantly rectified by staff.

Upon going through the room i noticed a generally clean area and a very welcoming letter that was personally addressed to me. Complimentary drinks were brought for my guest and I, which added to the nice welcoming touches Cara Suites extends. The views aren't spectacular, the room itself is well equiped with a flat screen tv, microwave, coffee/tea stand, desk and chair in room, iron and ironing board, in room safe etc.

I also noticed that the doors, weren't necessarily wholesome. The rear sliding door which lead to the balcony required abit of strength to close and be held in place so that it could be locked. The main door, (not the strongest or most solid wooden door) i believe should be of a different material to help keep out noise especially considering that the walkway in front of those rooms is designed in a way that sound reverberates quite abit.

The best part of the stay came the next morning for breakfast.
The restaurant's staff were superb, friendly, courteous, helpful, they truly brought a smile to us, the breakfast itself was delicious and very satisfying.

Then came the biggest upset. Whilst in my room with my guest, we heard a knock on the door to which i answered "I am coming". The person knocked again and before i could reply i heard the door open. Thank God, i had the chain on the door. Upon her opening the door and realizing there was a chain on it, i heard her say "oh, there is someone in here." I didn't have time to put on the necessary clothing before that door was opened. My girlfriend looked at me in shock and i returned the same look. The time i reached to the door, it was still ajar.

I was perplexed, wondering how in the world could such a thing happen? When i pay for a room at an established hotel, I expect a certain level of comfort and the highest amount of respect for privacy and security. Then a member of staff opens the door and completely removes all of those. To me, staff would know which rooms are occupied and which are vacant.

Needless to say i was more than just disappointed now.
Upon unchaining the door, i saw three women, one of whom came to check if the mini bar was fully stocked, while the others waited outside.

I believe accidents do happen but those things were completely avoidable!
It is safe to say we have agreed never to stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Simon M
Reviewed 28 December 2015

Hotels in this area are very sparse. The pictures on the web site make the hotel look like the usual idyllic caribbean hotel in an idyllic location. However there are not much beaches in this area of Trinidad and it is very industrialised near by. The coastline in slightly obscured by some high grade apartments which blocks out some of the views of the sea. The hotel is however at the top of a hill, so you can see above those apartments. The main hotel complex is really nice, with a bar and a swimming pool below the bar, it's an open air reception area, open air bar and open air swimming pool. During the day and at sunset it's a great view from the bar looking over the sea/coastline. We sat in the bar and had dinner each night taking in the views. The restaurant is another option which we tried for one night, however the clothing policy and looking at the four walls made it a bit more boring and less flexible than the bar. The bar food and restaurant food was really nice. The restaurant food being more expensive. The breakfast service and food was really good. They have some unique cooked food that they vary for each day of breakfast which suits the western style tastes but has a unique trinidad taste. Nearby there isn't a lot to do because it's mainly just local villages and towns and the industrial area. We were there for the industrial area which made it perfectly placed for us. The staff at this hotel were truly brilliant from the service in the bar, reception area, cleaning of the room and the politeness of staff as you were passing. We stayed in the rooms in an adjoining block and had to walk across a raised platform. The noise of animals, insects, birds during the night as you were walking across the raised wooden platform was amazing. The air conditioning was very reliable with a ceiling fan and an air conditioning unit. The rooms had a fridge, microwave and kettle and the room was a decent size with a desk and a comfy seat, wardrobe space and a rack for luggage. The bathroom was decent with a reliable shower and decent amount of hot water. The wifi was reliable without the hassle of having to constantly reconnect and type your password all the time, which is the scourge of many wifi networks in hotels. They also allowed us to pay in US Dollars with a lot of ease which made payment very easy. Overall a really good stay.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 December 2015 via mobile

My husband and I booked through expedia.com and stayed at this hotel to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. The hotel is quite a retreat from the hustle and bustle of life and was very quiet during our stay. Check-in was fast and efficient. The staff was polite and friendly. The room was very well maintained. The food was delicious. Our only disappointment was that we booked an ocean view room and there was not much ocean to be seen. Two apartment buildings blocked the view of the sea. If they weren't there, the view would be magnificent. Other than that we greatly enjoyed our stay and would consider staying here again in the future.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2015

My husband and I and son booked a night out at this hotel to celebrate our anniversary. When we arrived, we were pleasantly surprised to be allocated an executive suite. A wonderful room with all amenities. Wonderful room with nice sized bathroom. It was quiet and the staff was courteous. That night, there was a buffet dinner and it was very tasty. The morning after, there was a buffet breakfast with a wonderful variety of items. I was so happy that we chose Cara Suites to celebrate our special day.

Room Tip: Check the executive room
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank MGianna
Reviewed 25 November 2015 via mobile

The visit was nice, the room was "ocean view" but it was about 10 feet away from the ocean. The place had alot of flies and the walk to the to the restaurant was far.. the people was pleasant but the only reason I will go back there is because the breakfast buffet was excellent .....

Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple