“5 Stars all the way”

Price range: US$ 8 - US$ 26
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We found this pub in the Good Beer Guide as we wanted somewhere for lunch with friends that was halfway between Salisbury and Oxford areas. Took the dog along for good measure and we were all made to feel extremely welcome as soon as we set foot through the door. As it happens it was the first warm and sunny day of 2018 so we ended up sitting outside and other pubgoers quickly joined us. Drinks soon arrived and we ordered from the interesting menu. When lunch arrived we were all taken aback by the quantity (never usually a problem for me) and, after tasting, the quality of the food. The mixed platters that they offer are all served on wooden boards - more like small doors! - and would easily feed two people We had the fish board ( whitebait fresh anchovy, smoked salmon, tempura prawns, mackerel pate, bread, butter, dips and salad supplemented by salt and pepper squid and potato skins from the starter menu, fish & chips, and I had a half chicken in piri-piri sauce with a pile of chips and salad (also served on a board). We ploughed through every delicious mouthful with relish.

The pub has a good local beer, cider and gin selection with some ales served direct from the barrel. The service was friendly and prompt and dog biscuits free on the bar for hungry pooches, and at £20 per head for food and drinks very good value for money.

An added bonus is the proximity of the pub to the Kennet and Avon Canal - good for dog walks, The Crofton Beam Engine Works - for Heritage Engineering/Steam buffs, The Wilton Windmill - last working windmill in Wiltshire and Wolf Hall - for Hilary Mantel fans.

All in all a grand day out.

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Sadly last night the pub was struggling as understaffed , we had to wait more the 1 hour for food and struggled to be served drinks . Food was warm rather than hot and the fish pie rather tasteless . Not up to scratch on this occasion .

Reviewed 16 March 2018

We saw the sign to the Swan as we were travelling from Savernake forest after a dog walk. Looked a lovely pub from the car and I checked about the dog. A lovely warm smile form the Aussie girl behind the bar confirmed we were OK with a dog....anywhere in the pub. Brilliant.
Wide range of foods and a board of specials was at first exciting but I am one of those that thinks that the smaller the menu the better so the jury was out until the food arrived! A crispy sesame beef salad was really enjoyed by my wife...."the best pub salad I have had" she said.
A curry for me was fine, nothing exceptional but, there again, it has to be taken in context of a country free house trying to do its best. Bitters are all local and, as usual, the Ramsbury beers were great. Cider on tap was good too.
Good coffee cappuccinos although one disappointment was the syrup sponge which was suet based and a bit too heavy for my taste.
Very friendly landlord and staff, chatty drinkers made this a nice visit out of the blue. The dog loved it as well!!

1  Thank Graham P
Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

My recent move to Marlborough has been let down by the lack of decent places to eat.

I going through the top 10 on trip advisor and can’t seem to find anything I can call my local.

The key to a good pub is great beer, crispy flakey fish and chips and an epic burger. The Swan has none of these and for what we did get it was over priced.

The staff have no idea about the wine they serve and we left without even trying a dessert.

My search continues for Marlborough best pub, the Swan will not be getting that award. How it’s in the top 10 is a joke.

Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

Went with friends to try the Swan. Very cute building, and warm and comfortable inside. Food a touch above pub grub. We had pork and curry. Curry smelled very authentic. Pork steak a little over cooked sorry. Trip to the loo spoilt a bit by beer barrels in the corridor. Good place though and 4 real ales on - 3 in chilled barrels behind the bar.