Review of Prince of Wales

Ranked #48 of 110 Restaurants in Maldon
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Went here for lunch today and ordered 4 roast dinners one of which was a children's dinner.
While waiting I took my granddaughter into the garden to play on the swings.
Within 5 minutes she had dog mess all over her shoes.
This was reported to the landlady who sits all the time on customers side of the bar.
Her attitude stunk like the dogs mess she didn't even apologise.
She said she had checked the garden that morning.
If she had she might had bothered to empty the ash trays from the day before & wipe down the wet play eqt etc.
She then tried to charge full price.
Will never return to this pub.

4  Thank ptfe42

Reviewed 22 June 2017

Went into what i thought was a friendly pub. Walked up tot he bar, was not greeted with a hello, or anything. I thought, is that normal?

Eventually got served by the owner Roger with his wife Denise and was advised quite promptly that there was going to be a Quiz Night. What does that mean? I would have to be quick because they needed the table when they clearly advertise food outside of the pub? I questioned this and said what does this mean then? Would i need to be rushed when i made a decision to eat at your dwelling? No Answer was given.

I ordered a Sirloin Steak which was priced at a Whopping £14.95 with a coffee on the side. I specifically ordered Medium Rare.

The service was remarkably rather quick! However, the food on the plate was 7-8 large Chips, a dessert spoons worth of peas, one cut up small mushroom which had seen better days and a tomato quartered with 4 onion rings. I wish I could of taken a photo. I didn't have my phone with me at the time. Now bear in mind this meal was £14.95!!!

After starting to eat the food, now bearing in mind that I ordered a Sirloin Steak (Medium Rare) i started to notice that the steak was actually cooked Medium.

I called Roger over and said, can I ask yo a question? I said, does this steak look like its medium rare? He openly admitted that the cook had over done the steak by a minute or so, (i would say two actually as i cook a lot of steaks at home). He said all he can do is knock some money off of the meal without having him to cook a new steak, of which i said ok, l will accept that.

When finished the meal and went to pay, Denise his wife stated the full price of the meal including the coffee. I said to her, Roger said he will do something about the price of the meal as it wasn't cooked to my specification when ordering. To my astonishment, she said " well you ate it all didn't you? cant of been too bad!" Well you can imagine at my fury. I said,come one Denise, it was not cooked right, call your husband over.

She said she would knock a couple of quid off, i said no Denise that is unacceptable. For the price you have charged me, nearly £15 for a very small plate and meal i think that is taking a liberty. I nearly walked out without paying for the meal itself, which is my statutory right to do if i am unhappy with the meal or service.

I said no, not acceptable, whether l ate the meal or not, it was not cooked correctly.

I said to her, well its up to you, l either come back or l choose another place to eat in the future. She said, "well i dont mind!!!!" totally shocking!! Has not got a clue about retaining clientele or customer service. Sheer and utter Nonchalence.....OH MY GOD

She said she would knock £4 off! Totally shocking. I said that is unacceptable by any standards. Is that the very best you can do?

So l paid and left.

I will NOT be returning to that pub ever again and i will be telling all my friends and family and sharing my opinions on facebook of which l have nearly 900 friends who live in the area and outside of my experience and not recommend this place to them.

Now with economy, one would assume you need to retain what business you have, and clearly they are not bothered or have any sense or nouse on how to please a customer.

Their prices are way above average, and what you get on your plate is very minimal.

Now I'm not normally one to complain but in this instance, i felt l had too.

My advice? Find a more friendlier place that cares about their customers and who gives a damn because clearly those people dont. Businesses who go the extra mile are the ones still standing.

This could of been avoided if they took the steak back in the kitchen and provided me a new medium rare steak, or halved the meal value. Not knock off a few quid! Disgusting.

3  Thank Paul W
landlordpow, Owner at Prince of Wales, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2017

This customer has been coming to the the pub for a few weeks now having a steak every time the price has not change, the size of the meal has not changed and I'm a bit confused about his comments in his review. Every time that he has been for his steak meal he ask the price and when told makes a grunt of disapproval. If he has not been happy with not only the size and the price why come back. Our steak meal is served on a large oblong plate and is a large meal, on placing his order his commented "make it a large meal put lots of everything I'm a big eater".The price is clearly in our menu he is always looking for a discount. This steak was cooked medium rare the juices on the plate were red in colour, he was given a £6.0 discount and still not happy, in our opinion he wanted a free meal. I rest my case.

Reviewed 17 March 2017

We discovered this gem of a pub around 6 months ago. We visit every week for an evening meal which is always of great quality and very well priced. The food is accompanied with a good range of drinks, something for everybody were sure. We also attend a fort-nightly quiz which is very well attended and very well pitched to allow both quiz beginners and "Eggheads" to be engaged. A very warm welcome awaits from Roger and Dee, and they have certainly made us feel very much at home and we look forward to our visits for food , drink and conversation.

Reviewed 12 March 2017

What I love about this venue is the warm personality it has. Coal fires, local people, wooden interior, absolutely delicious food. You're greeted by friendly staff, and there's usually a dog or two. Very popular and can be very busy.

Reviewed 9 March 2017

Lovely village pub. Went last night with friends for a meal. As usual food was
upto its high standards.Ribs were very tender steak and ale pie excellent. Eaten in
there several times and never been disappointed. Would recommend.