“Great dinner”
Review of Le Bouchon

Reserve with OpenTable
Le Bouchon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 109 Restaurants in Maldon
Cuisines: French, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Le Bouchon is a grade II listed, 300 year old Georgian building which has undergone an extensive refurbishment programme restoring the building to its former glory. The renovation period lasted in excess of 2 years, working many hours to create the right feel and ambience within this wonderful building, combining some of the original period features with furnishings and classically styled decoration that complements the building. Our restaurant offers a blend of both French and English Cuisine, set in a relaxed and intimate environment. Enjoy a meal from our A la carte menu in the main restaurant or choose from our wide selection of the menus available. Le Bouchon offer 14 individually styled en-suite boutique bedrooms each with their own character. All rooms have flat screen smart LED TV, telephone and FREE wifi access, choice of either hard or soft pillow, duvet or blanket and a complimentary breakfast.
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Had a great family dinner at Le Bouchon, wine list very good for a local eatery.

The meal was very good and well served, ambiance all a little pretentious , but I guess that's down to staff training and what people want!

Prices are on the high side of average but still a good night out for a special family event.

No real down side which is always nice to report!

Le_Bouchon_Maldon, Front Office Manager at Le Bouchon, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review, we look forward to welcoming you to Le Bouchon on another occasion soon.

We take all guests' feedback on board, and will consider your comments regarding the ambience.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 25 September 2017

It was my wife's birthday and we wanted to try somewhere new and further afield. This could have been a dangerous move but I am pleased to say that Le Bouchon lived up to its reviews on TripAdvisor. The meal was very good and the service was excellent. So why only a four rating. I would say that the food was expensive for what it is. Also the size of the portions is quite variable. My wife had a very small starter whereas my daughter and I had very generous portions. Luckily our mains were all reasonable size but I did see plates going to other tables that were very small. Overall I would defintely recommend it and we would go back for the right occasion.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit to us.

We take all guests feedback on board, so we shall pass your comments onto the kitchen.

Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

A touch of class that belies its surrounding area. Park in an industrial area, escape after a sumptuous meal and don't look back. Magnificent.

Reviewed 5 September 2017

We were staying near to Heybridge over the bank holiday weekend and as I had visited “Le Benaix” earlier in the summer, “Le Bouchon” was the obvious choice for something to eat on the Sunday evening.

The venue itself is set on the corner of a small business estate but don’t let that put you off, there’s ample parking and once inside you can enjoy the tasteful décor and relaxed atmosphere. We received a friendly greeting at reception and were taken through to the restaurant where we were shown to our table and asked if we would like something to drink.

The Sunday menu is a set price with some additional “Chefs Specials” for an extra charge. Our drinks were bought to the table, we placed our orders and were shortly offered some fresh bread to nibble whilst we waited. In no time at all our starters were presented along with our son’s main course so he didn’t have to wait whilst we ate. The dishes were presented beautifully and we tucked in, I had opted for the pork which was lovely and sticky with a crackling crumb and gels. My partner had chosen the scallops, plenty on the plate and they looked like they had been cooked perfectly, so far so good!

We had both decided on a roast for mains and once our empty starter dishes had been cleared the next course was brought to the table. Again, the presentation was very good but unfortunately the actual dish was not as good as it looked. The main let downs were the hard roast potatoes along with the dry Yorkshire pudding. When asked if everything was ok, I informed our waitress of my concerns and she did offer to change the potatoes but at this point I was a little disheartened with the dish and declined her offer.

We both decided on dessert and it wasn’t long before we had these in front of us. I had chosen the summer pudding which was full of flavour and a nice refreshing end to the meal, my partner had the Lemon posset and by her comments and the appearance of the dish, I had a little dessert envy.

We had some coffee before asking for the bill which was just under £100, this included a bottle of red wine and our son’s meal, plus drinks so not too bad for the quality of the meal (excluding the potatoes and Yorkshire pudding) The staff were very attentive and although the restaurant was closing shortly, we were never rushed and were allowed to enjoy our time at “Le Bouchon”.

The venue, staff and choice on the menu make this a good choice for something to eat but due to the small issue in regards to the main course I’m not able to give top marks. However, if I’m over this way again I would have no problems with booking a table again and trying some of the other delicious sounding dishes on offer.

A solid four but I’m sure on another day, five!

Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the your visit to us.

We are glad to hear that enjoyed your experience overall, however are disappointed to hear that our roast trimmings were not up to our usual standard.

We take all feedback onboard.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Le Bouchon sometime soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

Formerly the Benbridge Hotel and now Le Bouchon restaurant. Plenty of parking space. The restaurant is well appointed and tastefully decorated. Menu is excellent but a bit on the high side price wise but they do mid-week offers. You can be assured that the food is beautifully presented but on the small side portion wise. Staff are pleasant and attentive.