“Fantastic Restaurant but shame about the waitress”
Review of Il Camino

Il Camino
Ranked #16 of 113 Restaurants in Maldon
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Overall I have never ever had a bad meal here.

It’s sort of reasonably priced and very well presented by a long shot.

But....this particular occasion when I visited, the usual waitress that is normally there was absent and we ended up with a very cold, very off waitress.

There was no chit chat, and the way she just put our plates on the table and saying absolutely nothing like, ‘here we are I hope you enjoy , with a smile....’. ... no. None of that. It was like she put it in when she had too.

Ow bearing in mind we don’t get out much, and the time we do have as a family we like to enjoy to the fullest.

I will give it another try but if I experience this again I will be having a word with the establishment and tell them why I won’t be revisiting again.

The service charge you don’t have a say, it should be optional by the customer if they want to tip. Mandatory apparently. I don’t think that’s legal.

Overall the food was splendid.

Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

A very rare meal out and wasn't disappointed. Restaurant was quiet but that's not unusual for a Tuesday night....very good food and conversation with the waitress & owner. Will definately go back =0)

Reviewed 7 January 2018

Booked a table for Friday although shouldn't have bothered as the place was empty. Ordered starters and i couldn't believe it 5 over cooked and id guess frozen prawns in oily garlic sauce for £8,95! what on earth! 5 prawns! The main was ok , small amount of flattened chicken to fill out the filo basket and some sauce. Potatoes with burnt onion but the veg was nice , thank god for that i was starving. Cheese and 4 cream crackers ( Lol! ) for afters which i never normally have anywhere i eat but i was hungry , a couple of small slices of brie , a triangle of chedder and something else. Probably the most dissapointing meal we have ever eaten there. Have you changed Chef's or just cutting corners to keep down costs.
We won't ever return.

1  Thank Dawn C
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

Went here Saturday night, food was great and staff were very friendly. Great atmosphere also. Will certainly be going again

Reviewed 23 September 2017

Was curious to try, you have to knock to get in, but actually despite being a beautiful building surprisingly lacking in atmosphere, The menu is lacking in pasta depite being italian. Ordered aubergine starter, a firm favourite, what arrived was 2 thin slices of aubergine (hardly a stack) in a bowl of passata. My main of chicken although slightly overcooked was in a lovely sauce and the pasta main was good however the pork belly far from being melt in your mouth was tough. Only one dessert was ordered and the pannacotta was also a disappointment. We were asked if it was an occassion when we arrived and I said it was my Birthday, I have no clue why they bother to ask, no sparkler arrived stuck in a cake lol. My first and sadly probably my last visit which as a local is a real shame.

1  Thank Carol E