See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 September 2016

I stayed here for one night from 7-8SEP2016. Unfortunately, the weather was terrible and driving to Mount Fuji we couldn't see anything, climbing Mount Fuji we couldn't see anything, and descending Mount Fuji we couldn't see anything and were drenched in very steady rain. So having a solid rest and place to change, eat a bit, and use the bathrooms at the Fujisan Hotel was great. I got the feeling that this is the best guest house on the mountain. They even have Wi-Fi! But don't expect hotel-like accommodations. This is a mountain guest house. You will sleep in a large room bunked up very closely to other guests. But it was fine. Oh, and I think the information center and pretty much everyone out there overestimates how long it takes to hike. At the Fifth Station Information Center, they estimated 5 hours to the Fujisan Hotel. It took me and my girlfriend 2.5 hours. Then they estimated 1.5 hours from the Fujisan Hotel to the summit. It took us 45 minutes. We are pretty fit, but weren't running or anything. Also, doing the climb 7-8 September, at the end of the season, was great! There weren't very many people on the trail at all.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Evan S
Reviewed 11 September 2016

Look we were expecting cramped accomodation and seeing as we only got 5 hours sleep it was acceptable.

However we payed 7200 yen to stay there and were still expected to pay 200 yen overtime we wanted to use the bathroom, completely unacceptable, the last thing I want to do every time I need to go is fumble through my bag for some coins. When you are paying so much money to sleep on the floor the least you can do is include the toilet in the fee.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Olly_128
Reviewed 7 September 2016 via mobile

Staying at Fujisan Hotel was quite the experience... The sleeping accommodations are two level bunk beds but everyone is lined up next to each other and cramped in like sardines. My boyfriend and I were unfortunately placed next to a snorer so our ear plugs were a godsend.
It looked like there were other resting huts further down the mountain that provided more private accommodations but that leaves you with quite a hike to make it to the top before sunrise.

Food wise I would recommend eating their dinner but skipping the breakfast. The dinner was warm curry rice with a sausage patty. Breakfast was a bento with cold rice, "beef" from a sealed pouch and a juice box of green tea. They also have things like cup of noodles, soda and beer that you can purchase separately.

If I were to do this again I would probably stay at Fujisan hotel. It's one of the closest huts to the top and the staff are friendly and speak fairly good English.

Also, the tips from the review below mine are great!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa O
Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

Don't expect much... I would typically give this place 1 or maybe 2 stars but then again it's a hostel on a side of a volcano!

Sleeping accommodation is basic. Don't expect to sleep much. Make sure you're comfortable with whoever you're next to. It's essentially a massive bunk bed crammed with people. At the end of the day if you're tired you will sleep anywhere.

The employees are friendly. Hats off to them as they have to put up with tired, grump, smelly hikers day in day out.

Food it hot and available 24hrs a day. Be grateful. they also serve beer too.

Bring plenty of ¥100 coins for the toilet.

Suggestion:

1. bring ear plugs to sleep
2. If you're a good hiker then I suggest you book a room in another hotel at the summit. Saves you from making the hike up at 2am.
3. Wet wipes.
4. Bring a hip flask with whiskey
5. Book a hotel with an Onsen for post hike pleasure.

Enjoy.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Marc M
Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

"He who climbs Mount Fuji is a wise man, he who climbs twice is a fool", and if he has to stay in a mountain hut I can understand why! Staying in the Fujisan hotel is an experience I never want to repeat, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world! We stayed as part of a group with Fuji Mountain guides, tightly packed into bunks, don't expect to get much sleep what with people snoring, late arrivals and getting up for the loo the night soon passes and you're woken at 2am to climb to the summit for sunrise. It is what it is, very basic but a welcome retreat from the cold and wet outside, and the curry and rice meal was actually quite tasty.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple