“Made me feel dirty”

Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Kumarakom
New York
“Made me feel dirty”
Reviewed 28 November 2009

The landscaping is great but the rooms are pretty gross-- and the food is really, really bad. Don't stay here. The staff is disinterested. The hot water was unreliable and the power went on and off. You can find something better.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lizbeeNewYork
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
India
Reviewed 18 July 2009

This is totally SURPRISING FOR ME: At the time of check out from this hotel, I was then informed that there was some on-going dispute between Indian Voyages, who arranged the package along with Cleartrip, Mumbai and the Hotel Backwaters and Indian Voyages owe Rs. 27,710/- to the Hotel. I was even given a letter addressed to me stating that you should clear all the dues on their behalf as you are there guest.

The front office manager informed me that I should first clear these entire dues i.e. Rs. 27,710/- and then only he would allow me to leave the resort. He told me that you cannot move out this resort and they have a lien on my entire luggage and told me to settle all the dues. He told me that the said amount is due to them for last one year and 'Indian Voyages' is not clearing the same and now they would like their guests to clear out. The front Office Manager even tried to pull my wife and my daughter out of the car and seeing my anger to this, he stepped back. He even tried to take out the car keys and even informed one of his boys to close the resort gates.

So, by now I felt that I along with my family have been abducted (kidnapped) and been held as hostage for a ransom of Rs. 27,710/-. I even told the front office manager that I will call the police and to that he stated do whatever hell you want to do, but you and your family can only leave the resort after paying off Rs. 27710/-.

Being an Advocate with Delhi High Court, I was also carrying my Delhi High Court ID card and when I showed him the ID, he was bit alarmed but still reluctant to let me and my family move out of the resort.

Then I called Mr. Pai, of travel agent and told him about the problem but the front office manager was still reluctant to let us move out of the resort. Later on I spoke to the Manager (Mr. Unni) of the said resort, who was very rude and he told the front office manager to take one day rent from me and let me go. I paid off Rs. 4025/- (Rs. 3500 + taxes) and moved out of the Resort along with my family.

Immediately after moving out of the resort, I called up Mr. Unni and he told me that he is not at all bothered about what all had happened with me and my family and he was doing this recover his money from 'Indian Voyages'. He told me that this is his type of mechanics to recover money from 'Indian Voyages' and others. He also told me that he will continue to do this with other

This entire one hour incident left my wife and daughter petrified spoiling my entire Kerala Holiday which was going fine so far.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank Manishtully

Travellers are raving about these Kumarakom hotels