We were given an upgrade to a heritage mansion which, initially, we were pleased about until we saw the room. It was semi-detached with a huge bedroom upstairs, a dark sitting room downstairs, and, off this, an open-air shower room. The problem was that, if you wanted to go to the loo during the night, you had to negotiate the steep, creaky stairs. The other unpleasant side of this was that you could hear everything going on in the bathroom next door. Most of the rooms were in bungalows which, although smaller, would be much more convenient and private.
That aside, the place is delightful with hammocks along the lake-side and plenty to see and do. Pedestrian access to the local village is beside the staff canteen and you can walk along the river and see life going on around you. A trip along the backwaters was well worthwhile with lots of people and birds to watch. We also went on a birdwatching trip round the property with Geethu and saw 33 different species. There are wetlands here with hides where we saw a monitor lizard as well.
Despite the inconvenience of the bathroom, I have given this a 5 star rating as it was such a lovely place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Coconut Lagoon is CGH Earth group's 'celebration of Kerala' on the Vembanad Lake, Kumarakom. Built on a coconut grove with water channels in between, this is truly a unique experience for the guests. As a responsible tourism venture, this eco resort brings alive the culture of the place as well as take good measures to protect the environment through its many recycling and protection processes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, ClearTrip, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly and Agoda so you can book your Coconut Lagoon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Coconut Lagoon Hotel Kumarakom
- Coconut Lagoon Kumarakom, Kerala