Review Highlights

A beautiful Sanctuary

Reviewed 30 March 2018
Roger B
Mojacar, Spain

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We stopped today on the way back to Málaga from Lucena. The Sanctuary was beautiful. The altar and statue of Our Lady Of Araceli we’re inspiring. It was a beautiful day and the views were spectacular.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

I have passed the area many times and on this occasion I decided to make a slight detour to visit this sanctuary. It is possible to drive right to this sanctuary on tarmac roads and upon arrival the view through 360 is truly tremendous and worth the trip alone. The sanctuary itself is absolutely beautiful inside and most awe inspiring. The altar is very pretty and even for the non religious would be worth the visit. I can highly recommend.

Reviewed 22 February 2017

We hike up to the sierra now and again for the amazing views and fresh air. Rumour has it you can see five provinces from the top but I've never been so lucky with the sky. In any case, peaceful small church, you can see local icon Araceli, and there's a small bar at the top for a wee beer.

2  Thank Jadyjames
Reviewed 28 December 2016

I visited the hill top sanctuary of Araceli last Christmas. It was pretty cold and extremely windy, but I rather enjoyed that part of it. The ride up was relatively short and curvy. Once we made it to the top, I enjoyed more standing outside looking at Lucena and the sea of olive trees that surround it from atop the tiny mountain, feeling the wind try to throw me backwards. It was a pretty cool spot. I'm not surprised it was chosen for Araceli's sanctuary.

So as I understand it, every city has it's own virgin that they revere. Lucena's is Araceli. There's a joke I've heard in town saying that if you don't know a girl's name on the street, just call her Araceli and you're probably right.

Araceli'a little church atop the hill was cute and small, and I found it funny that the virgin herself appeared rather ugly to me. But don't tell that to a Lucentine. ;)

On the trip back down, there was a little restaurant where we stopped to take refuge from the wind and warm ourselves with a bit of coffee.

I can't say this is the most beautiful thing you'll see, but it was a nice little trip for the day and I had fun, so I'd recommend visiting it if you're going to be spending any time in Lucena.

2  Thank al336474
Reviewed 20 March 2015

Visible from the Malaga-Cordoba motorway, the sanctuary sits atop a conical hill commanding extensive views. Araceli is the patron saint of farm labourers, and the sanctuary contains a church with ornate decoration inside, a gift shop, and a bar where great tapas is available. Follow the signs from Lucena, park up and enjoy the scenery and atmosphere of the sanctuary, even if you are not religious.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

High on the hill that overlooks the city of Lucena is the Hermitage of Our Lady of Araceli, the patron saint of Lucena. Its address is Calzada, 16. The sculpture was brought from Rome by the Marques de Comares. The hermitage was constructed in the 18th century in a Baroque design. There is a magnificent view of the countryside from the hermitage, and one can see five provinces, namely Malaga, Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Jaen. On clear days one can see the Moroccan coastline. There is a pilgrimage bringing the statue of the Virgin down to the Church of San Mateo during spring, and it is returned to the Hermitage about a month later.

1  Thank BennyMalaga