“Perfect relaxation at Ti Kaye”

Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anse Cochon
Reviewed 26 August 2009

After much research on-line, my husband and I stayed at TiKaye for 4 nights after my sister-in-law's wedding at another resort on the island. We were here with in-laws, and had an adjoining room with them, which worked out perfectly. I think that I can speak for us all when I say that we truly enjoyed our vaction here. Even my in-laws in their late 50's and early 60's enjoyed the tranquil environment, and were able to brave the long stairs to the beach quite easily. Although, on one or two occassions, they did mention feeling a little out of place, noticeably being the oldest people at the resort, which does seem to attract younger honeymooning couples. Some comments perhaps not mentioned in other reviews:

FOOD: Collectively, we found that the food was often a little more spicy than we would have liked, especially at dinners. The $10 breakfast buffet was very good, offering just what you would want and expect at a vacation breakfast (especially for the price) - fresh omlette station, some buffet choices (meats, vegetables, pancakes), standard breakfast pastries, cereals, juices, etc. Lunch down by the beach bar was very good, and portions were large enough to share, especially if you were planning a larger dinner. Dinner at the main restaurant was very good also, especially since the menu changed every night, and offered variety.

CREOLE NIGHT: We were a little intimidated about the Wednesday night Creole night buffet at $35 US per person, since (as mentioned above) we're not huge fans of spicy foods. But, without any other options convenient (taxi rides to other locations are rather expensive and lengthy), we gave it a try, and were all pleasantly surprised. The complimentary cocktails on the yoga deck before the dinner allowed us to mingle with other couples at the resort (although my in-laws had much less in common with the other guests, and mainly stayed to themselves) as well as speak with the uber-friendly staff, who really did get to know everyone's name by the 2nd day! And, after the dinner, the live band steps it up a notch to play more lively and fun music to dance to. Seeing my in-laws to the dollar dance here was worth the price of admission! :)

MINI-BAR SERVICE: We were very pleasantly surprised to learn that the items offered in the mini-bar to be quite reasonably priced for a resort -- $3.50 for a beer, $2 or $3 for snacks of crackers, peanuts, $2 or $3 for bottled water, etc. We found it convenient to order some items before heading out for the day and have them in our room for a snack upon our return mid-afternoon.

THE ROOMS: Our adjoining room was spacious, well-appointed and well-maintained. I was a little nervous at first about the outdoor showers since I was the one who booked the hotel and wasn't sure how my in-laws would take to that idea. It was a big hit, and everyone really enjoyed them! The shower is located in a small (10x10) outdoor room with very high walls (12 feet high) and palm trees, so it is very private. One item that would have been appreicated in the rooms is screens on the windows. St. Lucia seems to be overrun by mosquitos (I was bitten from head to toe), and it would have been nice to open the jaoulise windows without fear of letting in the insects. We kept our windows closed and turned on the air conditioner, but it would have been nice for some natural ventilation sans bugs. One other note about the adjoining rooms -- we could hear muffled conversations from one unit to the next, which wasn't really a bother for us, but could put a damper on your privacy depending on who stays next door.

SNORKELING: This is without question the best snorkeling that I have EVER experienced! My husband and I rented the snorkel gear from the dive shop for a day ($13 per person per day), and spent almost the whole day exploring the undersea world at TiKaye's beach. Get out there early in the morning to avoid the boats that come to the bay bringing flocks of people from other resorts and to see the best fish. In our day, besides the typical reef fish (very beautiful and colorful in their own right), we saw a large sea turtle, school of squid, sea snakes, and picked up a starfish that we saw about 10'-0" down (we put him back). The north side of the bay is much more plentiful of fish than the south side, which tends to be murky after a heavy rainstorm. We were told that there is a wreck that sunk in the middle of the bay 60'-0" down where you can dive, but we didn't venture out there with our snorkel gear. This may be a great place to learn to dive if you feel ready!

SECLUSION: This place is extremely, extremely secluded from almost everything else on the island, which is, in my opinion, both its appeal and downfall. This is the absolutely perfect place to go if you just want to get away from it all and relax, as everything you could want is right here at your fingertips. However, if you'd like to see any of the sights on the island, you're in for a long ride from this place. We all tried ziplining (very fun -- highly recommend) while we were staying here, and found the drive to the ziplining park to be about 1-1/2 hours each way. Even the closest town, Marigot Bay, where we visited the Rainforest Hideaway for dinner, was about 25 minutes by land taxi (and $25 per person round trip). If you're going to go somewhere and stay put, this resort is great, but if you want some adventure in your trip, it may be a bit inconvenient.

THE ROAD: Yes, the road is bumpy and unpaved, and takes about 10 minutes to get to the resort once you turn off the main road. Maybe I was prepared for this since I'd read other people's accounts prior to going, but I got used to it after awhile, and found that it added to the sense of adventure. Just think of the experience as though you're on "safari in the rainforest," and you may even get into it.

I'd be very happy to come back to this hotel with my husband for a nice relaxing long weekend. What a wonderful, laid-back and unpretentious place to unwind. Keep up the good work, TiKaye, and we look forward to our return visit!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank Amush
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 25 August 2009

We spent our honeymoon at Ti Kaye in June, and could not have been happier with our St. Lucia experience. The staff was professional and friendly, and many had learned our names by the second day of our stay. The cottages were clean, private, and comfortable (not to mention air-conditioned!). We found the food to be excellent both at dinner and the lunches at the beach bar. The beach and pool were great as well, and we spent a few of our days kayaking and snorkeling right from the Ti Kaye beach. The spa was great as well!

We also did several excursions, including the Land & Sea Tour and the Friday Fish Fest in Anse La Raye, both of which we would recommend. If you are up for a physical challenge, the Piton hike is a great workout with amazing views of the island. We also took a water taxi to Marigot Bay for a night out at the Rainforest Hideaway, which was an incredibly memorable experience and worth the extra money.

All in all, we probably spent $700-$1200 more than we would have at one of the all-inclusive mega-resorts, but for us the personal touch and secluded feel of Ti Kaye made it worth a little extra. We couldn't have asked for a better trip and can't wait to return to Ti Kaye!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mschling52
Reviewed 22 August 2009

My Husband and I just spent a week at Ti Kaye, the first week in August.
We were celebrating a 10 year anniversary and picked Ti Kaye because of the great reviews and because it didn't look like the usual crowded all inclusive resorts that just aren't our style. We have traveled quite extensively and stayed at many quality hotels through the years. I had never been to St. Lucia before and wasn't exactly sure what to expect. We picked Ti Kaye because it looked secluded, quiet and really nice...which is exactly what we were looking for--- our daily lives are hectic, running non-stop through cell phone calls, the television on 24/7 and living at work. I try to research places well before chosing them as vacation spots so, I had read many reviews on Ti Kaye and was a little scared about a couple of things: The people who complained about the road into the resort and even advised taking Dramamine, the people who complained about the stairs, and the people who complained about the fact that there wasn't a lot to do. Bottom Line: Those people probably should seek out a cruise or a Sandals next time.
Let me say, the trip ended very differently than it began. We had a long day in the airport and on the flight...so, we were tired when we arrived in St. Lucia. It was about an hour and a half getting to the resort and once we got to the road that leads to the hotel...saying it was a bumpy ride is an understatement. (Yes, it's bad but, advising you take Dramamine is kind of ridiculous). My husband and I looked at each other as we were making our way to the resort like, " Are you kidding me with this road?" A couple of minutes later we arrived. We were hot and tired as we were welcomed at the office. Once in the room, it was steaming hot as the air conditioning unit had been off all day. To top it off, we noticed there were these weird bugs everywhere!!! We got dressed, went down to the restaurant and noticed the bugs were all over the table! I got back to the room and thought, I'm usually pretty good at picking these vacation spots but, I may have made a mistake this time! The next morning, I saw Ti Kaye in a totally different light. The air conditioning unit had cooled off the room nicely. The spacious deck off the room was a wonderful place to take in the morning sun...a very comfortable hammock became a place my husband and I raced for to read a book or magazine in. The side deck was great too with a plunge pool and comfortable lounge chairs. (The pool was a decent size, I took a float and it was big enough to lay in.) Our room had a great ocean view, the rooms come with an I-pod dock, we turned it on and bought some Piton beers at the local grocery ( I would highly recommend bringing your I-pod and asking the driver to stop at the store for beer and snacks on the way in, there's a nice size fridge in your room.) It all made for some nice afternoons...just doing nothing at our cabin. The outdoor shower is also awesome! The other great and strange thing that happened. The annoying bugs were suddenly gone! Another couple told us, a staff member had explained it was actually just a weird fluke that this swarm of bugs came in on Saturday night....after that, they were gone?!! We hardly saw a bug, I took a ton of bug repellent with us because I was worried about mosquitos and we really didn't need it!
The beach was really nice. ( I found some short water boots to take with me because I read about the rocks leading out to the beach, the boots were a little dorky but, I looked like a genius while other people were trying to avoid the rocks! Crocs would work also..) The snorkeling is great right at Ti Kaye's beach! You can do that everyday for a small fee, or you can get a kayak which comes with your stay. Terry, put chairs out for us...and ran drinks back and forth for us all day long...he was great! The beach restaurant was very good...with nice portions, the sandwiches and fries were great. A couple of days we ate a late lunch and skipped dinner, because we had snacks, beers and cokes in the room. On the Tai night they have at the restaurant, we ate at the bar and got a pork dish that was awesome. The next night I had a great filet and I'm very picky. We went to the Wednesday night cocktail party where you meet the staff, it was fun and the dinner after that was good featuring more local foods. We also went to the Friday night fish fry with Styne as our host... he was awesome because he's from the area...and he told us what was a good deal. I would definately recommend it. We took a water taxi to the Rainforest Hideaway Restaurant which I would also highly recommend (they take cash and visa/mastercard. Word of warning--- they do not take American Express and neither does Ti Kaye) . We also did the wine tasting with Cleus/he's awesome!!! And we did the Land and Sea tour which is a good way to see the southern part of the island and the Pitons. We met some very nice people throughout the week ( from Denver, St. Louis, Bloomington and Phoenix)...most were like us...looking for a nice quiet beautiful retreat (no screaming children!!!) The staff truly makes this place great...all were wonderful but, we had a chance to get to know Natalie, Gus, Cleus, Terry, Stein, Nigel and Lita a little better than some of the others...these people are amazing, they are professional, greet you with a smile, know your name and give you the kind of attention that a great resort should require. As for the stairs, I can really only understand the complaint if you are greatly out of shape or have a health issue, if so, you may want to choose another resort. There are a lot of stairs to go up and down but, for us after eating and drinking all day at the beach, a jog up the stairs became good excercise for us..it's no big deal. The road into the resort also became no big deal because we only went in and out a couple of times because we loved the place and really didn't want to leave. It also made sense for the resort because it causes people just like us to want to stay on the resort and it keeps it safe by keeping other people out. Oh!....and the spa...we went twice. I get massages on a regular basis and the ladies from Bali were well qualified and extemely good! The waves crashing on the rocks underneath you was pretty great. Plan to spend money if you go...we spent about 17-hundred dollars on food for the week, excursions, the spa, etc. You don't want to be at this place worried about how much everything costs, that will wreck your trip. Save money, plan ahead and have fun! We plan to save again for another trip back! My best advice, If you want a man made beach and a pool bar...Go to Sandals or just go to Florida. Ti Kaye is an experience !

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank detailskentucky
Reviewed 14 August 2009

Ti Kaye was an absolutely wonderful place to stay. My husband I got married and honeymooned here in June. The wedding was arranged by Lita and she was wonderful and made everything so easy easy for us. We arrived very late on a Friday and we were greeted with rum punch and warm welcomes after a very long day in the airports. Our room was amazing. We had an ocean view room and the view was beautiful. My new husband I saw several beautiful sunsets. We did not get a room with a plunge pool but we didn't really need it. The hotel pool was very nice and most of the time didn't have anybody else around. The outdoor showers had a Garden of Eden feel to it with the tropical plants in the shower area. I loved the outdoor shower. Even though the rooms had shutters and were open we did not have a problem with bugs at night. We did keep them closed at night and we did not need to use the mosquito netting on the bed.

The main resort restaurant was delicious. Ever dish I had for dinner was wonderful. I have no complaints about the quality of food. I do feel that they were a little on the expensive side but I still enjoyed every bit of my dinners. David the bartender made great drinks. The strawberry surprise he made me one evening turned out to be my favorite of the whole trip. The breakfast buffet was great. There were a lot of choices. My hubby and I usually had breakfast late and then we were able to skip lunch and have a regular dinner. The 5 minute free massage before dinner was a great touch!

Although there were many steps down to the beach we didn't mind it too much because we would spend most of the day on the beach. The beach was great except it did get overrun with the Sandals and Carnival boats for snorkeling. Most of the time they were either out in the water or to the far right and didn't bother the guests of the hotel. Rainbow Man and Lucky 7, some 'residents' of the beach were nice and respectful and didn't bother us at all.

The snorkeling out in the beach was a lot of fun. My husband and I snorkeled every day out there instead of spending the money on a snorkeling trip.

With our wedding package we did get a wine tasting and a private dinner on the deck. Cleus did the wine tasting for us and he is very knowledgeable on wine. The variety of wines available were amazing and it was great to hear the history behind them as well. He definitely was not stingy in pouring the wines. You got more than a taste! Our private dinner on the deck was beautiful. It was just the two of us and very intimate. The food was again delicious and I would not have changed a thing. The hotel had the deck decorated with flowers everywhere and lining the railings of the deck. It was a prefect setting for an intimate romantic dinner with my new husband.

We also had the opportunity to have an hour long couples massage. I must say that this was amazing and very relaxing. The spa over looks the ocean and has a beautiful view. They even have mirrors underneath the massage tables so you didn't miss the ocean view while getting your massage.

In regard to the wedding... The planning and whole process was so easy. Ti Kaye arranged for a Taxi to take us to Castries to see the lawyer to get our license to be married. The actual lawyer visit only took about 30 min but we were lucky enough to be able to walk around Castries and see some of the city. Lita at Ti Kaye helped arrange to have someone do my hair, and hire the photographer. I was given two choices with my bouquet. I chose to have a tropical bouquet. I am sad that I had to leave this in St. Lucia due to customs. We also had a wedding cake and we had a choice in flavor too. The cake was delicious. I loved it and was sad that I had to leave half of this in St. Lucia to. If only I could duplicate the recipe! The photographer they hired, Ray took many beautiful pictures despite it being overcast and cloudy. They still came out beautiful. We were married on Wednesday, the same day the manager has her cocktail party for the guests. After we were married we attended the cocktail party still dressed from getting married and the cocktail party was almost like a reception because we had the open bar, the buffet dinner and the dancing afterwords. It was awesome!

The hotel did organize a trip to the Friday night Fish Fest and they did a great job with this. The staff member that went with us was very knowledgeable and showed which vendors to buy from and even let us taste some local rum!

As for cons I would say the road to and from Ti Kaye was awful for somebody that gets car sick. Other than that Ti Kaye was wonderful and made my wedding, honeymoon and vacation absolutely perfect. I could not have asked for more and I would not have changed a thing. Every person on staff was wonderful and the Resort was wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank treasurehunter37
Reviewed 13 August 2009

My wife and I stayed a week at Ti Kaye in April. We agree it was the best vacation we have ever taken. The ride to the resort is long and curvy, but you get a chance to see the island and you get a chance to stop for drinks. Going home we went the opposite way to the airport; so we got a chance to see the entire island. Our arrival at Ti Kaye exceeded all of our expectations. Walking into the bar and seeing the evening sun sparkling across the ocean was perfect start to the perfect vacation. The staff were both very attentive and personable. After one day they knew us by name and were incredibly polite and helpful. They made every effort to accommodate any request and were more than happy to assist with anything we needed. The resort is stunningly beautiful, the sunsets are picturesque from anywhere at Ti Kaye, the open air bar and restaurant lets you enjoy both the wonderful views and the magnificent weather, the spa is breathtaking (we suggest getting the couples massage overlooking the ocean!!), and the beach is both big enough to spend time alone with your spouse but small enough to get drinks brought to you from the bar. The snorkeling is great in and around the bay. We brought our own snorkel gear, but you can also rent snorkel and dive equipment at the dive shop. One must do is scuba diving. My wife and I have never scuba dived before, but after watching a movie at the shop and a taking a quick hands on lesson in the water we were able to go on an hour long dive in the bay. It was amazing! The colors were more vibrant than anything I could have imagined! We also took a few excursions. Word to the wise…the Piton Hike is not exactly what the brochure says…it is 1/5 hike and 4/5 climb. I consider my wife and I to be in fairly good shape and I was expecting a modest hike up the mountain, but what we got was a grueling 4 hour hike that left us soaked in sweat, exhausted, and worthless for the rest of the day. The hike was fun and the views at the top were one of a kind, but it was not what I had in mind for “vacation.” Ti Kaye is pretty far away from any town or activity so it is almost impossible to shop for food or groceries. We had planned to get lunch meat and drinks for the fridge but never made it into town. Although I am sure Ti Kaye could have arranged a ride for us, we decided to get meals from the Beach Bar and Ti Kaye main Restaurant. The dinner meals were somewhat expensive, but very good. Several nights we got sandwiches and a bottle of wine at the Beach Bar and ate on our porch for dinner. The resort is perfect for couples wanting to get away and enjoy themselves. There we no kids and no crazy college bars which suited us fine as we came to Ti Kaye for the romantic aspect. Although there were no “crazy and loud” bars there was plenty to do. The bar serves great drinks and always has a special. Plus, a band played one night, there was a cocktail party for everyone (catered by the resort), free 5 minute back massages every other evening before and after dinner, and you could always take alcohol back to your room. We also highly recommend the personal wine tasting…which was awesome! If you want to get away from it all and you are going to the Caribbean to find a relaxing paradise to enjoy with your spouse then go to Ti Kaye!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
9.2 km away
Stonefield Estate Resort
Stonefield Estate Resort
#3 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Ti Kaye Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK