“The wonderful staff make TiKaye a special place”

Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anse Cochon
Reviewed 30 January 2013

This is my VERY LONG OVERDUE and long trip report and review from November 2012.

We arrived November 26th for a 6 night trip to TiKaye. We have 2 little ones at home, so this was a trip to RELAX and not do much of anything. This was our 5th trip to the island, having stayed at Sandals La Toc twice, Ladera, Body Holiday by LeSport, and one cruise ship visit. We have seen and done a lot on the island, so we were OK to just to sit on the beach for most of this trip.

Spencer Ambrose:
Our airport transfers and one “tour” was by our friend Spencer Ambrose. We are privileged to call him our friend. He has built up quite the reputable tour business in the years that we have known him, and he deserves all of the blessings that come from it. He is so professional, takes his business and reputation very seriously, and gives his guests the best possible experience they can have in St. Lucia. Many times he has drinks for us in his vehicle for our enjoyment. He makes it a point to be the first guide to some of the popular spots (i.e. Jalousie beach break) so that his guests get the best choice of beach chairs. He provides ample food, drinks, his famous rum punch, all included in his fees. I have never met anyone as generous as Spencer. Really! If anyone is trying to plan a tour on the island (or even a hotel transfer), I would google Spencer Ambrose tours. I really can’t say enough good things about him.

Transfer to TiKaye:
Spencer did our transfer this trip. He was more than willingly to accommodate us in taking the slower West Coast Road, so that we could have sunset drinks at Ladera on our way to TiKaye. Having stayed at Ladera before, we know what a special place it is especially at sunset. We arrived at about 4:30pm (not bad for a 3pm arrival on our Delta flight) and promptly ordered my favorite Ladera punch (fresh ginger is the secret ingredient) and my husband’s favorite Piton beer. Sunset at this time of year is around 5:30pm. And in the winter, the sun sets between the Pitons. When we were at Ladera in May, the sun set to the right of the Petit Piton. The winter sunset is incredible! What made this Ladera stop even better was we met one of the owners of Ladera, Holly. Her dad bought Ladera when it was condo apartments and kept them from being destroyed. He made the resort into what it is today. She even brought us 2 glasses of champagne and tons of complimentary appetizers. I can tell that Holly and her family take pride in their resort and their staff. I hope that we will be able to stay at Ladera for a few days for our next trip.
Since we stayed past sunset enjoying our conversations with Holly and the other guests at Ladera, it was dark by the time we arrived at TiKaye. The road to TiKaye is rough, but supposedly a lot better than it used to be.

TiKaye:
TiKaye is everything that the previous reviews say it is. It is a relaxing place where the staff makes every guest feel like family. The things that made the biggest impression on me were all of the incidences where the staff went above and beyond their job description to make us happy.
My husband noticed that there were no bananas at the breakfast buffet our first morning. We asked Ronald and he went somewhere and 10 minutes later brought us a huge bushel of bananas. He even asked the next day if we were taken care of with bananas.
Terry brought us an ice bucket every day to allow us to chill our drinks. We did purchase some drinks from him as well, but at the beginning he didn’t know that. He just brought the bucket no questions asked.
My husband was at the front desk requesting our water taxi for a dinner getaway at Rainforest Hideaway. Rob, the dive shop manager, happened to be there and offered to drop us off at Rainforest Hideaway in his dive boat on his way back to Castries for the night. They did not charge us at all for this.
When I asked the front desk (I have forgotten the nice lady’s name) about the type of beautiful oil they have in the oil diffusers in the rooms, she tracked me down on our last morning to bring me a small bottle of it with the label, so I can order it when I get back home. That was such a sweet gesture, and worked out to be a lovely souvenir.
Cleus is great. He was very accommodating even when there appeared to be an overbooking at the wine tasting. He has so much knowledge about wine. TiKaye is blessed to have him there on staff.

Jalousie Beach Break with Spencer Ambrose:
Spencer also was kind enough to offer to pick us up at TiKaye by boat and take us on his Jalousie beach break tour that he was doing for cruise ship guests that day. His boat driver, Raymond, and boat guide Terry are fantastic, too! This is a cruise ship tour that he operates out of the port in Castries, but since it is a tour by water down to the Pitons, they just picked us up. Spencer couldn’t be there with us that day as he was tending to a big wedding party, but he called me personally to check in that day to make sure everything was going well.

Rainforest Hideaway:
As I mentioned before, Rob and the dive crew boat dropped us off at Marigot Bay on their way back to dock at Castries. This was an incredibly generous act. The water taxi quote was around $140 R/T. We only paid for the taxi return which was $25,I think. Rainforest Hideaway was not that impressive. Our food was just ok, and I really didn’t think much of the view compared to others I’ve seen on the island. It is good to do once. But I don’t think I’ll be back. We did see quite a few naked men hanging out (and even peeing in the water) on their boats while traveling through Marigot Bay. It was pretty comical, actually.

Anse La Raye Fish Fry:
So fun! It was pouring rain. All of the newlywed husbands went back to get their new wives the room umbrellas. My husband said, “we’ll be fine. It will stop before we even get there.” Well, it poured rain for the first 45 minutes we were there. I was soaked as most of the venues are open-air. But the food was great (lobster, fish cakes, etc). The music was fun. We stayed and went back on the second shuttle to get to enjoy the party more. However, after the first shuttle left, the band went on break. They didn’t start again until 10 mins before we needed to leave. The TIKaye guide stayed with us, but I really didn’t see him during that last hour. If we weren’t hanging with another couple, I would have not felt as comfortable about staying for the late shuttle. But, it was so worth going. It was a highlight of our visit.

Ladera Brunch:
We went to Ladera again on Sunday on our way to the airport for their brunch starting at 11:30. It was delicious. The avocado salad, macaroni and cheese, and red snapper were our favorites. Almost all of the dessert choices involved chocolate, but my favorite was the chocolate panacotta. Their brunch price was $35 pp and also include a Ladera punch (not sure if rum was in it.) They have the best punch with fresh ginger being the secret ingredient.

Other things that I wanted to put in my review that I don’t think have been emphasized previously…

1.The beach chairs at TIKaye are awesome. About 90% of them have big pillowtop cushions. There are about a half dozen cabana tents to give more shade if you want it.

2.The bugs at the beach were only bad on the last day. We did notice a major difference when
they did the burning of leaves in the morning. It really helped with the bugs.

3.Room O (Oswea) is a oceanview cottage. This kind shares the building with another room (P). Even though it was on the way to the gym, no other people’s rooms were on our path so we never saw another guest from the balcony of our room. We did have to pass many people’s balconies on our way up and down, so their rooms were much less private. For the $, I would much rather stay in a private non-pool room, than a room with a pool that people can see into more easily. In fact, if I wasn’t guaranteed to stay in one on the water’s edge, I would request room O.

4. The Monday night seafood dinner is not “on” the beach. It is at the beach grill on the beach. The menu is fixed price for 5 courses (around $50 pp.) It was pretty good, except the fresh catch that day was dry. The regular dinner restaurant is open that night as well.

5.The buffet on Wednesday is actually worth it. I usually avoid buffets on vacation. It had very yummy soup (seafood chowder) and an excellent pasta dish. Many things were available to try, which gave a better sampling of the chef’s abilities.

6. The meals at TiKaye are overpriced. Breakfast is not included and is $15 pp. It is a lot of food, but I wish there was a less expensive option for maybe a togo box of breakfast foods for the room. We usually eat the big breakfasts when vacationing, but since they don’t include breakfast in their room price, it seems a bit much to add $30 each day to eat breakfast. Dinner is expensive for what you got (you aren’t eating at Ladera) and seems to be very similar options each day. Shellfish dish (they all tasted about the same), Catch of the day (always snapper except they ran out one night and had tuna), then a few more choices. Wish there were more spicy dishes.

Overall, it was a great trip and TiKaye is a very special place.

More pictures and video to come (won't let me load more than 3 pics right now.)

Room Tip: Room O is a great budget choice. No hotel guests pass your room to get to theirs. Great view from...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank shamrock317
TiKayeGM, General Manager at Ti Kaye Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

Hello Shamrock317,

Thank you for your very detailed review – I think you know almost as much about St. Lucia as Christian, our head of Transportation (and your Spencer I’d imagine). St. Lucians are very, very friendly and helpful people in general and it seems as though you have a great friendship with Spencer. I’d like to add that I believe our guys are as good as Spencer (although I am biased!) and I’ve had nothing but good reviews on Christian, Andrew, Simeon and Magnus – all do a fantastic job whether it’s airport transfers or tours. We may not have the Pitons view … but I’d say we do have one the best sunset views on island to compensate.

Thanks for mentioning our amazing staff especially Ronald, Terry , Rob and of course Cleus (always get a mention). Anse La Raye fish fry Friday is always popular with our guests and again, our transportation team do a great job with the shuttle buses – as well as Styne, the guide (also our pool technician by the way). Beach cabana’s (pergolas as we call them ) and the thick cream sun bed cushions are new – and very luxurious. We have those round the pool as well.

The Monday night 5 course seafood buffet at Ti Manje has again only been running for a few months but has proved to be very popular and always books up in advance. ‘Ti Manje’ is the name of our beach grill & bar which is down at the beach, not directly on it as you correctly highlight - although being only about 10 steps away I’d say is very close. Great that you decided to sample our Wednesday night Creole buffet, it does provide an insight to some of the more local foods, and as you say the Chef’s skills. Hopefully you also enjoyed the Managers complimentary cocktail hour before the Wednesday buffet, and the local live band that played afterwards?

Thank you again for your review and comments. As I have said before, these (and your detailed comment cards on checkout) do help us to change and improve. Myself, Sarah and the F&B team have actually been looking at breakfast options - and I believe that if you return to Ti Kaye you’ll be pleasantly surprised at what we will be offering as of 16th April 2013 onwards!

Chris Relf

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 24 January 2013

Our last trip to this resort and my last review was two years ago. Since then new management has taken over and some of the staff has left. The staff that is still there are still great. Some of the changes that I can only assume management has made is not so great. We used to be greeted with local flowers on our bed spelling out welcome, but that has gone. The food in the restaraunt has gone the way of most french bistros (smaller portions and higher prices) and frankly it wasnt that great. The wine selection was tremndous and the wine cellar was very nice. Cleus was helpful as always in selecting a bottle for dinner. We had grown fond of the wildlife around our cottage. The bird are fun to feed from your hand and the lizards are cute. The night we came home to find a hairy spider as big as my hand in front of our cottage door we decided maybe the wildlife wasnt so cute. We killed that spider only to find another the next morning. We reported it to the staff and they said they would spray for them arount the cottage. We never saw any more, but that bell had been rung and I found it hard to sleep the rest of the trip. The beach was decent. I went snorkeling one day and was almost ran over by a party boat entering our cove so my snorkeling was cut short so we walked back up the 169 stairs back to the resort. All in all our trip this time was less enjoyable than previous trips. I will not be as eagar to recommend this resort to others in the future. For the money I will be more likely to try one of the other resorts on the island next time.

Room Tip: Nich is a very nice and private room.
1  Thank camcvey
TiKayeGM, General Manager at Ti Kaye Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2013

Hello McVey,

Thank you for your kind words about our staff and mentioning our tremendous selection of wines (445 different winesand a stock of over 2,500 bottles!) and of course, Cleus – our Sommelier – he’s extremely knowledgeable and is a great asset, as are all out staff.

We have been informed by housekeeping that they unfortunately had to stop putting flowers on the beds long before Sarah and I started as they received many, many guest complaints about ants on the bed. Housekeeping still like to do something special for people who get married here, or are celebrating an anniversary (so please make sure you let us know in advance of your special occasion).

As always, food opinions are unique to each individual but we are sorry to read that you thought the food was not as good as the last time you were here in 2009. The menus have actually (unfortunately) remained the same since 2008. However, Sarah and I along with our new Executive Chef William Ryan and his F&B Manager wife Ghislaine (and of course the resort owner) have just finalized some new VERY exciting menus ... to be posted on the website shortly!

St. Lucia is quite an expensive island for most things, and unfortunately this includes items such as food. Importation tax is high and when you add that onto things such as lamb (from New Zealand) and Angus beef + shipping it unfortunately does make food items a bit more expensive than what you might be used to back home. Fish is of course local and extremely well priced – and our 5 course fish dinner on Monday evenings down at our Ti Manje beach grill has been getting excellent reviews. As mentioned previously we do constantly ‘price check’ ourselves against many other restaurants on island that are of a similar standard to Kai Manje, and always find ourselves to be very, very competitive.

Wildlife comes in many shapes and forms. I believe December 2012 was wetter than usual and this could have contributed to the ‘additional’ wildlife in your room, happy to read though that once you reported it there were no more occurrences. Completely understand about the “that bell had been rung” comment. As a result of your review (thanks for posting) the owner and I are looking into what we can do to minimize this kind of ‘wildlife’ in the rooms.

As for the boats in the bay, I do apologize for this. I won’t go into detail as I have before, but November and December 2012 were very busy boat traffic months and prompted me to take action – which I have. The situation has already improved and by 1st March 2013 several Government bodies and the Catamaran owners themselves have agreed to implement a system that will hopefully mean everyone gets a win-win.

Thanks again for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

This is a very late review as I visited here for my honey moon a while back, but I wanted to share my experience nonetheless.

Let's start with the good. The majority of the staff is very pleasant to deal with. I wish I remembered names of the couple of people that stood out with their excellent service. The manager seems like she genuinely tries to make your stay as enjoyable as possible and always has a smile on her face greeting everyone. The cottages are just beautiful, very private and rustic. It's not something you experience much on vacations (we stayed at Inosan cottage). Outdoor shower is a very cool idea and as newlyweds we certainly enjoyed it. I did get a little tired of showering outdoors in the elements a few days in, but my wife loved it. The beach is amazing and the beach bar has very good food and cocktails. Also, the breakfast buffet is terrific. I love nature and reptiles so being in what seems like the middle of the jungle was a great experience. I found a Boa late one night slithering around the walkway and picked it up, took it back to our room for some pics and released him. I'll never forget that experience as I am a snake lover!

Let's do the bad now, shall we? Although I did rave about the staff there are a few bad apples who throughout the week seemed very bothered by us. Any question we asked we got a very short, rude reply. We are newlyweds happy out of our minds and we are here to enjoy this why act that way with us? As for the cottages, if you're not into nature this may be overwhelming. You will see wildlife crawling around here and there, that comes with the territory. It didn't bother us, but I'm sure it can bother many. No room service which is a big thumbs down, no TV which I mean come on there's only so much you can do in the room at night. Although we did request one at $10/day!! We asked for certain things to replenished from the mini fridge and it would take forever for them to deliver. Dinner was terrible. My wife and I tried the restaurant 2 nights. Overpriced food and we did not like it one bit. We had to eat at the beach bar which has good food as late as possible (closes at 4:30) just to skip dinner. However, the biggest complaint was the pushy disrespectful vendors at the beach. Insisting we buy their things, gawking at my wife inappropriately, smoking weed! (right next to a family with children!), I mean come on can't the hotel get rid of these hooligans? And the most popular negative complaint- cruise ships dumping loud, obnoxious, disgusting, drunk people there playing loud music for hours on end. So I payed over 4 grand to stay here, but you get to come here from your crappy cruise and ruin my vacation? Very annoying. Lots of walking anywhere around this resort, completely secluded with nothing to do and everything closes early, but you've read this before.

To sum up I would give this place a 3.5 if I could. We got what we wanted from a honeymoon. A calm secluded place. However try as hard as you can to keep busy or you will hate it because there isn't anything to do. We have great memories here, but the vendors at the beach and cruise ships dumping off passengers will keep me from coming back in the future.

Room Tip: Don't get the plunge pool, not worth it. Sits in the shade all day and is always cold.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Established1988
TiKayeGM, General Manager at Ti Kaye Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2013

Hi there Established1988,

No matter how long it takes to write a review or when you get round to posting it, they are always helpful to us – and I’m delighted that you are still thinking about Ti Kaye almost 1 year after your visit.

Katie (the previous General Manager) left in August last year after almost 5 very successful years here. Sarah and I have worked at and managed other resorts in the Caribbean as well as other parts of the world, and we actually stayed at Ti Kaye as guests back in 2006! Hopefully we’re doing as good a job of making guests feel welcome and enjoying their stay?

We are located on a Cliffside on the edge of the forest (not sure I’d call it a ‘jungle’) so do have lots of nature and wildlife around us. That’s part of what makes Ti Kaye so natural and romantic – we’ve built ‘into’ the forest as opposed to cutting it all down and concreting everywhere. Boa’s are natural to St. Lucia but unfortunately are few and far between, as is the St. Lucia parrot. I’ve only been called 2-3 times in the last 6 months to move a boa (usually a juvenile). Also not sure I’d advise people to pick them up and take them back to their rooms for a photo opportunity, but hope it smiled for your camera?!

I fully agree, newlyweds or not, all guests should have the best service and most courteous treatment possible. I have not read many comments on this lately so hopefully this is getting resolved, although training is always an ongoing process and Sarah, myself and the Management team will continue to do so.

As for dinner, as mentioned in my last reply we had a new International Executive Chef join us in October 2012 and subsequent legitimate reviews have been raving about Chef Bill's food, although as stated in one of my previous replies, every persons palate has highly individual tastes.

Finishing off with the beach vendors (not to be confused with the ‘Beach Dude’ who is employed by us and provides a beach drinks service to our guests) and cruise ships boats. Again, agreements have been put in place for the boats in the bay issue and once that has been resolved (improved already) I will start working with the NCA with regards to the beach vendors. In general they’re a helpful group of guys, on one occasion a new groom went swimming and lost his wedding band – some of the beach vendors went out snorkeling and found it for him.

If you do decide to return at some point in the future, I’m sure you’ll find many, if not all of your concerns have been addressed since your visit almost 1 year ago, and will maybe take advantage of the many, many tours and activities we offer on a daily basis.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

It's very interesting reading all the previous reviews and then reflecting on our experience. Some of the things we loved about Ti Kaye other people seem to be often irritated by! This is particularly true when looking at some of the things about the resort that can't be changed - so my biggest piece of advice is that if you know that frogs croaking at night, or gorgeous little birds coming to visit your deck, or climbing 160+ steps, or having a "bumpy ride for 15 mins" will spoil your holiday then don't go! BUT after 8 days I would say the positives of Ti Kaye far outweigh any little niggles.
HIGHLIGHTS: The setting is beautiful, fantastic sea views, being able to have your morning coffee gazing out at the azure Caribbean with the occasional white sails floating past is a great start to the day. The cottages have huge decking/private verandahs with double hammock, chairs etcl. We didn't have one with a plunge pool and didn't miss it, we had cottage D (Dwive) which is the next line back from those with pools ( a bit like being in the Grand Circle versus the Stalls at the front!). No problem with the view and very spacious, always kept really clean, lovely comfortable bed.
I have to mention the Spa, amazing to lie there feeling the breeze from the sea, hear the waves AND then the massages are divine. The two Balinese therapists are among the best I have ever experienced (and I have experienced a lot!). My husband is usually not keen on massages but we both had three here as they are so good! Beach and the service from Terry is very good, great snorkelling. The beach is at it's best in the morning before the larger boats visit in the afternoon.
Overall we found the service to be very good and the staff were very friendly, there is a new restaurant/bevarage manager Ghislane and she was very on the ball and is setting some good standards. The food on the whole was pretty good but for those of us from Europe it is overpriced for what it is. 75% of our meals were good to very good, but two nights not so good, fish overcooked, veg bland. If you want to both eat 3 course every night than the meal plan is the better value, we didn't want to do this so for us it was better value to pay as you go.
If you want a bit more independence and want to do more but don't want to pay the very high taxi prices (a real shame) do hire a car, especially if you are used to driving on the left, you won't have a problem. Also if you speak to the local guys on the beach you can get a "water taxi", a lot cheaper and we were really well looked after. We went with them(ask for Sunshine) to Chase Astanet (20 mins) to go mountain biking for half a day, it was brilliant and a lot nearer and cheaper than the trip organised by the hotel. We also hiked up the Piton, very challenging climb, steep and uneven (and I work out hard 5 times a week) but a great experience and worth it for the views on the way up and at the top
If you love spending time together as a couple relaxing and recharging the batteries as well as the option of more active pursuits then Ti Kaye will be a beautiful, special place for you - as long as you don't hate frogs, birds, lizards(so cute!) and steps!

6  Thank Bella426

Hi Bella426,

Thanks for the fantastic review. Not much to add really as you've said it all.

I see the journey time down our road is reducing … it started at 20 minutes, you say 15, I say 6-8. Think I’ll have to compromise on 10 minutes!

We appreciate your very kind comments on our Kai Koko Spa (voted #3 out of the top 25 Caribbean Spa’s on tripadvisor in 2012). As well as Diana and Dewi (the two Balinese therapists) please don’t forget we also have Theresa – who is our St. Lucia therapist and has been with us for several years (as have a lot of our employees).

Terry always gets mentioned and our new F&B Manager Ghislaine (who joined in October 2012), and her Executive Chef husband Bill are both doing an AMAZING job and are definitely “on the ball” as you say. Chef Bill is just finalising the new evening dinner menu and all I can say is WOW! Fantastic local ingredients with top quality cooking and presentation – a winning combination (will be uploading a sample menu to our website soon).

As for the local beach vendors, a great bunch of guys and generally very helpful, although I do have to state the official Company line “beach vendors are not employees of Ti Kaye Resort & Spa and are highly likely not to have insurance, neither may un-official guides that offer cheaper tours” - so please keep that in mind.

Thanks again for your review.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 18 January 2013

We were after a quiet and relatively isolated break. We got quiet, and certainly isolated, but be aware of a few things that dont immediately jump out of the brochure.
You will certainly enjoy a quiet and relaxing time on the hotels' beach - until the frequent catamarans arrive that is - and dump their cargo onto that beach for a snapshot of your tranquility - only to sound their horns a little later to initiate the inhalation of that very same tourist cargo - all the while playing their own selection of music(not yours) just loud enough to be unbelievably annoying throughout the resort.
Beware also the out-of-control taxi fares on the island, forcing you into the less satisfactory group run - hence the isolation. You will be charged the same rate whether or not you travel alone in the cab, or they pack 13 of you into it. Also add in 20 minutes to traverse the hotel grounds' potholed access road whenever you travel in each direction.
When we checked out on new years day, and queried the taxi tolls - the receptionist showed a shrugged shoulder attitude towards our questions - and felt satisfied that handing us a comments form and a pen was the right (and only way) to deal with it. It was this that left the most bitter of tastes.

Room Tip: Avoid the room near the gym, and if you can - go for the rooms on the ocean furtherest from the lobb...
5  Thank Ian R
TiKayeGM, General Manager at Ti Kaye Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Hello Ian R,

Thanks for your time writing and posting your review, we greatly appreciate it.

I won’t go into huge detail (as I did on my first tripadvisor reply) but would just like to highlight some areas; I attended a favorable meeting last night at the Fisheries Department with regards to the “frequent catamarans”. This was attended by various Government Directors and Chairmen, as well as catamaran owners (where I showed photos and copies of yours and others tripadvisor reviews, so ‘thanks for the help’) Even though we have one of the best bays in St. Lucia (which obviously makes it popular), everybody agreed on some major steps (starting today and finishing on 1st March 2013) that will not only enhance Ti Kaye guest pleasure, but also the passengers on the catamarans.

As mentioned previously, the Ti Kaye road to and from the main road takes 6-8 minutes and is due to be repaired this year. The taxi fares are generally pretty standard in St. Lucia - but I’d say no more expensive than many other islands, or cities in fact. I am concerned about ‘how’ your query about that was answered though and am addressing it.

I hope apart from the quiet break your were looking for there were other positive things for you to fondly look back on, and that the points you mentioned above did not spoil your Christmas and New Year vacation too much.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Anse Cochon
9.2 km away
Stonefield Estate Resort
Stonefield Estate Resort
#6 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Ti Kaye Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK