“We tried none of the amenities, so have no comment there.”
Review of Doreta Beach Hotel

Doreta Beach Hotel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Tholos
Reviewed 25 June 2012

The entrance lobby is very special but nice.Out of the 2 rooms we had, 1 was small, the 2nd was ok, but both were quite noisy.We paid scant attention to some reviews critical of the size of the rooms. It turns out they were justified. Rooms were so small there was only room for a double bed and no dresser. The staff was courteous, but the front desk appeared to be understaffed at times, resulting in longer wait times than we would have liked.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 June 2012

I have to admit that when you book a hotel and its rated 5* you expect a certain standard. We arrived late on a Saturday night and placed in a shocking room. Myself, fiance and 5 yr old son were given no info on arrival and placed in a disgusting room. This had a welcome party of a number of animals including a mouse! I immediately went back to the reception and asked to move room...... I was asked why?????? I responded with the above welcome party info and was advised " its Greece not the UK " !!!! I was in shock..... I forgot that greeks live with mice and a number of other creatures. The food was sooooo bad that on one night a couple we met had taken some food from the buffet and found the turkey was uncooked. They approached the staff and advised them so no further guests would run the risk of eating this and they were told oh dont worry just get another bit. If your british then dont go as all the family fun we found was in french or german. WORST HOTEL EVER!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Stuart S
Reviewed 21 June 2012

The hotel was not as bad as I was expecting from reading some of the reviews.

The food was fine. Breakfast had lots of choice. Cereals, contiental, bacon, eggs, crepes, omelettes, toast, fresh bread and the list goes on. If anybody can't find anything to eat at breakfast then frankly they are just too fussy and I would be interested to know what they actually expect for breakfast?

Lunch and dinner was fine. There was always something to eat. Maybe sometimes a little basic, but there was always something. Feta cheese salad was always available and there was always a different joint of meat. I reccommend the pork stuffed with apricots. It was very nice.

The snack bar served toasties and hot dogs from 10am and Spag Bol and Salad from 12pm.

The pool bar was open from 10am. All the staff were friendly. At night due to the entertainment being in french we used to go and sit at the pool bar with a lovely view of the beach and the barman were really good. They used to do all kinds of tricks with the drinks when making cocktails etc. There talents really are wasted at this hotel. They work very, very hard. In the 2 weeks we were there they did not have one day off and probably worked about 90 hours a week.

Not so good points.

A week prior to our holiday I had checked the hotels website as you do before you go away. I noticed that it said that the air conditioning would not be in rooms until 15th June. However, in the Thomas Cook brochure it says June. From this I presumed that the air conditioning would be from the 1st June. I emailed the hotel, but never got a response (although myself and my husband had emailed them several times over the weeks leading up to our holiday to ask about paying for a room upgrade, but never heard back). Co-op Travel emailed them and also didn't get a response. When we arrived we asked about the air conditioning and were told by reception that Thomas Cook have a contract with the hotel and they know this information. The rep said she would speak to them, but the hotel couldn’t do anything due to it being a central system. Let’s just say I don’t think anybody got a good night sleep in their entire stay.

Unfortunately we also had a maisonette, so our bedroom was on the upper level of our room and because heat rises it was red hot and the floor at night felt light it had under floor heating in it. When the air conditioning was put on the day before we were leaving it was in a box under the stairs so didn’t make a difference to our bedroom whatsoever. When using the courtesy room, which was better than the room we had that had a proper air conditioning system with a remote.

On the first Monday evening of our holiday we booked into the A La Carte restaurant, which said in the brochure was included in the price. We ordered our meal and our drinks. I had been drinking the hotel wine for dinner the last two evenings, so I ordered one again. My husband was never asked if he wanted a drink. When my drink arrived it was a bottle of wine. I didn’t think anything to it as I had been to other hotels with A La Carte Restaurants and they had done the same and just thought it was part of the package. When we had finished our meal a bill was brought to us for 17 Euros for our wine. We didn’t have any money on us apart for a tip so my husband had to go back to the room and get some money. We didn’t agree with paying, but didn’t want to make a scene in the restaurant. My husband asked for a receipt, but they wouldn’t give him one. He then went to speak to the Restaurant Manager, Seth who said he should have come to him and he did give him a receipt, but he would have to get a refund from reception.

When going to reception he was told that he would need to speak to the General Manger in the morning. In the meantime another couple were also complaining that they also had to pay for wine and water in the A La Carte.

The next day we were going into Rhodes, so didn’t get to see the manager until the afternoon. The very rude receptionist said that he had refused to see us and that she would give us a refund just because we had kicked up a fuss and if you had gone out to a restaurant you would have been expected to pay for wine. Understandable yes, but why should we pay for wine in one room when they room next door we could have had the same without a 17 Euro cost. The receptionist didn’t just leave it there and said that all you British are the same and always complaining and don’t bother booking in the A La Carte restaurant again as you are not welcome neither are any of the other british.

This really upset us. We didn’t want to be there. We rang the in resort service as it was our reps day off. They said that they would need to speak to the rep. If we would have been in the UK and this had happened we would have gone straight home, that’s how uncomfortable we felt. We spoke to the rep the next day and she had spoken to the resort office. She asked the receptionist who had said the remark about the British and she said she didn’t know, but later admitted it was her, but didn’t seem sorry in the slightest.

To get to anywhere in the hotel from where our room was we had to walk past reception, which we really didn’t want to. Our rep tried to see if she could get our room changed and it was also a holiday for our first wedding anniversary. The Reservations Manager said he could change our room, but it would cost 200 Euros. So we were stuck with the awkwardness of the receptionist for the next 10 days.

On the Saturday we got ready and went in the buffet restaurant. There was always a woman on the door; I am not sure what her job was. She never moved, always ignored you when you said hello. On this particular evening I was wearing shorts and my husband long trousers as it said outside the restaurant. I had wore short the majority of the time I was there. She refused me in the restaurant and said I had to wear long trousers. Looking in the resturant my husband spotted other women in shorts and asked about them, she just ignored him and said that I had to change. I went and changed. When observing in the restaurant it was clear that she was just telling the British to change and there were lots of women and men in fact in shorts. The policy and the door said men must wear long trousers, which my husband adhered to all the time.

The restaurant staff were also very busy apart from the one woman that stood at the door as I presume a meet and greeter but never greeted anybody just ignored them. Seth the restaurant manager is great.

Overall we had a good holiday apart from the little points. The food isn't as bad as everyone makes out and there is something for everybody.

Room Tip: Upgrade your room, apparently they are a lot nicer.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank kel230288
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Just returned from a 2 week stay at the Doreta overall we had a great time. Hotel Pool Area very clean we were on the 1st floor Standard Room which was fine bathroom a bit small but we were only there to sleep and get changed so good enough. Room was cleaned every day. There was always something to eat be it hot dogs toasties from 10am and Spag Bol and salad from 12pm at the outside taverna with drinks on tap. Breakfast was very good all the nornal stuff eggs bacon beans frankfurters mush cereal yougurt bread cake cold meats and salads. Lunch and Dinner always found something to eat no complaints. Loads going on during the day with the FRAM Animation team from France nice bunch of people who work really hard for prob not a lot of money. Boules beach volleyball footy pilates dance lessons cooking lessons darts and silly games. Evening entertainment is limited but we met some nice people and just chatted away the evenings.
Few Tips Taxis all set price (Airport 13 Euros much quicker and cheaper than transfer on coach), Rhodes Old Town worth a trip and Water Park Faliraki hire a car for this cheaper than taxis 30 euros a day for a small car. TheHotel hire towels I didnt see that before I left and if you have to vacate your room early on the day of departure they have a courtesy room available for a shower and change.
Few negatives pool too deep I do like a game of pool volleyball no chance. Pool bar short staffed in the evening circular so no queing system. Had a bag stolen in the hotel while playing pool so keep eye on valuables people can just walk in off the streets in hotels and money is tight over there.
Thanks to Latimus Pantelis Nicklos Lydi Charlene Carl Tibout and Charles

Dont be put off by negative reviews nice hotel great setting on the beach lovely sunset every night weather in the 90's what more do you want.

Room Tip: Floors 3-5 are the new updated rooms
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank sunofabeachKent
Reviewed 18 June 2012

just returned from hotel .2nd trip much money has been spent in six month but they need to do more.aircon needs to come on earlier in season .cater for other nationalities .stayed on3rd flooor rooms spotless and roomy .staff very hard working and friendly .language being a problem .best local bar has to be billy,s excelent in every way .we are returning in september .holiday is what you make it

Room Tip: 3rd to 5th floors are worth extra money
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank neville a
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tholos
0.5 km away
10.7 km away
Electra Palace Rhodes
Electra Palace Rhodes
#2 of 32 in Ialyssos

Been to Doreta Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK