Plas Talgarth Holiday Resort
US$ 107
Cefn Crib Caravan Park(Pennal)(Great Value!)
White Lion Hotel(Machynlleth)
US$ 133
  • Breakfast included
Penmaenuchaf Hall(Penmaenpool)
US$ 278
All reviewson sitey garthindoor poolmansion housethe kitchenbar and restaurantpitch and puttsteam roomstunning viewsbunk bedsself cateringchanging roomsleisure facilitiestable tennisthe snowdonia national parkliving areamacdonald hotels
Reviewed 9 April 2018

We have been owners for at least 25 years and encouraged our German friends to rent a villa over Easter this year.

They had no hot water for 78 hours even after an early report to staff, when checked later with reception they were told the housekeeping staff and gone home so there was nothing they could do.

The reception staff Cherly and Les were extremely unhelpful and arrogant throughout our stay. The swimming pool was closed on a number of occasions for cleaning and residents only found out if they went to go swimming, no residences were called to say when the pool was closed or re-opened.

We met with the Manager of the site at the tail end of the holiday and he was very disingenuous. He did not seem to take our complaints seriously and empathise with our upset at how run down and badly staffed the resort has become. Also, it was only on leaving and talking to the Manager that we found out that there was the offer of free tennis, billiards and golf whilst the pool was shut. Communication was extremely poor.

The ONLY plus and saving grace of the resort are the wonderful staff in the spa downstairs, They offer brilliant treatments with excellent customer care and friendliness. The grounds keeper was also charming and informative.

The whole experience was thoroughly disappointing. We are now considering selling our unit as the whole experience has gradually deteriorated over the many years we have been visiting Plas Talgarth. A terrible shame as it is a fantastic location and in its hay day was a destination we looked forward to visiting.

Room Tip: Can't comment but most villas are very run down.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank hillsdonbandb
Reviewed 8 April 2018

Having been owners for over twenty years of a damp Villa in august we have just returned from our final trip to Plas Talgarth having bought our way out.First the plus points- the grounds are well maintained but do not expect the outdoor heated pool to be open year round,the pool and spa is good, the pub is warm and friendly(the weekly quiz is good) and the place has wonderful views and is a good base for visiting the area.

Now the downside which lets the whole resort down,the units and we have stayed in several over the years have a general air of neglect and malaise.Upon opening any unit door they all have a distinct smell of must and damp.Superficially the units look ok however on closer inspection you can find damp peeling wallpaper in the villas making some rooms uninhabitable for those prone to asthma,holes in doors where door stops have smashed through,scratch marks on doors caused by errant dogs,carpet edges still dust ridden and the tops of wardrobes in patio five on the dates we were there so dirty we could have written our names in.Cosmetic cleaning only.A supervisor needs to be employed to take charge and raise standards of cleanliness and maintenance.This was reported at the end of our stay as in previous years however standards remain low.We owned a unit sleeping six but never felt we could invite guests to such a poor resort compared to others we own.

Patio 5 has a fifty five inch Smart TV but what use is this when the internet reception is so dreadful that you have to go to the bar for the internet.Why spend our maintenance fees on partially redundant tvs when everybody wants decent wifi reception.

Overall we have usd our unit sparingly preferring to exchange into far superior units both home and abroad.We are relieved to leave.

Room Tip: Choose one in the mansion house
Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ethelred
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Stopped here for 3 nights in the mansion house apartment 11.

I was very concerned after looking at some of the other reviews, however I simply can not agree with the negative comments. We found the apartment, clean tidy and very warm with beautiful views.

We used all the facilities;

I had a treatment in the spa which was fabulous.

The pool area was again clean, tidy and the perfect size for a few lazy lengths, the steam room and sauna again nothing to complain about.

We also used the gym, a wonderful place for a workout with great views.

We had dinner in the restaurant and the food was very nice and I wouldn’t have said over priced at all.

Staff in the reception, spa, restaurant and bar were very friendly and gave great service.

The only down side, we went to have a game of snooker but we’re told by a gentleman that there was a tournement on, we thought it was an organised evening event, however it wasn’t, just guests hogging the snooker room who then went off to have dinner. Exspecting no one else to use the snooker room (maybe theses are the guest that give negative comments)

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2018

We were guests of our son and daughter in law who booked a week in Bungalow 10 at the end of March. We were previously owners at Plas Talgarth in a lodge between 1977 and 2001.
The bungalow looked a little worse for wear on the exterior (broken slabs and steps) but inside it was in reasonable condition. I thought the original design made the most of space with Lobby and cloaks cupboard, integral lounge and kitchen (including dining table), rear hallway and shower room. There were three bedrooms with a bathroom including airing cupboard.
Generally it was furnished well and furnishing was comfortable with 52 inch TV with freeview channels. Heating was by efficient wall mounted electric heaters. The kitchen had dishwasher, fridge/freezer and microwave. The indoor Pool was warm - changing rooms, very warm! The Jacuzzi very very warm!!
We noted that the trim track has now been done away with - sad!!
You have to sign in to use the Pools – under 12 year olds must be accompanied. Mens lockers have to be operated by a electronic number system - 2 lockers had been damaged and wouldn't function. You still get issued a towel.
We ate in the bar, they honoured our 10% off owners card. My wife enjoyed her fish and chips, my chicken burger was fine. 2 beefburgers were ok.. Service was positive. Our bill came to £41 for 4 including drinks.

Access to wi-fi was a real issue – I found some access but it was a constant source of frustration as the signal dropped out and you had to re-sign in.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We got here at 4pm and put the heaters on through out as it was freezing. We also called reception as the extracter fan in our bedroom was making a racket. After an hour we realised the rooms were still freezing. Another hour later we went to reception and were told all the rooms were the same. And we could have another convector heater. This would help heat one room not all of them. We have used it all evening and it's still freezing. We will check back with reception in the morning. Hopefully they can fix the heaters or move us to another unit.

Update.
I had to call someone over an hour later as we could not get the oven to work and the cold in the house was even worse. My wife was on the settee under a quilt in her coat.
When he got here I straight away said you can see how cold it is here. He said no I'm sweating in here. He then thought it would be OK to wipe his hand across his brow and show me the sweat on his hand. This just before he showed me how to use the cooker. GREAT .
We told him we weren't happy and that the heating needs to be sorted or we need to be moved. He then said I will look when I get back and I will Call you soon. Its 5am now and still NO CALLBACK.
As he left he said its warmer in here than outside.
I must point out this was after 8pm in Snowdonia.
I didn't pay all this money for wisecracks. I expect it to be warmer than outside after 8pm in Snowdonia.

We have been here 12 hours now. As I write this at 5am I have been awake for 2 hours. I am the type of person who never sleeps under a quilt. Generally it's barely over my torso as I like to be chilly in bed. I feel like I am in a caravan. It is freezing. Yet the heating has been on for 12 hours.

We also have this annoying dripping sound in our bedroon that is literally driving me nuts. Every 5 min it drips for about 20 seconds, but as it is 5am and my wife is curled up under the quilt with her pyjamas on wrapped in a hoody I can't turn on the light to find it.

I can say one nice thing so far. I like the open concept living room, kitchen. The room area is nice and big and has a nice big new television and the kitchen looks nice.

Something else I don't understand is the kids room with the 2 single beds has the very nice spacious corner bath with adjacent steam room and yet the adult bedroom upstairs has a small bathroom with a small bath. I would suggest changing these around.

As you can see from the pictures I think we are in the oldest building here. The veranda which is where we are meant to relax looking at the lovely countryside is disgusting. With duct tape along the window sill I'm assuming to cover some of the draft.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family