All reviews very friendly and helpful staff short walk from the train station next morning old city walls first stop perfect location the owner breakfast town office pilgrims roncesvalles start camino spain wifi
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

My husband and I had booked an airbnb, but the woman running it was a no show when our train came in. It was 22:30, raining, and the town was deserted. We tried to find any place in town that was open so late, and the staff at the Itzalpea stayed open to let us use their wifi to try to contact our airbnb host and even helped by calling a neighboring hotel to see if they had any rooms available as Itzalpea was booked. They did, and I am so grateful for their help!

Date of stay: July 2017
2  Thank Alexandra789
Reviewed 9 July 2017

Stayed here for two nights prior to walking some of the Camino. We found the hosts to be very friendly and helpful, especially patient when we tried our our poor French language skills. The hotel was well located in the town, rooms clean and adequate for a short stay. Breakfast was suitable for a day of leisure or to begin walking the Camino. Windows can be opened for fresh air - important for us! Our room faced the main street but the town fell silent at night probably with all the pilgrims getting an early night.

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank prpn
Reviewed 29 June 2017

I asked for and received clear directions from the train station and found the hotel with the yellow umbrellas very easily. It is about a ten minute walk or less. At the start of the Camino, a friend and I had a nice large room--no air con during a very hot spell in Spain but a nice fan that kept things reasonably comfortable. A bathtub. Good breakfasts. Helpful and friendly front desk and easy stroll to citadel, center of town, etc. I would highly recommend.
Some rooms apparently have only ceiling windows, so I would check on that.

Room tip: If a real window is important, make sure to confirm that. Not sure if any rooms have air con or not.
Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank hashihime
Reviewed 15 June 2017

It's basic enough. Nice kind of comely/ quaint, oldish type hotel but with a bit of character to it. The service was very good. I have no complaints about the place other than I thought the breakfast could have been a little better value. Overall, a clean traditional hotel with good service and a friendly smile.It's in the town centre, just a 100 metres to the main streets.

Room tip: Ask for a front of house room as rooms in back seem to be smaller.
Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank liptonvillagegalway
Reviewed 5 May 2017 via mobile

Not much street appeal but quite a lot of charm in the rooms of this sweet hotel. Great starting point for excited pilgrims setting out on the way to Santiago de Compostela. Lots of hot water, comfortable beds, free wifi and a generous early start breakfast.

Date of stay: April 2017