All reviews underfloor heating english owner atlas mountains berber style local guide day trip huge pool wonderful hotel stayed here for nights mint tea gardens are beautiful adventure park away from the hustle and bustle traditional burger tagine taxi driver retreat
Reviewed 5 January 2018

Definitely the worst experience of our 15 days trip in Morocco :
Kasbah Angour provides low services and quality regarding the price of the room and restaurant. The owner is grumpy and aggressive which makes you feel uncomfortable from the very first moment. The food is probably the worst we had both for diner and breakfast. For us, Kasbah Angour remains the worst souvenirs of Morocco, both for the quality of our stay and the hospitality of the owner.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank fm198751
KasbahAngour, Owner at Kasbah Angour Atlas Mountains Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2018

We were very disappointed to read your comments, especially as many other guests have said how much they enjoyed staying at Kasbah Angour over the New Year period. We know that you were upset about booking conditions being applied to your early departure due to a last minute change in your travel plans. We can be flexible but run an ethical business and will never refund under the threat of a negative online review.

Reviewed 2 January 2018 via mobile

Absolutely beautiful location with views over the surrounding hills and snow capped mountains in the distance. So peaceful and quiet. Hotel itself is a beautiful building looking newly constructed from large stone blocks in the style of an old castle or fortress. Gardens are beautiful. Hotel room accommodation moroccan style; shuttered windows ; tiled floors with underfloor heating; large beds. Small terrace facing the mountains with seats and table. Very nice.

Main remarkable point of the hotel is the quiet. It really is the quietest location I have ever been. This is the place to go back to nature or off the grid

While we were there a group of yoga/walkers was also staying in the venue and there are many short and long walks and cycle rides or tours possible in the local roads/tracks.

We took a short half day excursion from the hotel to a local market and tour of the mountains and Berber villages. Lots of great scenery and photogenic villages. I'd recommend this to get an insight into how people live in the local area.

The hotel is staffed by locals and they are very keen to please and help but sometimes need to be found. The service is not like a traditional hotel; fitting with the scenery and feel of the place but taking a little time to get used to. Very relaxed and an almost homely feel to the place. It is like staying in your own Berber castle retreat.

There is no other western or even Moroccan cafe or venue near by the hotel so everything from a food and drink perspective is in the hotel. The quality of food is very good and everything is freshly prepared to order. However the choice is quite limited - usually a choice of three or four dishes - and this might not be what you're used to in such an upmarket hotel. All very nice as I say but something to come to the place aware of.

We stayed over the New Year and the hotel handled it well with a gala dinner, Berber musicians and the staff leading with the dancing and encouraging us all to be involved. Rather a nice evening.

So overall a lovely location, nice stylish hotel, good food and very keen staff. But not like your usual international hotel.

Recommended it but come with an open mind and be prepared to relax and take everything at a different pace.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank drdave10
Reviewed 8 November 2017

We stayed here for three nights in October. Paul, the owner, was pleasant and welcoming, and gave us a tour of the premises and a told us the story of how he built the place. Quite an undertaking, particularly when you are committed to supporting and enhancing the local area and sourcing local workmen and local produce wherever possible. We found our room beautiful, roomy, either warm or cool on demand and beautifully clean. As the Kasbah is quite isolated, we ate all our meals on site, and we found them tasty and reasonable value. The wines were excellent; Paul chooses all of them himself from Moroccan vineyards and judging by the ones we tried, he is a real connoisseur. We teamed up with another couple and went on two 'expeditions' with local guides. The first one was a half day, described as 'moderate', which I found easily manageable and I'm not at all fit. The second one was a full day, described as 'energetic' and that was pretty hard work, but I managed it all in my hiking boots and felt I'd really achieved something at the end. The views were excellent and there was no-one there except our little group. The guides spoke pretty good English and were helpful and knowledgeable. We could have done self-guided walks but I think using a guide added a lot to the experience, and it was all very easy to do through Paul. I would definitely recommend staying here to anyone.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms were equally good, from what I saw.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fionafreesia
Reviewed 5 November 2017

We stayed here for 3 nights after visiting Marrakesh with our 20 year old daughter and her friend in October. We all loved this Kasbah, it felt more like a private villa; no towels out before breakfast to reserve sun loungers here! Stunning scenery, gorgeous views, lovely local walks up the valley to visit Berber villages, excellent food, lovely room and en-suite, helpful management and very friendly staff. The pool is large with plenty of space around it. I will definitely go back there. It had a lovely authentic feel, even though a newish build. It would even be good for a long weekend, as only 45 mins from airport and you are in a different world! A special place...

Room Tip: All rooms are probably good, they will all have nice views and are close to the pol/restaurant.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank HelenMilne
Reviewed 17 September 2017

My time there was short just 2 days but changed my perspective of travel. Amenities were great. Food was lovely. Property is just beautiful. Service was first rate. The valley that the property is set in is gorgeous. The hike we took really allowed us to see the people of the Berber villages and how they live. It was one of the few times in my travels that I have had the opportunity to do that. Frankly it forced me out of my box. I had the opportunity to go to the local market the day before Eid and it was filled with like 300 sheep and goats ; when my guide prompted me to walk through this maze of livestock because today I was a traveler and not a tourist. That was a moment that will stay with me. The hike he took us on was challenging along an old caravan route and it was tough but I finished it. What a memory. Great guide. Best part of my trip to Morocco.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rosa S
KasbahAngour, Owner at Kasbah Angour Atlas Mountains Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Thank you for the fabulous review, you have very nicely summarised the ethos of Kasbah Angour. We were all very pleased to hear that you experienced the "real Morocco" and were charmed by our friendly local staff. Feed back like this makes everything we strive to do worthwhile. Hoping to see you back for longer next time, there is so much more still to discover.