“Brilliant hotel”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Gumuldur
oxford
“Brilliant hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

This hotel is excellent. I went with my husband and 4 single friends. It was my first Saga holiday, but my third time in Turkey. All British guests are with Saga, but there are lots of French and other nationalities holidaying there.
The hotel is spotlessly clean and all the staff are very friendly. Reception is very good and they will change money , which is handy as the hotel is a way from the village. There are however several gifts shops, a waterpark and a few restaurants nearby.
ROOMS are a goodsize and have a safe , TV (only BBC world), hairdryer and shampoo, but no shower gel supplied.
BEACH is part of the hotel and always plenty of sunbeds and parasols. We were warned about sea urchins, so jelly shoes are recommended.
POOLS There are 3, all very clean. One is used for water aerobics and water polo, one is a family pool, plus the main pool. Surprisingley, for a 5 * hotel, no pool towels are supplied. You can hire them, but we bought some from the hotel shop and brought them home.
EVENING ENTERTAINMENT My friend and I went on the first night but were not impressed. As there was a group of us we tended to just go for a drink after dinner, but one night my friend went to the show and said it was much better. I think the problem is they have to cater for lots of different nationalities. The animation team worked very hard all day and into the evening too. Well done!
TRIPS some half day trips were included in our holiday, a market, and surrounding villages, but the only trouble was that every trip included trying to sell you something on the way back - gold, pottery, even carpets! We went to Ephesus. It was brilliant. It is only about 20 miles away, so you get a good long time there. It was very hot, so take a hat and bottle of water. Also wear comfortable shoes with a good grip, as I wore old trainers which had got a bit shiney on the bottom and I slipped up on the steps of the library. Luckily I landed on something soft - my derriere! The trip was expensive - about £60 each and extra for a meal, but definitely worth seeing.
BOAT TRIP with saga was also expensive - £25 for half a day and it did not land so non-swimmers (like me) could not get off the boat. Also our boat's steering went wrong, so we had to wait for a fishing boat to come out and fetch us, which was a bit of excitement and a good talking point back at the hotel. However I think the trip was overpriced.
One of our party went with a French trip to Pamukale and it was much cheaper, but obviously it was all in French, but the guide did translate a bit for him and he enjoyed it!
My only gripe is the restaurant - the food seemed really good at first, but became really repetitive after 2 weeks. As another reviewer said, there was not much meat, which didn't worry me as I am not a great meat eater, but I do like fish and we only had it twice, unless you like fish in it's entirety -head, tail, bones, the lot -which I don't. Also not much chicken which most people like.
The fish restaurant was a bit of a disappointment - fish with heads on again - so be warned if you are squeamish like me, I left and went back to the main restaurant, much to the amusement of the rest of our party!
My main concern though is safety in the restaurant. Firstly the food is barely warm, which I think could be a health hazard, although I must admit that I did not hear of any illness. Secondly, they were cooking fritters in hot fat right where people were walking past and at the height of children and thirdly the tea and coffee was not brought to your tables as in most hotels, leading to people wandering about with cups of hot tea and coffee. The design of the dining room meant that there were food stations dotted about and so kitchen staff were darting about with dishes of food and people criss crossing each other with plates etc.
But, this aside, the hotel is really excellent and I would thoroughly recommend it

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank lindy-loo26
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Turkish first
oxon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2009

We have just come back from a week at the hotel Club Yali, we wished we had booked 2 weeks. Really good hotel, for children, teenages, familes, friends and older people. There is plenty of space for everyone and although a large hotel we did not notice crowds of people except at meal times. The hotel is fully inclusive and the food is the best we have ever experienced in a hotel ever. The choice for each meal was unlimited, hot meals were cooked outside in the eating area, although there was not much meat on offer and fish was only available three or four times in the week, the choice of meals was fantastic - and the puddings were exceptional. We could eat in the main restaurant or at the fish bar (once during your stay) plus at lunchtimes there where two other restaurants to choose from. There are sun beds for everyone, by the sea at the beach or around the three pools. The sea swimming is a little disappointing as the sea bed is rocky, perhaps not suitable for children swimming - but you can swim off the pier. We did not want to leave the hotel but we did the trip to Ephesus which is fascinating and steeped in history - it was very very hot this day take plenty of water and clothes to cover up. The temperature while we were at this resort reached 40 degrees, it was often 29 degrees at 9 am and 31-32 at 10.00 pm! The evening entertainment was also good, the animation team were exceptional, keen and very motivated, there were things to do all day if you wanted to take part. We were never disturbed by noise even tho the hotel was full, the youngsters were all having fun but were well behaved even tho the drinks were inclusive. I would go back again tomorrow and thoroughly recommend this hotel for a holiday to anyone

Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank lovfam
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2009

We asked for a quiet room, but although we had a room with neighbours only one side, there was a lot of lift noise from 5am, maybe from the service lift opposite our room, 1429. The walls were very thin.
The room was well furnished and the bed was comfortable. the bathroom was good and there was always plenty of hot water.
Both our room and the hotel were spotlessly clean.
The grounds were extensive, with lots of grass and sunbeds. However, if you wanted a towel for outside you had to buy one.
There was a heated indoor pool and three others, one with water slides.
There were two tennis courts, minigolf and basketball,boules area, table tennis , plus volleyball on the beach.There was an excellent childrens playground under a canvas shade and an outdoor gym, as well as a small indoor gym.
There was a team of young, enthusiastic animators who had a full program of activities and a kids club.
The main buffet restaurant had a good choice of food of good quality, though the breakfasts were poor unless you liked hard pastries! Wine and beer were available at lunch and dinner, and as it was an all-inclusive hotel, drinks were available at all the bars most of the day. There were also containers of water and soft drinks by all the bars and restaurants. Unfortunately most were very sweet and artificial tasting.
There were several snack bars in the grounds, with lots of seating.
The staff were very good, efficient and friendly.
The beach was well provided with sunbeds and umbrellas and there was a lifeguard.
The majority of the guests were French and the few British guests were with Saga. There were so many children that some older guests found it distubing.
The hotel was rather remote. It was possible to walk into the nearest town or to catch a dolmus, but the town was poor and scruffy, not worth the trip. We found a walk through the orange groves, which smelt delightful in April and one could also walk along the poorly maintained promenade in the other direction.
There was a big water park next to the hotel and there must be noie from it in the
season.
It was a wonderful hotel for children.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank elizalily
Luxembourg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2008

We went there in September (with my hubby). It was really nice, pool is amazingly clean, sea is fantastic, food is variable and tasty, the only disadvantage - the hotel is big and stuff doesn't really remember you, I mean in the resto waiters will not 'spoil' you... It's a perfect place to go and have fun with friends! And please don't miss a quad trip! It's just WOW!!! don't take it in the hotel (more expensive), there is a travel agency in 3 min. walk from the hotel!

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Mikate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gumuldur
0.2 km away
13.8 km away
Sunis Efes Royal Palace Resort & Spa
14.1 km away
Aria Claros Beach & Spa Resort

Been to Cactus Club Yali Hotels & Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK