“It was just OK”

Ranked #30 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Christchurch, New Zealand
“It was just OK”
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We stayed in a Junior Suite, which is in the newer, third wing of the resort. I didn't expect anything AMAZING, as we only paid about $250 each, for 7 nights.. really good deal!
Overall, everything was fine. We were given 2 complimentary bottles of water each day as tap water in Thailand is no good. So that was very much appreciated! Our rooms were cleaned daily, meaning fresh towels, toilet paper top-up and beds re-made, etc. The bed was pretty spacious, but a little uncomfortable/solid and as someone mentioned below, there is only a thin sheet to cover yourself with. That wasn't really a concern as it was so insanely hot and humid, that's all one needs! But if you have the air con cranking, which you definitely need, it gets cold in the middle of the night.
Bathroom, not bad, other than the fact that there wasn't a hand-towel in sight. What are people expected to wipe their hands on after washing their hands..?
The bathroom door didn't shut properly.. it really needed to be SLAMMED to close.
There was an open window in the bathroom and I don't think it could be closed.. this was a little annoying, considering it meant mosquitos could get in and you could hear the goings-on outside.
The rain shower was pretty good, other than the fact it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a while and was sort of spraying all over the place.
Noisy, party-going guests next door were making a racket, all hours of the morning. One day I woke up to them at 5am, which was pretty annoying! This really is a place for young people that want to party, in a central location, in the midst of all the shopping and restaurants. I did know this before booking, though.. but the price just couldn't be beaten!
Keep in mind, this end of the beach is quite "rocky" and doesn't look like a great place to swim. The bars and music were great, however.. awesome vibes and loud house music. Sweet! Prices were also very reasonable in the restaurant/bar, although we found the food more on the average side. Drinks were well made and just awesome!
We had a pretty good pool, just a stones-throw from our room. Really convenient.
I would recommend this place for young people who are on a budget and want to party 'til all hours of the morning and want to be in the main, tourist area of Koh Samui. You literally are surrounded by beach, restaurants, bars and market-style shops. You will love it. Especially if you're a Koh Samui first-timer. For me, next time it will have to be somewhere a little quiter!

Room Tip: Pay just a LITTLE BIT more and stay in a Junior Suite, in the newer wing of the resort. It'll be...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank whateverdamnit
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Organised for me and 5 mates a room each to stay in May so we can hit the full moon party and definitely was not happy with this place. After coming from an EXCELLENT hotel in Patong, this place was a nightmare. Firstly each of us had rooms ALL OVER the place so we were very far from each other despite the fact I booked all the rooms at the same time and asked for them to be close (They did not reply to my e-mail at all either). When we got there the guy who was supposed to show us where our rooms were took 2/5 of us to the wrong area. One of my mates had to walk up 3 levels of stairs carrying his heavy suitcase to find he had to go back down and enter the next block! One of my mates rooms was not cleaned for 2 days, even thought he put the sign outside for them to clean it. My room was clean and I was happy although in the 4 days they never changed the soap/shampoo's for me. The shower felt good but overflows very easily onto the bathroom. The aircon works very slowly but at least it works and ends up getting cold. There is no blankets provided, only a sheet to cover yourself. In the morning the next building was getting work done so there was PLENTY of noise to keep us awake from hammers and saw's, although this would not be Ark Bar's fault but gosh was it annoying when your trying to relax. They have 2 pool's which are awesome, one has a swim up bar which is awesome, and theres always a DJ playing good lounge house music. Good if your young and there to party, not if you want to relax it would probably annoy you. Restaurant had nice food, but there were problems. Eg. one of my friends ordered a meal and after the rest of us had already waited 25 mins and then eaten our food, they come and tell my friend he needs to pick another meal as they've sold out. This is 45 mins AFTER he ordered. Another friend ordered a desert a small sticky date pudding which took 40 mins to bring out. Breakfast was pretty good, if you pay for it with the room you get to select 5 things from the brekky menu. I left one of my towels in my friends room and told them this, however they still charged me 500BAHT saying I'd lost a towel! One of my friends room had a horrible stench and they had to change rooms after 1 day because the smell was unbearable. The Wi-Fi is doesnt work unless your on the ground floor closer to reception. We wanted a check out at 5pm so we paid for an extra night, and they tried to get us to put our stuff into 1 room at 10am that day, even though we paid for an extra night. Very sneaky and dodgy by the staff who agreed after I made them realise we were not stupid, that if we paid for an extra night, even though were not staying we're leaving at 5pm, not 10am! All in all the bar is nice, pool is nice.. But I wouldnt stay at this place again. The beach directly in front of the hotel is no good either, full of rocks. You have to take a 5 min walk down to the next beach to access a clean beach you can actually swim on, so even for the location it wasnt worth it.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lance G

Travellers are raving about these Chaweng hotels

Guiseley- Leeds
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We stayed here for 3 weeks and had an amazing time. The room was cleaned daily and the bedding and towels were exchanged. The facilities were good with 3 bars and pools. The cleanliness of the whole place is brilliant the place is spotless. The food is excellent and the menu is one of the biggest i have ever seen with food from loads of different countries. In fact we ate out alot but here was the best food we had eaten in the three weeks and reasonably priced. The staff were very friendly and service was fast. The beach parties are a must with great music and fire dancers. We had a great time and will definetly stay again. We have no complaints about our stay it was fantastic. Its also in a great location but to be honest this resort has all the action you need.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chatbox
Adelaide
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I stayed here in December 2010. One of the friends I was travelling with booked the rooms because of the price and the location. Looking at photos on the website, it looked like a nice place to stay.

I was disappointed when we got there. I thought we were staying in the newer part, but we were actually in the rooms off of the walkway to the beach. The room was clean, but the bathroom took some getting used to - every time you had a shower, the entire floor would get wet and there wasn't much room to put anything. The toilets also got blocked very frequently; there wasn't a day that went by that I didn't see the maintenance staff unblocking a toilet in someone's room.

This is definitely a place to stay if you don't need sleep and like to party. The music is very loud and seems to never end. I did love how the beach transformed at night though, it was very pretty and relaxing to sit on cushions at the little tables and have a few cocktails. But be prepared to be harassed by kids wanting to play connect four and guys who want to put their massive lizards on you!

There was an office there where you could book tours and use the internet and arrange airport transfers. They were very friendly and helpful. We were able to get a full day Mr Ung's jungle tour for half day price (definitely a tour you must do!) and they also arranged awesome front row VIP seats at a Muay Thai fight.

I would have preferred to spend a bit more money and stay somewhere else in Chaweng. Might not have been so bad if we were there for a short time but we were there for 8 or 9 nights and it just got a bit too much. Couldn't wait to move on to our 5 star resort in Phuket.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My partner and I visited Ark Bar beach resort in April and stayed 3 nights in a deluxe room and loved it! The room was clean and spacious with nice bathroom and flat screen tv. The bed was so comfy! There was also a huge balcony. We found the resort to be lively in the day with the pools and restaurant fairly busy, and although there was music at night you couldn't hear it from the room at all. The pools are gorgeous with plenty of sunbeds and in the sun all day. One day we were there they had a beach party and it was really busy but the next 2 days it was just normal so i think fine for any age group. It's right on the beach so perfect location, and the food in the restaurant is tasty and good value - we ate there 2-3 times and although its considered 'expensive' by Thai standards it was on par with everywhere else along Chaweng Beach. We loved Ark Bar and will be back!

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor so you don't get people walking past all the time.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank VS21
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
0.1 km away
1.7 km away
Mercure Samui Chaweng Tana Hotel
0.2 km away
Baan Chaweng Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Ark Bar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK