“Excellent location, best chillaut music in Samui.”

Ark Bar Beach Resort
Ranked #30 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Turku, Finland
“Excellent location, best chillaut music in Samui.”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Take yout ear plugs with you. All arrives and departures flights just over the hotel. There is also none of soundproofing in the rooms... Location is excellent, music is good and staff very helpful. Good range of ciders in the bar.

• Stayed March 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed at Ark bar in March. The hotel pick up was late to get us from the airport. Checked in around noon and the room was ready. I had previously asked for 1st floor and was happy I got it as everyone can see in your ground room floor. Our room was halfway between the road and beach, we could still hear the music on the party nights (Friday and Wednesday 2pm to 2am) but could sleep easily.
Had a few questions about the surroundings however reception didn’t really have a clue.
Breakfast was good. You arrived and could tick 5 items on a large list of foods you could want, they cooked it and brought it to your table. A choice of 3 pools, large restaurant which is very popular at night. Perfect location right near markets and plenty of beach.
Don’t stay here if you don’t want to party with lots of noise and topless girls sunbaking.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 33chloe33
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Location is fantastic for those who like the beach party scene. Accommodation itself is terrible! House keeping never came despite the signs we left up ALL day. Upon Checkout they charged my friend half of her deposit $15 aud for a towel which had makeup on it- and they had not tried to clean it at all. The 'manager' on the phone hung up on us, and the girl at reception ignored us for half an hour- we had a ferry to catch so she stalled us. They refused to give the money back- this is illegal! I was happy to have the towel dry cleaned for 100baht but she said "no we have already taken your money" do not bother with this place- plenty of nicer places along the beach.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Oc2389

Travellers are raving about these Chaweng hotels

Reviewed 7 March 2012

I went to this resort in a group of 6 girls- stayed in the mid range rooms 2 girls each room. Each morning we left a hanger on the door asking for house keeping to tidy the room- mainly sweep because of the sand. Hanger was still there by evening. Had to constantly ask concierge to send someone. Upon checkout we went to claim our deposit and they came back with a towel with some makeup on it. They insisted we had to pay &15us and took this out of our deposit refusing to return it. The girl at reception put us through to a manager who hung up on us on the phone. They did not wash the towel- my friend started to remove the stain by hand washing- not good enough.had a ferry to catch but they ignored us for 40 mins and refused to give our money back. Will never return. Only upside was the beach location but there are plenty other places worthwhile on the beach. They had no right to keep the money- and will not return. Don't bother.

• Stayed March 2012
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Before our stay at Ark Bar, my partner and I read many reviews and acknowledged it was a hotel suited to younger people i.e. house music till late etc. As we are both 25 and love house music, this was generally not a problem. For those who do not like electronic music (loud) or cannot sleep comfortably over loud noise, I would advise avoiding.

I must say, the resident DJ for their Wednesday and Friday night parties is remarkably good and I would advise going down for a listen even if you don't stay at Ark Bar.

The food at the Ark Bar restaurant was fairly decent. Not the best example of Thai cuisine, but not the worst either. Funny enough, they had some fairly decent western meals thrown in the menu.

HOWEVER, we encountered a bitter end to our stay. Toward the end of our stay and approximately 1-2 days after our departure, bites (similar to mosquito bites) begun to appear all over my partners body including her arms, chest, back and legs. Having presumed they were simply mosquito bites, I advised my partner to ignore them. How wrong I was. The bite marks are still present as I am typing this review (4-5 days after), and further research on the net has brought me to believe that these are actually bed bug bites. For instance, there are areas where there will appear three (3) bites in a perfect line. This is a common sign of bed bug bites and is referred to as "breakfast, lunch and dinner". Not to mention the multiple bites on other areas of her arms, all up her legs and some on her chest.

I am absolutely confident these are bed bug bites.

As you could imagine, these bites have caused extreme itchiness and overall discomfort for my partner. It also put us off ever booking with Ark Bar again. While I agree the room keepers do a great job at making the room APPEAR clean, this is in fact not the case and everyone should be aware that they are at risk of this.

Perhaps you may be as lucky as I was, as I was generally sparred by the bugs. However, I personally would not take the risk again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nathan S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
0.1 km away
1.7 km away
Mercure Samui Chaweng Tana Hotel
0.2 km away
Baan Chaweng Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Ark Bar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK