“A great base for ski-ing”
Review of Hotel Grohmann

Hotel Grohmann
Reviewed 30 April 2017

The Hotel Grohmann was the base for our first family ski-ing holiday.

Our party consisted of one seasoned skier and two novices. The Grohmann fits the alpine mode of having functional rooms with minimal additional features. Our room was tight for three, but as other reviewers have indicated it is perfectly fine as a base for ski-ing.

It was a little unfortunate that the Crystal appointed ski-school for our two beginners was a bus trip up the valley; no great problem, but something to bear in mind. Campitello is perhaps a better base for parties that intermediate plus

I enjoyed the food. There was a good choice at each meal and the pre-ordering worked well. All of the dishes that I had were well prepared, well presented and very tasty, It was great to have the opportunity to sample local dishes.

My vegetarian wife found the week hard going. In my experience vegetarianism is rarely understood up in the mountains, particularly so when the vegetarianism extends to an absence of fish as well.

The evening meal was too late for our six year, who quite literally fell asleep in his pudding or was a grumpy toad. We were very grateful for the restaurant staff's good humour and patience with our little man - they were as accommodating as they could be and he was made to feel very welcome. My view is that the set-up would suit families with older children than ours, I suggest 11 plus.

The hotel itself is well located for local amenities, it was a mere ten minute walk to our ski-hire shop.

My only quibbles with the hotel was the slightly off welcome and weak WiFi. We had booked late with Crystal and our arrival time seemed to be something of a surprise and far from welcomed; the last thing you need after 12 hours travelling. The WiFi was irritatingly slow, I achieved better access using my mobile phone. Those quibbles apart, the service was excellent.

I would certainly stay at the Grohmann again, but I might struggle to convince the rest of my family to join me.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 12 March 2017

All previous observations about this hotel, both positive and negative, on this site, are valid but really it's a ski hotel doing deals and it's fine for that purpose if you manage your stay!
Due to a misunderstanding we were moved into a room in the front from our actual booked back room when we arrived, Having read the reviews here I had checked my room on arrival. I said. I do not want to be at the front. But got put in the front!
Noisy does not describe it! AVOID THE FRONT!!
So the next morning I was in reception and we got moved to a VERY QUIET VERY DARK comfortable room at the back which was WONDERFUL. THANK YOU Elena on reception for sorting that!
The room was very clean and the maid was very efficient. She made the bed and sorted the room every day when we were at breakfast which always felt as if the Brownies had been in and magically sorted everything out.
Some of our group were in rooms at the front with balconies and they seemed quite satisfied with them so I may just be very sensitive to noise.

The waiters in the restaurant were so obliging. I missed the name of the blonde lady with the pony tail but she was attentive and caring and took great care of us. Trying to get our large group of independent people to adhere to the rules was impossible. I tried to explain to her the concept of the impossibility of herding cats and said that the likelihood of the group complying was less likely than herding cats, but I don't think she understood. She got very worried about the fact that there was no way we were going to play by the rules! VERY WEIRD dining rule was that you had to select the starter and main meal for the following night as you came down to eat. Well that was never going to happen so the system was undemined on a nightly basis! No one could remember. We changed positions and tables. Sometimes some people wanted to eat out. Etc Etc. Poor waitress. She got really anxious that the meals were wrong but for us it just added to the hilarity!
The meals were copious and arrived plated and so a lot of food was left. You can help yourself to salad and dessert. You do not have to order a starter and main course. They are obvioulsy trying to cut down waste but a lot of food was going uneaten.

Serve yourself breakfast was fine and the choice was like many other hotels I have stayed in.

The boot room was OK. I do not know why there are complaints about it. It was a normal boot room and very handy for the bus which stopped right outside when you came back. Very handy!! And also for catching the bus in the morning.

On the last day we were allowed to help ourselves to hot drinks from the restaurant and were given a packed breakfast/lunch by the obliging night porter. A great improvement on our experience in Spain last year on the last day of our ski holiday when coffee was promised but never delivered.

I investigated the spa room but did not use it. Others were happy with it. I would have liked the jacuzzi to have been a little more tucked away and less in a corner of a big room!

We used the bar. Valentina was a laugh. If they knew you were going to need serving they manned the bar all the time you were there.

On the last evening we went down the road to the sister hotel to a Brazilian evening. It was a version of the Tropicana in Havana on a very small scale!! Worth it for the experience. Once! We just paid 9 euros for the short taxi ride otherwise it was all
inclusive.

Great that the airport bus delivers and collects you direct from the hotel so you wait inside in the warm.

Room Tip: The back on floors 2 or 3.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 April 2016

Excellent location - walk in skiboots to the cable car. Very helpful service - both Suzanna at the Reception:) but also the waiting staff. We were difficult guests because of strict diets but they were very very helpful to make us happy. Internet is a bit of an issueas you have to buy either 2 hr slot or 10 hr slot and the connection is patchy. With time you get to understand that it is the location that makes it so difficult.

Room Tip: not on the main street side, also room 216 is much smaller that the others
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2016

Two of us stayed at the Grohmann for 4 nights in February. It was pleasant enough without being spectacular. The location was a good compromise, being on the main road, 2-3 minutes walk into town, and 5-6 minutes walk to the cable car. There was plenty of parking to the front and rear of the hotel. We didn't use the ski room, as it seemed a bit awkwardly sited, through and outside the indoor garage. Instead we kept skis and boots in the rental shop under the cable car. Although a bit dull, the rooms were clean, quiet and reasonably spacious, and the bed was comfortable. There was a large lounge downstairs which was well utilized as a family mixing area. The breakfast was fairly standard, and we ate out for dinner. The front desk was very helpful with any queries we had.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2016

The staff was very friendly to me (Suzanna at reception is an angel) !
The hotel has a great location, as we were able to reach the Gondola within a two minute walk, and Campitello is a cute village. Well priced and recommended.

Room Tip: All of the rooms were quiet
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple