All reviews city centre fruit bread spa temperature motorway person street beds restaurant euros parking
Reviewed 27 August 2017

I've been there in the last July.
The hotel is located less than a kilometer from the A-2 motorway, very close to the city centre.
The room was clean and very comfortable.
The receptionist cordial and professional.
I paid 6 Euro for the parking place (each day) but it was essential if you want a good level of security for your car, and due to the high temperature outside.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank crocobeach
Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

Using my gps I found the correct street, but there was no hotel. There where a couple of old business which had gone under. Parking was not easy, and once parked I roamed the neighborhood looking for the hotel. And then I saw a hotel labeled A2O Hotel. And I said to myself, they will know where my tiny hotel is. So in I marched to inquired where my hotel was. The gal at the desk, in perfect English said "You are there!" A taken back I asked why it was not labeled as such and did not receive a coherent answer. Once I was there it did not seem to by such an important issue so I let it drop.

As for the hotel it has many floors and surrounds a small building with a Michelin rate restaurant on the first floor. And 7 rooms upstairs. I was in number three, it was lovely, spacious with a well appointed bathroom and windows which open onto a court yard with many small children creating a racket. Once they are gone, about sunset, it was quite.

I had a bite to eat in the cafeteria for dinner, a salad which was good. In the morning the breakfast was our typical Spanish hotel breakfast. Fruit, a bit of protein and bread and pastries with the usual coffee with milk.

For parking, you can park on the street or in the hotel's garage. I was uncomfortable on the street, unusual for me, and so I opted for the garage at 5 or 6 euros a night.

My only complaint was that it was poorly labeled then though it was in plain sight.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 October 2016

Castillo de Ayud is a good modern hotel in the new part of the historic city of Calatayud, which is beside the A2 motorway, between Madrid and Zaragoza. Ideal stop-off point for splitting journey to the south of Spain.
Comfortable clean rooms, with modern bathrooms and comfortable beds.
The hotel also has a gym and secure underground parking.
The large restaurant, on the ground floor, serves a ''carte'' menu and a fixed menu of three courses which includes a bottle of wine and coffee. We were very happy with the fixed menu at a price of 11euros Quite good breakfasts.
Very helpful staff staff in reception and the restaurant.
Value for money in accommodation and in restaurant service are remarkable. Calatayud is a very pleasant town with places and history of interest.

Room Tip: I prefer rooms facing North.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2016

Castillo de Ayud is a good contemporary hotel in the new part of the historic city of Calatayud, which is beside the A2 motorway, between Madrid and Zaragoza.
The hotel was built a few years ago, so everything is sleek and modern. Comfortable rooms, although not enormous. Impeccable clean and regular-sized bathrooms, with a flat flush shower -quite convenient for older people-. Amazing beds, the strongpoint in the room. Very comfortable with lots of different pillows.
The hotel also boasts a health centre. You have to reserve in advance, as the spa area is not very big, but the facilities are quite complete. Great massage service.
A strong point is the restaurant, in a big sleek room at the ground floor. There is not a very extense carte, but a fixed menu with some options, being the quality very good. Better by far than what you could expect in a hotel. The type food is rather contemporary, and portions are big. All this by a very reasonable price. The only downside is that this restaurant is linked to the cafetería. Although there is a metal curtain to divide both saloons, I would have prefered something quieter to enjoy my dinner. Quite good breakfasts.
Extremely kind staff in both reception, restaurant and health center.
This establishment has an incredible price quality ratio in accommodation and in restaurant service too, as they often offer very good deals. Calatayud has a nice old centre and interesting surrondings to explore, and beside that, is a good option if you´re driving long distances and need a stop over.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 September 2016 via mobile

We spent a very uncomfortable night in this hotel. Upon taking a shower, we found a strange stain on one of our towels. We called reception to ask for another and were told that maybe they wouldn't be able to bring a clean towel up due to the hour. Unacceptable. Furthermore, when someone finally brought us a clean towel, they tried to argue with us about the stain to which we politely said we didn't want to use the towel. The room was dusty, and also we slept very poorly due to lack of sound proofing. There was a party about a kilometre away and we could hear absolutely everything in the room. We called reception thinking it was a party in the hotel itself and as it turns out it was NOT.
This hotel is NOT worth your money. Also, Calatayud was not worth visiting. Customer service is nonexistent. We had negative experiences almost everywhere we went and we are frequent travellers and can say we have NOT had such a bad experience ever.
Unacceptable.