“Extremely pleasant meal on first night ”
Review of Abraxas

Abraxas
Price range: US$ 11 - US$ 21
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: With refined dishes, familiarly atmosphere and friendly service, we like to present you a FESTIVAL OF SENSES in our Restaurant ABRAXAS
Reviewed 7 March 2017 via mobile

Found this place on our exploring during to day and decided to return . The hosts were extremely friendly and singer / guitarist playing and singing old songs we all know . Atmosphere very relaxed . We had to sit inside as the outside was full but interior was plan and simple but had atmosphere interesting symbols on the bar and watching the kitchen staff working was good . Had a very nice meal, bread was interesting herby with spicy dips . I had spicy prawns with delicious veg and wild rice . My partner had tuna steak with a mojo and pepper sauce and wasabi with salted potatoes and salad he had home made schnapps I had fried banana with home made ice cream hosts couldn't.t do enough for us we will be returning again before the end for our holiday

Date of visit: March 2017
1  Thank 531judye

Reviewed 12 February 2017

Valle Gran Rey is La Gomera's equivalent of ST Ives in Cornwall, UK -- or a small resort town on the Cote d'Azur. It ticks all the alternative boxes -- tranquiil, relaxed, as far as possible from high stress city life...,boho ambiance alongside family friendly. But do not expect gastronomic miracles. Abraxas is one restaurant that cooks to sophisticated international standards with an eclectic menu and very efficient service.It is run by Germans and has been going for 11 years. The people in the kitchen know how to cook -- which cannot be said for some of the more pretentious eateries along the Gran Rey strip. The Abraxas downside is the decor. it is more like dining in an office canteen than a moderately prices restaurant.

Date of visit: February 2017
1  Thank Pemachotse
Reviewed 1 February 2017

14 years ago I celebrated with my family the end of a wonderful 3 weeks holiday on La Gomera in this restaurant with a delicious Paella and this visit I wanted to start where I left of so I went back and found the fish restaurant transformed into Abraxas.
First I was disappointed but my wife wanted to stay and I was hungry so ....
As I do not eat meat anymore I took the traditional tuna-steak-with-moja and my wife fried Zucchini. The tuna was nothing special but my wife loved her dish so we had a good start on our holiday :-) Two days later we choose to go back because we did not find a real traditional Spanish fish restaurant and Abraxas has fish on the menu. This time I took Fish-curry Atlantico and my wife fried-goat-cheese, both highly according to the menu. I did not understand at first why the food was a mess according to Spanish standard but as the evening passed and I saw the other guests I suddenly got it !! The kitchen and this restaurant is not Spanish. The other guests were all German and of course this influences the cooking .... So unless you are German do not go there because you will be disappointed by the way the food is prepared, the way you are served, and the atmosphere. To bad for such a nice place .... Viva La Gomera ! I want my Spanish fish-restaurant back !

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

during our stay in Valle gran rey we ate at Abraxas 2 times. Even all tables had Reservation they found space to fit us in.
the food (main course and dessert or starters) were great. it is run by Germans and they cater "new canarian kitchen" and the dishes they offer were lovely. there are plenty options for vegetarians.

Date of visit: December 2016
1  Thank Nina F
Reviewed 13 December 2016 via mobile

Firstly, the staff are very nice and friendly. But it should be noted that the restaurant is German owned and operated if that makes a difference to you.

Also, the restaurant specializes in "New Canarian" cuisine so if you want something traditional maybe not the place for you.

The food was not what we expected. We tried two appetizers, one of which was "highly recommended" but came with canned mangos. This essentially ruined the dish.

The main course was the fish of the day which was very nice. The bottom line is that this restaurant caters to a certain taste which was not at all anything close to ours.

Date of visit: December 2016