Taychreggan Hotel(Kilchrenan)
US$ 139
US$ 125
  • Restaurant
1,878 results
All reviewsloch awesingle track roadstunning viewslog cabinthree nightspassing placesnight stayloch view roomremote locationoff the beaten trackresidents loungeshort breakrelaxing breakopen firefull scottishhaggislochside apartment
Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

Like many others we had bought a voucher, 17 months previously, at s holiday show in London. I needed an excuse to get my husband to take a holiday in Scotland and not only did this appear to be excellent value, importantly for us we could take our dog as well.
Several months later I read the mixed reviews. I took the view there would be a ‘little rough with the smooth’; and given the plus points appeared to outweigh the suggested negatives I set my expectations accordingly. As recommended by other travellers I upgraded to a Loch side apartment.
Some have complained about the three and a half mile trip down the single track road- why??? The road runs parallel to the lock so it’s a scenic journey in; with some pretty properties and Highland cattle in the way and even a sighting if a red squirrel! We had a warm welcome at reception and an explanation of the water supply. Yes- if you are a townie you may find the colour of the water a tad of putting but bottled water is provided free of charge for drinking.
It was evident our apartment had been redecorated, although the kitchenette did look somewhat outdated it was functional and I cooked two meals during our short stay. Attention to detail would have made a difference eg clearing the terrace of some brambles, and painting the woodwork at the front door and on the terrace. What the property lacked in ‘kerb appeal’ it handsomely made up for with the view across the loch; one word: Stunning!! We watched the swallows dive across the water and through the air and the peace and quiet was wonderful.
At the hotel there is an outside terrace perfect for drinks at the end of the day and in the restaurant the food was excellent! We ate a fabulous breakfast every morning and a super meal on our last night. The staff were friendly and hardworking.
Hope to be back!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joods67
Portsonachan H, Director of Sales at Portsonachan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2018

Dear Joods67,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Portsonachan.

I am very please that you enjoyed your stay and the view! Thank you so much for the photos.

I have passed your lovely comments to the staff and hope to welcome you back to Portsonachan in the future.

Reviewed 8 June 2018

My friend and I Peter returned this year to do some fishing on the loch. The hotel was great last year but had recently been improved with new rooms so was even better!

The food was out of this world and I would recommend to anyone. The chef Steven is a consummate professional and we had the best tasty food served promptly.

The host David is possibly the most accommodating, generous and amiable chap I have had the opportunity to meet.

Fond memories indeed!

We will be back!

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends

Look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future

Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

We have just arrived back from this hotel, we stayed in a lodge for 3 nights! The lodge was clean inside, spacious great self catering facilities and had all you need to be comfortable, but was in serious need of maintenance and a scrub outside!

The shower never worked, I have since learnt this seems to be a regular if not perminant issue! No one seemed to care about this, the decking looked warped and dirty and not cared for! The midgies were vile and somewhat affected our holiday in a negative way! I didn’t mind the yellow water and no WiFi but no shower for three days, not great!

We dined the first night the food was lovely but expensive but I don’t mind that so much! The staff were pleasant but not overly friendly apart from
Sebie and lovely English girl and the lady married to the chef, they did go out of their way but everyone else looked miserable! Certainly did not experience Scottish charm we seem to get everywhere else in Scotland! Breakfast were not great, everything deep fried, my sons fruit looked days old!

Would I stay again, probably not, would I spend three nights in a lodge in Scotland? Absolutely! This place could be a goldmine with some scrubing, tlc, investment and training! Hey we took a show deal but still that doesn’t mean you should accept some
Issues!

P.s Fab for dogs!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
5  Thank Michelle C
judithCambridge, Director of Sales at Portsonachan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2018

Dear Michelle,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at Portsonachan.

I am sorry that your stay did not live up to your expectations, please rest assured that your complaint regarding the shower in your lodge was passed to our maintenance department and has now been replaced, please accept my apologies that this was not done during our stay.

We value our guest comments and consider all feedback as an opportunity to continuously improve or standards and service levels.

Once again thank you for posting your review.

Reviewed 7 June 2018

We bought the deal of 4 nights, 3 days bed & breakfast from Sandringham Craft Fair last year. We didn’t know what to expect and having read the previous reviews our expectations were muted. However, when we finally got there along the bumpy road, that wasn’t an exaggeration, we were greeted by lovely staff and made to feel very welcome. We had a wonderful loch view room and the bathroom had just been upgraded with a very large shower cubicle. The staff were brilliant, the food fantastic and the views were out of this world. We were extremely lucky with the weather as it was fine all four days. It was also a dog friendly hotel,so I got my doggy fix every day, having lost our dog a couple of years ago. We went with friends and it was marvellous. After dinner we decamped to the lounge which had four areas with comfy sofas and chairs. There were even jigsaw puzzles if you wanted to while away the time before bed. We will certainly go back there. Don’t be afraid of the deal. It is genuine and well worth it. Thank you Portsonachan Hotel staff, you are all stars x

Room Tip: Loch view rooms are wel worth the extra pennies.
Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank MaggieG8

Good Morning Maggie
Thank you for your lovely review, I am so please you enjoyed your stay and the view.
I do hop you will re visit

Reviewed 3 June 2018

Have lived in a cottage half a mile away for 4 years and for some reason never visited the Portsonachan Hotel, so dropped in for a few drinks the other day with the family and what a pleasant surprise, the setting is of course stunning and the service was great, the staff are very courteous and polite however Zoe made our day, a total bundle of laughs and banter, she was hilarious and made us feel so welcome & special. Thank you so much for a lovely evening, and as "big Arnie" would say..... I'll Be Back!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a view of the Loch
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family

Dear Robbie

Thank you for your lovely review, so pleased to hear you enjoyed your meal.
Hope to see you back soon