“Highlight of our trip! MUST DO”

Paradise Scuba and Snorkeling Center
Ranked #2 of 11 things to do in La Parguera
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Scuba Diving and Snorkeling Center in Puerto Rico. Explore the Bioluminescent Bay in La Parguera or book scuba diving trips to the Wall.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We cam to Puerto Rico for spring break knowing that everything might not be up and running, and having read that the rainforest and bio-bays had been affected by Hurricaine Maria. We decided to do the Paradise Scuba and Snorkeling bioluminescent tour because we wanted to be able to swim in the bio bay and we had read good reviews. We were NOT disappointed! This excursion was one of the best experiences of my life, and definitely that of my kids. My husband and I have a 13 year old, 11 year old and 8 year old.
The staff is extremely accommodating and friendly. You are provided with a light dinner of some of the best home made emanadas we've had (we all agreed the emanadas alone were worth the price of admission!) and drinks on the boat but before taking off.
Once arriving at the bay (a short 15-20 minute ride), your guide gives a brief explanation of the bay....how it came about, what to expect, a little of the science behind it.
Then snorkels are handed out and flotation vests for kids (I recommend the vests for kids 10 and under). And you can jump in.
When we first jumped in, the kids and I thought "oh....ok, it's kind of cool, but not what I expected." Then the sky continues to darken as the very last of twilight disappears and the magic begins. As you swim and move around, you are surrounded by "fairy dust" (as our guide called it).....it's amazing. The water glows and twinkles with each movement. Any trepidation we had about swimming in the dark disappeared.
We swam for about 45 minutes, and then headed back to shore. My kids couldn't stop talking about it. This was a once in a lifetime experience and I'm so glad we chose Paradise Scuba and Snorkeling Center. When we come back to Puerto Rico next time (and we will!) we will definitely take another one of the many tours/adventures they offer. They are top notch.

All reviews
"once in a lifetime"
in 21 reviews

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

My wife and I drove down from San Juan to see the other side of the island. Capt. KIKO meet us at his shop and explained the different options. We did an afternoon snorkeling trip led by Jonathan. He was very awesome and showed us alot of cool sea creatures. Snorkeling was about 1.5 hrs which was plenty of time. That evening we met at the store for the Biolumeniscent tour. They fed us Epinanids that were fresh and hot. We took a 20 min boat ride to the bay where we swam in the bay. This is probably the most incredible thing I have been a part of. Swimming was definitely the way to go. It was awesome. Thank you guys for the friendly service and a trip of a life time.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

The boat takes you to Parguera Bay to snorkel when the sun goes down (takes about 20 mins. - so leaves when the sun is going down). There was no talk or prep before arriving ( did not explain where & what we were going to doing / seeing). Some of this was done when we arrived. Then they handed out the snorkel equipment. We were unlucky in that the moon was out full force. (Note: the darker it is, the better you can see the microorganisms that light-up when your in the water & they sense heat). They do provide a chicken tamale (3 of our 6 people got 1) & all the beer, water & sodas you can drink while on board.

paradisescubapr, Owner at Paradise Scuba and Snorkeling Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Dear Alan,

Thanks for visiting us and for taking time to write a review about us! I am sorry about the lack of information when you arrived to our vessel. We do a briefing about the tour with the reservation and at the store we also do a short brief. Once you get on board, our crew serves food and drinks and they are always ready to answer any question. At the Bio Bay the Captain will have a briefing about the Bay and the reason it glows and also safety procedures. After you finish swimming the crew do a head count and navigates to our dock. At the dock the Captain always do a de briefing and we finish the trip. That is in all our tours

Reviewed 29 March 2018

A must-do! Perfect for amateur snorkelers. The water is so clear! But the staff really make this experience a one of a kind. They’re super friendly and they make sure you have a great time! They feed you and give you beers after the tour. Best snorkeling experience I’ve ever had. Don’t hesitate to book if you’re in the area!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

My wife, 6 year old son, and 2 year old daughter all went on the sunset snorkel and biobay tour. I was reluctant to take my daughter, but my wife, son, and I all wanted to go and after a phone call Jonathan covinced me it would work out. When we arrived it started pouring rain, but it passed and the clouds made for a fantastic sunset. The guided snorkel tour was great, when my kids got tired one of the guides took my wife and kids back to the boat. We were surprised by the variety of reef flora and fauna, and even got to swim with a sea turtle. After snorkling we had some excellent chicken empanadas which my kids, who are picky, loved. The biobay was great, my son loved it, and we all got a chance to experience this natural wonder. I highly recommend this tour if your in the area.