“Unfair review from your senior reviewer - July 2012” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Frondderw Country House
Ranked #7 of 27 Bala B&B and Inns
Durham, United Kingdom
“Unfair review from your senior reviewer - July 2012”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

I would like to know where he stays in this century for £78 for 2 that includes a choice of home made bread and fish (or did he even mean kedgeree) for breakfast. I assume that he was also complaining about it being light enough to be woken from his slumbers at 5 a.m. and would appreciate an elaboration as to how this was the fault of the establishment if his ultra light-sensitive eyes were beyond the help of normal curtaining? Perhaps if triadvisor increases his budget by at least 50%, his expectations of the finer touches will be met and a fairer assessment made.

Personally, all my priorities for the money i was paying were more than met - front of house Veronica was friendly and helpful, the breakfast was fab - way above what we have eaten in many more expensive b & b/hotels, and the overall standard was high. Ok, the standard double room was lacking space if you wanted to 'swing a cat', but those who do only have to pay an extra £20 for the spacious luxury touch. Get real Chantifrog!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anne S S
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Twickenham, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

It was not a great start. We were allocated the back room on the ground floor. It was very small for a double room and smelling of damp so we were disappointed. Our friend got the equivalent room on the first floor that didn't have the smell problem but was even slightly smaller. The unpleasant smell didn't help the sleep but the worse was that at st night however Veronica fixed that for the second night. It must have been due to the heavy rain and lack of ventilation as the whole house was damp proofed. Anyway whatever was done worked and the smell went so the second night was more comfortable, still we woke up at 5am and fortunately my wife was given a eye mask and I put a bandana on mine.
The whole house is pleasant and apart from the rooms include 3 nice community rooms with character, including one with an impressive fireplace. -Tons of CDs and books are available. There’s also a nice front garden with various seats and a very nice view on the bala valley and lake.
Bala lake by the way, although large and beautiful is disappointing in that you can’t walk around it and the road around it has such a massive edge that it masks the view most of the time, even if you use the small railway on the side. The best way to enjoy the lake therefore is by doing some of the walks starting from LLangower or Penybont. These walks are documented in a book available in the B&B.
Bala town is disappointing too, not really pleasant with no good restaurant, for that you have to go outside town (ask Veronica).

Breakfast was fine, with home made jam and a good range of fresh fruits however fresh bread, pastries and a fish option would have been welcome.

In summary it is a good B&B but on the expensive side if you want a decent room. Not sure I’ll go back as the area is not brilliant, I’d rather go to Llangolen and its gorgeous valley we passed.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the house are fairly small for double rooms, I would recommend booking the...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank chantifrog
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

I have never stayed there, but you have to read the email I received when I cancelled my booking at Frondderw Country House Bed & Breakfast. I had initially booked five rooms for a group,and I inquired whether the others could confirm on their own credit cards, and I was told no, so I cancelled four of the rooms and I asked my friends and family to rebook their rooms on their own. When my cousin called to book, he was told they would not allow children, so because his two teenage children and one preteen would be with us, he had to cancel his rooms and we agreed to stay somewhere that would accommodate all of us. When I cancelled my room, I received the email below from the B&B owners. I have booked online and stayed in accommodations all over the world. I have never received an email like this ever before. I was so surprised and shocked by it, I had to share it. Who are these people and how can they even survive in the hospitality industry?
"Thank you for finally making up your mind what your plans are.however,you should have apologised in the cancellation notice for your selfish,and rude behaviour:you,and your family have now cancelled.or amended five separate bookings.It is a relief,that we dont have to welcome you to our hotel.Paul"

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank DianeB2
Kythira, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

A lovely traditional country house with fantastic views over Bala. Our room was comfortable and spotless, as was the rest of the house. Veronica and Paul were extremely pleasant, helpful and informative. Unfortunately, we only stayed for one night, but would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pauline K
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

My fiancée and I stayed here August Bank holiday so we could go white water rafting near by. What a find! Such a wonderful location with beautiful views of the terrain, quiet and peaceful location within walking distance of the town, great breakfast with local produce, comfortable beds and such lovely owners. Oh, and they have the most amazing library with a fantastic book collection. Perfect for me as I am such a book worm.

I can not recommend this place highly enough. The owner was such a lovely lady. She even lent us torches so we could walk into town when it was dark as we came under prepared being typical city folk. She also lent me a lovely warm fleece as I had not packed sufficiently for the weather.

If you are looking for a place to stay, this is it! We will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the front of the house as they have the views.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fiona R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bala
0.5 km away
1.8 km away
Glan Y Gro
Glan Y Gro
#1 of 27 in Bala

Been to Frondderw Country House? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK