“Lobster Tortilla Is Memorable”

Jacala Beach Restaurant
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Relatively new; gorgeous small beach front restaurant; great food and wine. Chef was previously at mallihouna.
Reviewed 1 July 2016

My spouse and I visited Jacala for lunch on a weekday in late April 2016. Jacala is open for lunch and dinner on Wednesdays through Sundays (the restaurant closes on Mondays and Tuesdays). Parking is available in their dedicated parking lot. Jacala offers its restaurant patrons complimentary use of their beach set-ups before and/or after they dine.

Jacala, owned by a man named Jacques, enjoys a prime beachfront location on Meads Bay, and it offers great views of the sand and ocean. The small open-air dining room, which holds about 36 people at well-spaced tables, features overhead fans to cool the space. This restaurant was conceived by two former employees from nearby Malliouhana (whose restaurant at the time was called “Michel Rostang”, now just called “The Restaurant”). Jacala is well-respected: Martha Stewart once called it her “new favorite Caribbean restaurant”, and in 2014, its chef Alain was named one of the top 25 chefs in the Caribbean.

Jacala serves French and Caribbean cuisine. We did not order a starter on the day that we dined; however, the restaurant delivers a complimentary breadbasket, along with three spices for dipping. As main courses, we ordered the lobster tortilla and the salad nicoise. The lobster tortilla (served with a small salad) was intriguing and unusual, arriving as sort of a cake/large muffin that was accented by an amazing coconut sauce. (When we saw the word “tortilla” on them menu, we envisioned some sort of wrap, so we were pleasantly surprised when the dish arrived, and even happier when we tasted it. As it turns out, a “tortilla” is a traditionally Spanish dish similar to an omelet that contains egg, potato, onion, and protein. How delicious!) For the salad, our waiter inquired as to whether we would like fresh or canned (tinned) tuna on top, and of course, we said “fresh”! (We are still perplexed that they asked about the tuna – who would not want slices of seared rare tuna instead of something pre-packaged and mass-produced?) For dessert, the host presents the menu on a chalkboard. With so many delicious options, it was difficult to make a choice, but we decided on the rum baba, which was a little vanilla cake filled with banana sorbet, topped with whipped cream (which did not seem home-made), and set atop a rum sauce. When we finished our meal, the host brought offered samples of house-made rum as a digestif, which was a lovely way to end a great meal!

Date of visit: April 2016
1  Thank fluffnfold

Reviewed 30 June 2016 via mobile

Jacala was the last restaurant we visited, on a seven night visit to Anguilla. In many ways, it turned out we saved the best for last. The faculty is gorgeous - all fresh white plaster, open air seating and situated on the edge of a lovely beach. The owner greeted us, and stayed busy crafting table-side creations for appreciative guests. While we didn't order it, his preparation of Steak Tartare looked amazing.

My wife and I settled on a light dinner - she had a pasta made with fresh island tomatoes, and I had the snapper special, which was delightful. Both were preceded by a complimentary amuse-bouche of chilled asparagus soup, which was refreshing and wonderful. We shared a nice bottle of wine chosen from an excellent (by Anguilla standards) wine list.

After a dessert of chocolate mousse, the owner stooped by our table to offer us a complimentary after dinner drink concoction, making us very grateful to have our driver, Nell, waiting in the parking lot.

The meal was just right, and prices reasonable (again, by Anguilla standards). I highly recommend Jacala.

1  Thank WilliamDMoore
Reviewed 30 June 2016 via mobile

This was one, if not my favorite restaurants on our trip to Anguilla. We are a family of four with 2 adventurous, hungry teens. We were seated right away at a table near the water. The lights were dim, candles going, and the setting was so spot on. The service was never rushed, or overwhelming. We loved every course. My husband loved the tartare, but the shining star for me was the cucumber soup with tomato sorbet! It's been a week since we were on the island, and I can't wait to recreate the disk at home. Jacques is a lovely host. He stays busy ensuring every guests feels special. My only issue with Jacala's is price related. It's insanely expensive....but when in Anguilla...

1  Thank TravellerLH13
Reviewed 29 June 2016

One of the two owners, Jacque, was very personable and made a concerted effort to get around and speak with each patron - this was very nice. The ambiance was beautiful looking out at lighted palm trees. The dinners were spectacular. I only wish we had gone sooner to return for another evening.

1  Thank robertthereseb
Reviewed 28 June 2016 via mobile

All the food was great once again. Steak tartare and conch seveche was my choice. My wife got the low lobster soup and red snapper. We also returned within 2 others couples a few days later and they loved it too. I have been to this restaurant at least 6 times over a few years. On my list again for next year.
Thanks again.