All reviews evening meal pleasant hotel would stay again two nights plenty of parking berkeley castle bar area buffet style four poster self service jacuzzi bath western hotels short break double room road noise the ground floor pleasant stay
Reviewed 17 September 2018

Stayed for 2 nights for a weekend exploring the Cotswolds. The room was comfortable, but basic. The bathroom was small and needed updating. Our room overlooked the front and the main road was always very noisy. The restaurant had a limited choice of food which was presented in a fine dining style, but was only average. My husband had ravioli as a starter. This was one large piece of ravioli swimming in oil. I had a fig and mozerella salad. The mozerella was the hard type suitable for pizza topping. A sugar syrup coated the dish, making it very sweet. The waiter forgot to bring one of the side dishes for the main course. Not many people were eating in the restaurant. Afterwards in the bar when ordering a drink I asked to put it on my room tab, as we had just done in the restaurant. Not having my room key available as proof, the barman was unsure if he could allow this, despite the hotel having my credit card details on booking.
The breakfast was a generous spread of continental and full English, but unfortunately the hot food was tepid. When I asked for a decaf cappuccino I was told that I could only have instant coffee because the machine had been turned off.
On our second night we ate our evening meal the The Huntsmans pub about a mile down the road. The food, drinks and service was excellent. We noted that their rooms with breakfast included were £80 per night, unlike the BW which was £100 per night without breakfast included.
Generally, for the cost, I expected better.

Room Tip: Lots of traffic noise at the front. May be quieter at the back.
Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
AnthonyG3627, General Manager at Best Western Bristol North The Gables Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2018

Dear Clare R,

Thank you for leaving your comments about your stay with us. I am of course saddened to see that your stay fell below your expectations. We are very proud to be part of the Best Western Brand and I do believe that our rooms are of a higher standard than a limited service hotel brand.

It would appear that we have failed you on this occasion so please do accept my apologies.

Reviewed 16 September 2018

The Gables hotel was an excellent place to stop overnight on our journey. The room was well positioned for us and our dog and they provide a dog bed for her with a bowl and a few treats. The meal in the bar was basic but good. All in all a good experience.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear prandall732,

I am really pleased that you and your dog enjoyed your stay with us. We are very proud of the fact that we accept dogs into our hotel and they of course get looked after by us.
We look forward to seeing you on your visit to the area.

Reviewed 11 September 2018

We came for lunch on Saturday with my parents to celebrate their anniversary. We had a 2 course meal which was excellent. My mum had the salmon and she said it was lovely, myself and my husband had pea & mint risotto which was really good. We had limoncello & raspberry semi-freddo for dessert and it was delicious. We also had a bottle of house wine - Shiraz, Tango. It was superb. The service was excellent and all of the staff were friendly. Would highly recommend and hope to return.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family

Dear choctruf,

Thank you for such a great review about your recent visit to us. It is always pleasing to receive such positive feedback from our customers.
The team are very passionate about the service that they provide and so I am pleased that you were able to experience that service first hand.
We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

Stayed Sunday to Friday while working nearby.
Clean, comfortable rooms, decent shower, freeview channels, free WiFi with good signal, refreshments tray...
Decent breakfast selection with quality products....prompt service and table clearing.
Bar area comfortable with a reasonable evening menu, prices a bit steep, but food quality wasn't bad. Fair selection of drinks, bottled and draft, though the John Smiths was rotten. Golden IPA was much better.
Lack of some bottled choices 'til Thursday...
Friendly staff...Bobby on the bar...and breakfast...and.....Morgan....Paul "Hollywood" (night porter) ...up for a bit of banter ...just one R.B.F.....
Would return.
If they'd have us !

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
AnthonyG3627, General Manager at Best Western Bristol North The Gables Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2018

Dear David c,

Thank you for such a great review and really pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay. I will share your comments with the team as it is very important that we share reviews with them.
We would most certainly have you back at any time and look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 8 September 2018 via mobile

We decided to eat in the hotel restaurant... What a disappoint..! They only fresh things on the plate, were the potatoes. They were OK. The salmon was DRY & TASTELESS. The so-called salsa, was a warmed up portion of tinned tomatoes... Seriously, we could have done better ourselves at home. In fact, we would have been extremely embarrassed to serve this awful dish to any of our personal guests...

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Bennybentahm2018,

I am extremely sorry to see such a review about your recent experience with us. Your comments do surprise me as we have had nothing but fantastic feedback about this particular menu and about its choices. We certainly do not use tinned products for our main restaurant menu. The salsa is a red pepper based salsa as described on the menu and is prepared freshly by our very passionate kitchen team.
Once again I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion.