“Awesome Hotel”
Review of B&S Boutique Hotel

B&S Boutique Hotel
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Batu Pahat
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Check in on new year eve, planned to stay only one day but extended two more days. The moment I walk in to the hotel the reception greeted me with a cheerful smile making me feel very comfortable, forgetting of my tiredness from a long drive. The room is awesome, clean and fresh making me feel like my own room. The house keepng staff attended even to my request for cotton bud, needle and tread, she also offer to sew it for me. I ate western food in the cafe and the lamb chop is superb.
I check out with full of smile and satisfaction that everyone in the hotel take the effort to go the extra mile for their guests. I'll recommend it to all my friends..... Bravo to all the staffs and keep up the good service and big thank you for making my short stay with you a memorable one......

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank penangtravelcrazy
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 1 January 2012

Don't judge the book by its cover!!! the room, exactly what you can see from the pictures... love the shower... had a great day staying there... price... reasonable... and don't have to worry about parking spaces... and they provide security to take care of your vehicle as well... the interior... impressed... feel like staying there again...

Room Tip: Choose room by ensure that everyone will get their own bed... cause the floor is not covered by carp...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank nh_162
Reviewed 30 December 2011

When I was in BP two weeks ago, I stayed at Garden Hotel and this time around I decided to try B&S. By far it is smaller in scale but newer and therefore more pricey. For a family room, it cost me M$178. It is a mistake as the size of the two beds (one queen and one single) could hardly fit in two adults and three juniors (7, 14 and 18) whereas in other hotels I would expect the two beds to be of similar size. But that aside, the room is clean, likewise the beds and the toilet.

I have read that some reviewers complained about the noise and the thrown-in breakfast. I have no view on the free breakfast as I hate eating in hotels especially when there are plenty of good food outside within walking distance. In fact, I have three types of breakfast in the next morning - wanton noodles, kaya toasts with soft boiled eggs, fried carrot cakes and durians, all within 5-10 minute walking distance.

I could confirm that it could be a bit noisy as the hotel rooms are located on the 3rd floor and the road that facing it is the main road the express buses pass by. Personally I am okay with the noise from the streets and during my stay the clan association opposite was practicing lion dance for the upcoming Chinese New Year till 10.30pm! What I was surprising and dismay about the noise is the loud noise generated by doors closing and what made the matter worse is that the hotel design for rooms was rather odd as within a short distance two meters there could be four doors next to each other. The floor being tiled rather than carpeted probably also contributed to higher noise level. But that to me is also a strength as carpeted flooring easily trapped dust and germs and I would prefer to stay in a hotel when the room is free from that.

I used to preferred hotel with window views, and while the room I stayed has excellent view of the street scape, it also lacks privacy and the blinds have to be drawn down all the time, making the room effectively no view!

But all these shortcoming is made up of good service. the counter staff are all very helpful, warm and friendly. I asked for a second access card and a new towel as one was accidentally dropped on the floor, in return, I got two more. So service wise it is certainly far better than Garden opposite.

For those who must stay in touch with the world, wifi is free and the hotel has excellent TV reception for SIngapore's CNA, Ch 5 and Ch 8.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Jalan Abu Bakar will experience afternoon sun and blinds have to be drawn down most of...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank PKWSingapore
Reviewed 28 December 2011

The room that I stayed is big and clean. Good recharge after a day working.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Gutty_T
Reviewed 14 December 2011

For the price, there is really nothing one can complain about. But objectively, there is lots to talk about.

For one thing, if you desire a peaceful environment, look elsewhere and stop reading now.

If you are a looking for a "new" hotel at a very reasonable price, stop reading and book it now.

For Batu Pahat, this hotel is considered very modern in it's look and design. Proximity card doors, "boutique" rooms, and in my room (not sure about the rest), rain shower, modern Sony LCD TV, a bar counter with no bar.

The hotel is converted from what appears to be a old office building. It is located on two (or three...?) of the floors of said building, if I recall correctly. It definitely does not cover all the floors that the lift goes up to (there were five or six floors). There is a Chinese restaurant on one of the floors.

I took the Grand Deluxe room (in fact, the very one that you see on their website). It was a corner room with strange layout. The room was clean and modern looking, albeit with cheap furnishing, fittings and tacky wallpaper.

Little thought has been given to the corner Grand Deluxe room layout. It had a silly hanging decorative lighting that wobbled non-stop and created moving shadows. Yet turning the light off makes the room too dark.

The curtain you see attempts to hide the windows to the main street. However, it fails to reduce the noise coming in. Upon peeling back the curtain, I can see clearly that there is no attempt to make good sound seals, the window hinges were loose. Again, the building is of significant age.

The bathroom was nice and clean, but the toilet bowl was not flushing, and the ventilation windows could not be closed, hence letting in noise from the street again. Upon closer inspection (i.e. getting on a chair) I noticed that there was a clump of what appears to be dried cement blocking the window from closing. Again you get the impression that the building is old and they simply plastered decorative stuff on top to hide it's age.

The car park is outdoors and if I recall correctly, most of it is unpaved road. Security is pretty good however. When I came back at night there were several guards posted and patrolling. They stopped my car to check me out before letting me in. Good.

Their so-called "safety doors", which are "accessible only to our room guests", is a great idea in theory. In reality, due to the nature of the guests which frequent this hotel, the door is kept wide open. My attempts to close it were in fact, thwarted by their very own security guard, who nodded and smiled at me as I closed the door and went past. Turning around, I saw that he had pulled the door and kept it open again. Every time I went to get water (do not drink the water from the taps in the rooms), I saw that the door was left open.

Did not try the breakfast, I do not normally bother with hotel breakfasts as local food is my preference.

Will not be going back to this "hotel". Booked Pine Tree Hotel with trepidation (stayed at Katerina previously. Might be going back there next time).

Room Tip: Do not choose rooms with windows. Very noisy. I checked with the front desk and they mentioned that...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo