1,908 results
All reviews mike's coffee privilege restaurant juan pierre snack bar fish east pool the bus a la carte restaurants main building large shower stand up shower mobility issues hand held shower privilege upgrade lobster dinner pizza chicken
Reviewed 22 April 2018

My husband and myself just spent 2 weeks at the Ocean Casa Del Mar resort from April 1-15. This resort was categorized as a 5 star resort and it is far from that. Never will we stay here again or will not ever recommend this resort. We had booked a poolside view deluxe room and we were given an ocean view (way in the distance) room with a swampy area view which was a big eye sore. There was a toilet discarded in the shrubs. The beach and ocean was typical Cuban beautiful but there were no washrooms nearby and the walk to the beach was too far. In 14 days we only had clean beach towels once. The food at the buffet was horrible. Repetitive for breakfast, lunch and dinner. French fries and rice daily. Long line ups for the eggs and most of the food at the buffet was cold. No variation in the menu at all! The booking system for the ala carte restaurants were a royal pain in the behind....you had to line up every day to attempt to get a reservation for that evening. Every drink we tried was not correct.....the bar tenders need to attend mixology classes. We asked for a Baileys and we received coffee cream with ice cubes!!! We had to put in a formal complaint as our room was never cleaned properly, trash cans not emptied, no toilet paper, counter tops and table never wiped down. We had a HUGE cockroach in our washroom. The lounging chairs at the pool were mostly broken and the plastic grates around the poolside were constantly breaking and staff never replaced or repaired them. We saw people fall through them on a daily basis. It was a huge safety issue and people were injuring their legs and feet constantly. The snack bar was always running out of food. Many people were sick, 3 people had to go to the hospital. Our door key deactivated at least 4X and we were unable to get into our room. Very difficult to reach the front desk or shuttle driver. The fridge guys were always restocking late in the day, usually when we were attempting to have a rest before dinner. Very disappointed with this resort

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Denyse M
OceanCustomerService, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ocean Casa del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2018

Dear : Denyse M

Thank you for expressing your opinion about our hotel, it is a pleasure for us that you have chosen us as a destination, we hope to share with you your next vacation, Ocean Casa del Mar, wait for your visit.
Best regards.

Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

This was our second time staying at OCDM and we are already planning next years trip back! We had a blast with Alex from entertainment, he is awesome! The shows this year were great as well. The dancers are amazing!
Yoleidy, Danay, Andro and Pedro at the buffet were so fantastic, we ate at the buffet for every meal! So much fun, very friendly and very attentive! Our glasses were never empty! The food seems to have improved from last year as well. We can't wait to see everyone again!!
The staff at that resort really makes the resort one of the better ones I've been to.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Angela L

Dear:Angela L

Thank you very much for taking your time and writing about your wonderful experience at our hotel, it is a pleasure for us to have been your choice for the enjoyment of your holidays, we hope to be back with you as soon as possible, once again all your expectations will be met , the family of Ocean Casa del Mar, awaits your return.

Reviewed 22 April 2018

I believe in some basic standards and it is the reason for this review. We stayed at building 12 which is located on the east end of the property. It seemed strange to us that our building was sitting on a little “oasis” with water pooling all around and underneath it, whereas the rest of the property was as dry as a bone. One day we noticed that the water (along with toilet paper and other recognizable mass) was coming out of the sewer access manhole located on the lawn. One day, a gardener tended to the lawn and trimmed the luscious grass which you would find in this particular spot of the resort and nowhere else. A couple of days later, the water started coming out of the sewer access manhole right beside the entrance staircase to our building and this time you could actually smell it. Other than that – the beach is the best we’ve ever seen and the hotel has great potential, but it is hard to get over the image of staying at a 5-star resort sitting in its own caca…

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family

Dear:bella8882018

We sincerely appreciate your comments about our hotel, they will be very useful to improve our hotel operation, we would be very grateful to be your next choice again, we would win your trust and your vacations would be excellent.
Best regards.

Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

I took a trip to Ocean Casa Del Mar from April 11-18 with my boyfriend, his brother and his brothers girlfriend. We had such a great time.

STAFF:
The hotel staff was very friendly, if you give them the chance. I saw a lot of tourists, mainly from our own country of Canada, being very rude, entitled and disrespectful. I did not encounter too many rude staff members, actually, the staff is what made our stay so enjoyable.
I want to shout out Daniel and Carlos at the buffet who always had huge smiles on their faces and went above and beyond. They helped us put together a birthday dinner for my boyfriend and even when there weren’t tables for 4, they put 2 tables together to let us sit in our preferred seating.
Yusbel and Yoandy at the snack bar were so much fun, friendly and helpful from day one. They worked every other day (unfortunately for us).. we ended up feeling like close friends by the end of the week. They go out of their way to make special drinks and conversation was always fun with them. Eliel “El pollo” at the snack bar also went out of his way to make special food for us, without us even asking. Cesar was really fun too and was always working hard in and out of the kitchen.
Kindness rewards kindness.
Julio and Noeli at the Beach Bar were terrific!! Again, great conversation and amazing service. Jorge Luis who worked at the lounge chair area on the beach was the most humble man I’ve ever met. So sweet and thoughtful.
Pepe at the pool bar was sooooo much fun and went out of his way to make special drinks/ shots.
I don’t understand how there are so many
people complaining about the staff when that’s the number one reason why we had such a great time. I feel like we’ve made friends and would definitely come back because of them.

FOOD:
If you’re a picky eater or have huge expectations, you should probably consider a different resort. I will say that it’s true that the most popular food goes quickly, but they work quickly to bring more out for the high demand. I’m not a picky eater and I also didn’t expect to load my plate with food every single day or every meal. I picked what I liked and made a standard plate of food to eat. They had many options in my opinion and the food was well-seasoned. Don’t be afraid to try something new or out of your comfort zone, you may be surprised with what you like. The cooks at the buffet work hard and try their best to satisfy all the hungry people waiting.
The omelette station was really good in the morning. The fruit and the fruit smoothies were delicious. And ice cream at night was a good treat.

BEACH:
AMAZING. That’s all I’ll say.
The entertainment team (Joa) was super fun during the day at the beach, even if you didn’t participate and only watched. The bar staff and cooks were all superb!!
I overheard one or two people complaining about the bar staff, but these were the same people asking to be whistled at once the food was ready. Don’t feel entitled or better than anyone else. It is their job to serve you but not to be your personal maid or assistant. If you’re hungry, get up and get your own food lol.

ROOM:
We had an amazing room in building 11 on the West side (the fun side). It was perfectly situated near the snack bar and a short walk from the buffet. We had room 1151 which had partial pool and beach view. I loved our room. Nothing wrong with it, at all. Great decor and layout, perfectly working AC and shower. Clean towels and sheets everyday. The maid did a great job and the guys who would stock up our fridge gave us everything we needed or asked for.

TIPS:
- Buffet was not as full around 8-9am.
- Do not go to Limoncello, it’s complete crap from the service to the food.
- Origami was pretty good.
- Building 11 was awesome.
- Make sure your safe is working before you put anything in and lock it accidentally.
- Mopeds are available for rent if you like adventure and want to leave the resort for a bit
- Plaza Estrella was fun for the carnival on Thursday but also during the day if you want to shop a bit.
- The town (a short walk down the beach/ a walk going West passed building 15) was a lot of fun. Party in that little square on Saturday (and Tuesday I believe) was fun with a live DJ. We also went to the bowling place there to bowl and play pool. It was a great time. We also walked there during the day and did some souvenir shopping.
- Michael Jackson night was so much fun!
- Cuba day was great at the lobby bar with a live band and churros, etc.
- Instead of tipping only with money, we brought a few gifts. Even if they were lightly used, they were much appreciated. Makeup, cologne, perfume, jewelry, etc. Everyone we made friends with from the staff memebers were thrilled and grateful.

Overall we had a wonderful experience. I would definitely recommend it and come back. If you are ignorant and can admit it, then maybe pick a high end 5 star resort lol.
Orrrrr you can try to be open minded and see how people can and will go above and beyond for you, if you actually let them. SMILE AND BE FRIENDLY.. positivity and genuinely trying to have a great time will ensure an amazing getaway.

Gracias OCDM, hasta la próxima!!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Andrea P

Dear:Andrea P

Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

I’ve never written a review for as long as I can remember yet I always rely heavily on them when making a purchase which involves a few hundred dollars or more. Based on the fact that this trip was one of those, here’s my review for our trip April 11-18.
I will start off by saying that everyone at this resort made us feel the most welcome, happy, and relaxed we have ever been. This was our first time to Cayo Santa Maria but my 8th to Cuba. A week in advance I emailed the resort to 3 different emails (I cc’d everyone on it) asking if it was all possible to accommodate a few requests - I was travelling with my girlfriend, my brother and his girlfriend. I received a reply within a few hours from Osiris and Yamila with an extremely pleasant reply letting me know in short that they’d try their best to their availability to accommodate us. Our Sunwing flight to CSM went without a hitch and everything was on time. Security check and everything at the airport was quick and painless and once we exited the plane we were greeted with the warm Cuban Air and a few ppl selling cervezas when leaving the airport - which we obviously took advantage of. The bus ride there was 1.5 hours give or take and though it was nighttime and couldn’t see our surroundings much, we still enjoyed it. Check-in was quick and easy and we were greeted with a smile, a quick explanation of the nearest facilities, a map of the hotel and our room keys. We were told to wait for the bell boy who’d take us to our room in a couple of minutes - we took advantage of those minutes and exchanged our CAD money to CUC at the front desk. The luggage person who helped us was our tour guide while on the cart, we dropped off another couple first at the Far West end of the hotel and he showed and explained all the buildings on our way to ours which was building 11, he helped us up to our rooms on the 3rd floor and we were amazed at our rooms. The layout, the furniture, the shower, the washroom, the view, the coffee maker, and LCD tv which we never even used once because we don’t go on vaca to watch TV, etc everything was amazing!! The decor, honestly, I was happy - we, were happy. After settling in a bit we went down to the snack bar which was conveniently located across our building. This was the first time we met our dear friends Yusbel and Yoandy. Man these guys are a dynamic duo and will make your evenings super enjoyable. The minute you meet them you know they’re gonna go out of their way to make you feel welcome and all they want in exchange is your smile and a thank you - honestly, I don’t get how many of my fellow Canadians get away without giving out these things away... they cost you nothing!! We did see a few grumpy people complaining about the most insignificant things and exaggerating but to each their own and everyone has their own personalities and opinions so we just stayed away from negative people and gave out our positive vibes to the ones that welcomed it.
The next day we obviously hit the beach first thing in the morning and wow is all I gotta say, turquoise waters, white sand and loungers and palapas galore. We chose the east side beach and bar which is where we had lunch almost every day. Julio is by far the best cook there and the rest follow his lead, an amazing man with huge charisma. We also met Noeli who’s the bartender for the beach bar along with a younger girl and another lady who’s name has escaped my memory but made our beach days super fun and were always ready to provide us with freshly made drinks. Noeli was the one we interacted with the most and she was always smiling and happy to see us - the girls and her almost cried when the time to say goodbye came around. At the beach we met Jorge Luis, a simple man with so much fun positive vibes to give. Every morning since the day we met him he would reserve 4 chairs for us at our usual spot and he’d be there waiting till we showed up for our daily routine (beach in the morning, pool in the afternoon, etc).
Just one more note about fellow travellers, things you wouldn’t say or do at home... what makes it ok to say or do while on vacation, manners and courtesy shouldn’t take a vacation, they should be with us at all times!!
Back to my review, on the second night we had dinner at the Buffet and met Daniel and Carlos... man these guys, wow is all I gotta say. They made sure we were accommodated, comfortable and had anything we needed. My brother wasn’t feeling the greatest one night and off he went to god knows where to find him a couple of cans of tonic water to ease his stomach issue and that level of service is what we were greeted with anytime we saw them. The hotel is fairly new so the vegetation isn’t as mature as you’d find at any older hotels but the gardeners make their best effort to ensure everything is maintained and taken care of at the best of their ability. Yes, there’s an outer lining of plastic around the pools which are meant to be there they’re called gratings. They serve many purposes for the pool but walking on them is most definitely not one of them. Do not walk on them. At the activity pool we met another dynamic duo, our dear friends Pepe and Vania, these 2 know how to keep the fiesta live and know how to keep going until closing time!! Make sure to let them know they’re recognized here on Trip Advisor!! The best chefs are definitely at the snack bar, Ceasar, Eliel and Yanni. If you feel like you want something tasty go visit any of them... they’re awesome.
All in all we had an amazing memorable vacation and met some of the best people I’ve ever met in my travels and I would definitely consider going back to this hotel in the future. My gf and I are in our 30’s while my brother and his gf are in their 20’s so from our point of view we got everything we wanted and needed and to every con there were always another 5 pro alternatives so if you’re debating wether or not this is the place for you then let me tell you this: if what you want is a worry free vacation, stress free atmosphere, decent selection of food and be treated amazingly then this is the place to be. Almost forgot to mention the maids for building 11 on the 2nd and 3rd floor thank you so much for always making sure our rooms were clean and in top shape everyday, they were great! And I’m sorry I didn’t get their names!!
Remember it’s Cuba, please don’t compare it to anywhere else unless you grew up in a 3rd world country. They work hard and do their best to accommodate every single one of us during our hard earned vacation and we all come in different shapes and forms so let’s all be inclusive and respect one another they way we all deserve. If you tip in your own country after your bartender gives you a drink at a bar or club or your server at any resto then c’mon, don’t be a cheapskate while away!!! Enjoy your vacation if you choose to go to Oceans Casa Del Mar and tell them the 2 brothers with their girlfriends from Toronto say hi!!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple