“great resort, great time!”
Review of Melia Las Dunas

Melia Las Dunas
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Toronto, Canada
“great resort, great time!”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We loved the resort and its beach!! Breathtaking sand and water and not too crouded. We have travelled extensively and i must say that this beach has nothing to envy to the Grenadines and Barbados, for a fraction of the price! I will definetly go back.
We had upgraded our rooms and i think that was a smart choice, the rooms were clean and our wonderful maid Kania would leave something special on our bed everyday, like flowers arranged with towels etc. Very nice of her, we looked forward to finding one of her creations every evening!!
Personnel at MLD is friendly and they work so hard at making your vacation memorable! A special thank you goes to Marllovit, Maria and Regino, they were fantastic and really spoiled us!! if i knew the names of all the other wonderful people that worked at the resort i would make a whole list!
The food was not the greatest, but the variety was good and there was plentiful. I did not like the "specialty restaurants" but preferred the buffet both for quality and choice. Restaurants like the oriental and the mexican were pretty bad and had nothing to do with real mexican or oriental food. I d rather have local cuisine than poor imitations of international ones. The seafood restaurant was the best among all the themed ones.
The pools are huge and very well kept. I liked the fact that they have a family and activity pool and a "relax" pool. Personally, i don t go to the Caribbenas to be at the pool but i am sure the pople who loves pools were happy!
i liked the style of te resort, the bungalows and the open colonial style areas. The bedrooms were very nicely furnished and i liked the style. The grounds are very well kept as well.

Room Tip: second floor rooms do not get flooded in case of heavy rain!
4 Thank sk8rmom4ever
Marco M, General Manager at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Many thanks for choose Meliá las Dunas and for describe your vacation on Trip
Advisor.

I´m very sorry if you could not have the possibility to enjoy in our Thematics; despite
the % of occupancy, all our customers should receive the correct number of reservations.

We are very happy to know that you have had a pleasant stay and I assure you that for
you next visit we´ll be more carefully with your Thematic evenings.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,335)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Fantastic vacation at Melia Las Dunas (From August 17th to 24th)

My wife, two young adult children and Friends family of 6 had a fantastic vacation week at Melia Las Dunas.I and my family have been to Holguin, Varadaro , Havana and Cayo COCO resorts and must say that Melia Las Dunas is one of the best that I have been.

LOBBY: Beautiful large lobby that is huge open and welcoming. The reception staff are very pleasant and helpful.

ROOMS: We booked two rooms 6424 and 6425. The rooms were clean and well setup. The washrooms were also well equipped with all the required toiletries. However, it was a bit of a distance to the beach, buffet and lobby. However the walk was good especially after meals.

Room Maids: The rooms were well cleaned each day and fridge restocked all as per my request from the first day. Had no issues at all - excellent facilities.

Room Service: I received prompt service when I called for extra towels, or for my safe to be rest never had to wait more than 15min's.

BARS: There are bars situated along the beach, centrally and in the lobby. The service was excellent and even got all my drinks brought to me at the beach where my family and friends were sitting. Enjoyed the Beer Garden - especially the imported beer (Bavaria, Becks, Corona ). Also the international liquor was just fantastic.

POOL & Beach: As the beach was beautiful, we saw no reason to go to the pool. Only to have our beach towels exchanged. Also as mentioned above the bonus was to get our drinks brought to us at our beach hut (shade)

Reception Front desk: Very friendly and willing to help. My friends of 6 had their rooms split between the adult and children section. Initially there were no rooms together but promptly got it changed for a small tip.

Evening and Nightly Entertainment: There were a variety of bands and solo artists at various location through the central area of the resort. So we were dancing most of the evening. The shows at the theater were equally good and enjoyed all of them.

Animation Staff: Worked hard and tried to make the place fun. My family and friends like to participate in most activities. However, Marco I think this area needs some attention. The Animation staff needs a little more training how to encourage more people to participate in activities. They should show a little more enthusiasm and not give up after a couple tries.
Beach Volleyball: The beach volleyball court needs some attention - too many prickly stuff around the court. Requires to be cleaned up. Also the Animation staff cut the volleyball activity at time to only 15min's sighting it was too hot. Maybe a change in time to 4pm in the evening instead of 11am may be a better time. However, we brought our own ball and had a lot of fun.

Food: For my friends and family we enjoyed the food at this restore. There was a good and big variety at the buffer and eat well there. Did not enjoy the a la carte restaurants as much. This may be because we brought our own species and had the cook stations in the buffer restaurants apply our species as the meals were being prepared.

Tipping: As I mentioned that I received the best service above and that is because I quickly learned If I tipped regularly during the day at all venues I got served promptly and regularly even before other. I have no issues but this might be an area that needs attention.

In Closing: I would definitely recommend Melia Las Dunas and return next year with my family and friends.

4 Thank Brian A
Many thanks for choose Meliá las Dunas and for post a review on Trip Advisor.

Your words of satisfaction are the best reward to our effort and an incentive to keep
working diligently.

We are very happy to know that your family and you have such nice memories about
your stay and will be a very pleasure for all us to host you again next season.
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2012

6 of us arrived at the hotel on 12th August 2012 looking forward to a fantastic holiday & to celebrate my best friends 40th birthday. On initial arrival all looked fab, welcoming was amazing & the hotel looked fabulous. However a few days into the holiday i started to feel unwell, just put it down to being in a foreign country & just getting used to there food, drink etc as you expect, but after 6 days of not being able to shift the sickness & diahhorea it was getting beyond a joke, not just me my husband & son, but my best friend her husband & daughter all fell ill & sad to say it was for the whole time(2 weeks) we were there. It obviously came down to bad food hygiene, the food was disgusting although it was kept under heating it was stone cold, we basically survived on toast & fruit the whole time we were there, yes we went to the restaurants but they weren't much to rate the only one that was most enjoyable was the pizzeria, the food was nice there & the service was spot on. I can't fault the resort itself, it was very nice & the beach was stunning, sadly we couldn't spend much time there as we had to be close to a toilet in case of vomiting & diahhorea. As for the 40th celebrations, it was just ruined as no one was interested in eating besides when we booked the seafood restaurant for the celebration it got cancelled leaving one upset friend, so we transferred to the italian which was appauling, waited 40 minutes for someone to take an order then when it arrived the chicken was pink inside, needless to say nothing got eaten that night either. I can honestley say, all the holiday's i have been on this is the only one that i couldn't wait to get home from, i can honestly say i will not be going back here again. You work hard all year for a fab holiday, then it gets totally ruined......This was one big holiday nightmare.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Rotty27
Many thanks for prefer Meliá las Dunas and for share your opinion on Trip Advisor.

As explained in other answer, for a few days of August we had some guests who attended the Clinic.
As usually happens in cases like this, we received 3 inspections by the Public Health Department and an Inspector came directly from Europe.
The results of the inspections was that all operations of the Hotel are in the parameters.

I´m very sorry that, despite our efforts, your stay was not as pleasant as expected.
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We stayed at Melia Las Dunas from 17th to 25th aug. Me, my wife , 2 boy's, brother and 76 year old mom. We had a great time, a blast !! We all enjoyed our stay MLD. I was worried for my mom, the heat, the walking, the hygiene and the food. I must say, we must of been lucky, because everything went well far all of us.

Melia Las Dunas: the place is huge, yes. But in good way, you will never feel overcrowded at the beach, the restaurants, the lobby, the adult pool, from what I saw(1hour at the end of the each day) the only place where it is crowded was the family pool, and it's not that bad when you consider that it is a family resort and time of day, remember you are not in your own back yard. Like I said use the adult pool if it's too crowdy for your taste.

Facilities: beautiful big lobby, enough to sit a lot of people. Clean public bathroom, bars at all the right places, disco and theatre are ok, music plaza at night was super fun! Grounds beautiful and well maintained. I read critics and was woried about the saying their is not enough transport on site for people who needs it, well I must say I was impressed with the amount of golf carts that I saw on the site.

Check in and customer service: well organized, and fast. I was impressed took only five minutes , that it! Luggage are sent to our rooms. We just walk and sight-seeing to our room. A big thank you to Miriela Pombal Moreno at customer service for everything you've done for me and my family, you are a big reason why it was special.

Beach : Wow! The main reason we go there, crystal clear water, white sand, we got the best of both worlds: 4 day's of mirror calm ocean, perfect for scuba, pedal boats and older people, 3 day's of wind and good waves for the kids and hobby cats. A lot of sun-hut and chair. Tip: because of the site the beach is virtualy separated in 3 sections, far east single side, section not crowded and calm, middle more crowded access to the restaurants/grill/beergarden and a lot noise because of the animation/activities. Far west family side, where we spend all our week next nautical center, close to beachbar and shower, close to our bungalow. Very convenient for our family. So no worry you will find a place that will suit your need.

Room: we were situated in bungalow #30 , all the family , very central to everything, the beach , the pool and lobby/ restaurant. Our room 3026, superb our ocean view ! The room itself was ok, clean and bug free. The rooms for the boy's was on the first floor, also no problem. Thanks to Barbara for her beautiful job.

Lobby Bars: impress with the diversity and with all the international brand that they serve. I'm not talking about the liquors, we have seen that before. But the high-end stuff : scotches ( glenfiddich, macallan) cognac Hennessy and the Rum's Havana, Mulata and Santiago 10, 11, 12, even 15 years old ... Me and my brother were in paradise. Thanks to Pavel and Alberto at west beachbar for the wonderful services, ask for a Pavel tropical special. Hmmm!

Restaurants: food is always sensitive issue when it comes to reviews anywhere in Cuba, some people like it, some people don't. It's not Canada, it's not Europe it's not Bahamas or Jamaica, but I must say at MLD is the best place I ate so far in Cuba. For me buffet was fine, i had something to eat everyday, my youngest son is a bit difficult with food, so I was a bit worried, but he ate like a pig all week long. Service is good depending on who you have as a waiter/ress, so use the power of your tipping, well! If they don't deserve show them, and don't return. But if they do and are nice to you, show it. You will benefit from it all week long. Take a day or two and you'll see whose efficient and not. Thanks to Yoandry and Manuel for their wonderful jobs and smile. The restaurant Los Sibonneys (snack bar) and Mi Cunoco (pizza) are good also for lunch. "A la carte" restaurant, Italian, romantico, sea food were fine, a change from the buffet. Thank to Sylvio and Malay at the Italian for good service and job. Rebember it's Cuba, when you go to "a la carte" restaurant, so a filet Mignon is not the same standard as ours. Have that in mind and put down everybody's espectations, you'll have a great meal and evening. But the Chinese or Asian is disgrace, please do something else with your time, enough said. Tip: suggest if you have the space and weight to spare for it, bring a few bottles of wine or stop at duty free. After two nights you will be done with their wine list.

Traveling : the flight in and out was fine, stadard to anywhere in Cuba, but the bus ride, specialy on the day of the return, make your day very long, when you add airport, flight, custom, and you don't want to leave.

Overall: a nice and fun resort, i recommend it to anyone, really enjoyed the place, wonderful staff go all the way for you, to make you feel special and your holiday special, it's difficult for me to point out the thing that makes it so wonderful. There's a comfort about MLD, a feel like at home. Good job to all you

Room Tip: Try to have your room on the 2nd floor in the center or middle of the 3 main location of where you...
5 Thank Martin D
Many thanks for prefer Meliá las Dunas and for describe your vacation on Trip Advisor.

We appreciate your opinion and we consider that some of the comments that you made
are correct; I assure that we are focused to improve them all.

We are pleased that, despite these minor inconveniences, yourstay has been very pleasant and your memories of our Hotel are so beautiful.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2012

20 of us arrived from England at the hotel on Sunday 12th August 2012 for our nephews wedding. First impressions of the hotel were fabulous, but just 1 day into the holiday my daughter and my husband started feeling ill with severe abdominal pains, diarrarohea, sickness, temperature & listlessness, they spent the whole of the next day in bed. I started being ill on the Tuesday and had exactly the same symptoms and spent the whole of the next day in bed. We couldn't eat or drink for the next 5 days and when we did start eating and drinking everything went straight through us - this lasted for the whole fortnight. What a great start to your holidays!!!

As the holiday wore on everyone in our party starting being ill and by the Friday of the first week which was the day of the wedding more people were ill than were ok including the bride. Everyone made an effort and attended the wedding and did their best in the circumstances but at the reception on the night no-one was able to eat the food and I spent the whole time on a sun bed as i couldn't even look at food never mind eat it and I drank water all day and even the bride had to leave the party to be sick.

The food in all of the restaurants including the al a carte restaurants was always cold and inedible and we got by on bread, soup, toast, fruit etc. I spoke to the deputy manager of the hotel on the first Friday that everyone was ill and he told me that the 1st complaint he had regarding people being ill had been on the Saturday before we arrived on the Sunday and they had upped the cleaning regime and brought hygiene inspectors in to test the food. Surely if that was the case you would think they wouldn't accept any new guests until they knew the resort was safe.

We paid £4,000.00 for 3 of us for what we thought would be a holiday of a lifetime which turned out to be the biggest nightmare of our lives and I suppose the bride and groom feel even more upset as the best day of their lives was ruined.

I could list many other things that were not right about the holiday but feel that they were insignificant compared to the nightmare we endured.

We have been to Cuba before in Varadero in a Melia hotel and hand no such problems

9 Thank Ann B
Marco M, General Manager at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, 1 September 2012
Many thanks for choose Meliá las Dunas to celebrate your nephews marriage.

As you said, we received a visit from the health department inspectors
(thing that happens when some hotel guests are reported to the clinic)
and the inspection result has been positive for the Hotel, because it was
all in the parameters.

We are very sorry about what happened, especially because it was a wedding trip,
which obviously brings great expectations.

Meliá las Dunas is the Hotel that organizes more weddings in country by far;
is a result that we have achieved after years of success and this setback grieves
us very much.