2,915 results
All reviews piano bar pizza restaurant la picua fish pasta the bus santa maria nude beach beach restaurant beautiful beach best pizza other resorts smaller resort quiet resort crepes white sand relaxing vacation
Reviewed 26 August 2018

It started already wrong at the reception, the room booked was not available.
After 30 minutes of phones and discussions, we ended with a standard room instead of the superior room. We never received the things for the superior room as promised by the staff.
The buffet is in the main restaurant, which is mainly of bad overboiled quality. So we went mainly to the grill of fo the eggs and pancakes which were freshly made.
If possible, go to one of the restaurants on site for diner, pizza and local dishes were very good.
The hotel was hardly for 1/4 filled, so don't understand the discussion at the start. It needs an complete renovation. Currently hardly international people in the hotel, but more cubans.
The rules at the pool are only there for those who want to read them, so nearly everybody was drinking, eating and smoking near and in the pool. Don't be surprised if you see a hotdog floating near your face!
People are unfriendly beside the few ones doing their best like Réne Juaquin at the pool, Liliane in the resto and Yunior in the cuban resto.
Staff also use electrical vehicles on site for guests and laundry, jump beside because they don't stop!
Last thing to mention: noise at the pool and near the beach of the daily live disco from morning till evening.Who told them we like loud music during a relaxing vacation
Sorry but this hotel isn't worth to be in a Melia group

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
10  Thank Daniel19721972
D_General2018, Gerente at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2018

Dear Daniel19721972,

We so much regret your experience at our resort had lead you to write this review. It shows we have not been able to fully meet your expectations and we heartily apologize for it. It is a fact that there are still several issues in which we need to keep on working for all our guests to experience a trully 4 star service.

Thanks to your comments, which we have very carefully studied, we have focused on several particular aspects so we are able to make our services more efficient, especially in the field of service and the facilities of the hotel.

In any case, we would really appreciate if you give us the opportunity to serve you, once again, in your next vacation in Cayo Santa Maria.

Reviewed 19 August 2018

This hotel should have only 1 star, the attention to the guests is horrible, the staff to cover the demand is the worst, the service slow, and the buffet has very little variety of desserts and ice cream for children only two flavors, plus you need an urgent improvement to the facilities, the only positive thing is its beaches that are beautiful, I do not recommend this hotel, it was a total disappointment.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
9  Thank Grencho R
D_General2018, Gerente at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2018

Dear Grencho R,

Reviewed 12 August 2018

I just had to wait a bit on the day we got there because the room was not ready. Everything else was fine. I loved the staff there. They were really nice and caring. I just have one complain; the food. I did not see a big variety, some days we got the same food but some days we had different things to eat.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Pooja N
D_General2018, Gerente at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2018

Dear Pooja N,

You make us feel much rewarded with your positive review about your holidays at Sol Cayo Santa Maria. It is some great motivation to keep on working so our guests leave the resort feeling joyful and renovated.

I heartily thank your sharing your experience with the rest of the travellers community. I am sure this first-hand information you provide will be greatly appreciated by them too. I would be much honored to welcome you back to your new home in sunny Cayo Santa Maria.

We will take all your tips to imporve and we hope for your next visit you will feel the difference.

Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

Looks lovely but been waiting 2 hours now with our family as reception will not accept the email we sent last week asking to change our dates by 24 hours. Be warned.
Ask to speak to a manager early on and stay at desk until sorted.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank Kate R
D_General2018, Gerente at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2018

Dear Kate R,

Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

Having visited this resort back in 2005 I’ve had a bee in my bonnet about returning so as a 30th Birthday treat for myself I saved up and booked to come to Cuba and stay here with my parents for the first 2 weeks in July. My memories of the resort were wonderful; beautiful gardens, excellent staff, comfortable rooms etc.

I knew that the resort would have deteriorated over the years and that a lot of effort has gone in to getting back up and running following last year’s hurricane but I wasn’t prepared for how bad things were. I saw the bad reviews prior to arriving but hoped with all my heart that they couldn’t be true. They are.

Upon arrival having just travelled over 5 hours in a taxi from Havana we weren’t greeted with a smile, a cold drink, a ‘welcome’ or anything at all, just 3 clueless girls behind the reception and a particularly cocky boy called Franklin whose attitude stunk. Very little English spoken by all. I have a basic knowledge of Spanish which it turns out we’d have struggled without. Franklin was more interested in flirting with his colleagues than checking us in and I would suggest that if he is to retain a role at this hotel he would be more suited to something not public facing.

Once checked in we were told that the buffet wasn’t open for dinner and that we were to eat in the a la carte restaurant. No explanation given and no time frame of how long this arrangement was going to be in place. As it turned out this was to be a permanent arrangement as I assume there aren’t enough guests at the hotel to warrant opening the buffet.

The rooms - oh my goodness. BAD. So bad I wanted to cry. Pieces of old rag stuck up at windows parading as curtains, threadbare towels, dirty bedding, dangerous electrical fittings, cheap and dirty furniture, inadequate air con; the list was endless.

We went back to Reception to see good old Franklin who could do nothing but roll his eyeballs at us. We looked at 2 or 3 other rooms and all were just as bad. Everything is dilapidated.

Thank goodness for the brilliant Customer Service Representative Lailyn. She calmed our frayed tempers and arranged for our travel rep to come and see us first thing the next morning when we were subsequently moved to another hotel. Thank you Lailyn.

We ate our dinner in the a la carte. The options were chicken or fish with ice cream for pudding. Fine for one night but if I’d have had to eat that every night for two weeks I don’t know what I’d have done.

The lobby bar was without 2 or 3 drink options we asked for. Can’t remember what they were though.

Breakfast was so bad. I think I have more breakfast options in my kitchen cupboard!! And what they had bothered to offer was not protected from flies or birds!! It was filthy. Thankfully there was a good omelette chef there who was also very friendly. But again, if I’d have had to eat omelette every day for 2 weeks I’d have been in bother!!

I would hate for anyone else to save up, look forward to coming here and be as upset as I was. If a total overhaul of this place is not an option then I think it should just be closed down.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
13  Thank Jessica N
D_General2018, Gerente at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2018

Dear Jessica N,