Tobermory Village Campground
Escarpment Heights Motel and Cottages(Tobermory)(Great Value!)
US$ 102
US$ 92
Official Site
Adventure the Bruce Inn(Tobermory)(Great Value!)
US$ 131
Grandview(Tobermory)
TripAdvisor
All reviewssplash padpetting zoopremium cabinpaddle boatscamp groundping pongoutdoor gympedal carscost moneynice familyexercise machinesbasketball courtoriented placestrict rulesgreat sitequiet hoursdogs barking
Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

We were unsure that there would be a spot considering the long weekend was ahead. However there seemed to be quite a few spots available. Quite camp ground with plenty of options for camp sites. Great for a one night stay.
Side note: the showers cost money and only accept loonies and quarters, i learned this the hard way at 5 AM!
Other wise i was pleased with the cleaning stations to do dishes and the friendly staff.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
TobermoryVillageCamp, Manager at Tobermory Village Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2017

Thank you for visiting and leaving such a kind review! We're glad you enjoyed your visit!

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

The facility was clean and well kept. Everything worked. Lots of things for children to do like a petting zoo with goats, pedal carts and paddle boats.

However there were blaring radios, screaming children, never ending chatter and noise. This is certainly not a place to come for rest and relaxation. It wasn't even a long weekend. The sites were very small and had no privacy.

Beware that in addition to $55.00/night campsite fees you will be paying extra for the coin operated showers.

Firewood was expensive ($10.00/bag) current year greenwood Harvest, wet, and some of it was rotten. If I didn't bring an axe and know how to make shavings, we would have had no fire. Many people around us tried unsuccessfully to make fire without any tools.

Sleep was next to impossible without either pills or ear plugs as it never settled down.

This is a great place and everything is in good order, just don't visit if you want quiet and alone time.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We're glad you found the park clean and with lots of amenities! We're sorry to hear that you weren't able to relax though. We work hard to provide a quiet and enjoyable facility and most of the less than 5 star reviews often complain that they couldn't be loud. We do have very private tenting sites but of course we're not sure which area you were in. We are mainly a family park so there will be lots of children around but even they do a fabulous job of being quiet at night. Thank you for visiting and we wish you an enjoyable fall!

Reviewed 23 August 2017

The campground is very nice and good location just outside the town. They have pretty strict controls on who comes and goes as well as strict times for quiet hours etc. The facilities are good to great and a lot of little extras. Some of our group were in cabins, some with big 5th wheels and some of us in smaller tent trailers/tents. The cabins were nice, tent sites good and 5th wheel sites good but small. Things were kept clean and lots of things for the kids to do with the playgrounds, ponds, go kart bikes and more.

As a family this is a great campground, as a group not quite as much. When 10:30 rolled around even talking by the fire was too much for this place.

Overall a solid 4 out of 5. As a family probably a 5 of 5, as a group or couple probably a 3 or 4.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
TobermoryVillageCamp, Manager at Tobermory Village Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2017

Thank you for your review! We're delighted that your group enjoyed their visit and the children had lots to do :)! Quiet hour begins at 11:00 PM and we don't have patrols out before then. If someone came to you at 10:30 PM then maybe it was another camper. But regardless, we're so glad you had a positive experience camping together and we hope to welcome you back again on your next visit to beautiful Tobermory!

Reviewed 21 August 2017

I am not a camper but my stay with my family in the premium cabin was great! We stayed from August 14 - 17th. From check in to check out, the staff were friendly and helpful.

We were at site #51, right behind the laundry facilities which also had ping pong and fuseball and bathroom (which we found very useful)! I am a clean fanatic and the facilities were all very well maintained, including the cabin. The beds are comfortable except the sofa pullout was uncomfortable and springy. Each night, one of us had to use the public shower which was only $1 for 8 minutes as there would not be enough hot water for all five of us.

This campground is not too far from everything. We went to Grotto, Singing Sands, Canada Parks Visitor lookout, Flower Pot Island. All a short drive away.

My teen boys and 11 year old daughter enjoyed the pedal bikes, paddle boats, swimming pool, playground and basketball court. Lots of stuff to do while my husband and I prepared the meals.

I would like to especially thank Joey for helping my boys with the campfire. Both nights, he came by to help us start the fire and even came back later on to make sure the fire was burning! Thank you JOEY!!

Overall, if I were to brave "glamping" again, I would definitely return here. We all had a great time.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind review! We are so glad you enjoyed your visit and your children had fun with all the amenities! We will tell Joey about your kind words :)! Enjoy the rest of this beautiful summer!

Reviewed 19 August 2017

I booked this campsite, primarily due to the premium cabins, pet friendly and kennel service- which I will all review separately.

Check in: Check in was a breeze. The operators were friendly, use of park pass with gated entrance for added security was also welcomed. The check in area included a general store- with most of your required amenities which is convenient. We decided to arrive a day earlier, and because Premium Cabins did not have a Monday check-in, we opted for a tent site (which included electricity and water).

Tent Site: When we arrived to our site. I felt nauseated. I realized that we have had a rainy summer. However, the site that was given to us was literally a mud pit. There was absolutely no way I was going to set up tent there. There was no grass and it was located under large trees (which meant no sun). This was site #46 or 48 (I believe). Luckily, my cousin who was also staying had an empty campsite next to their's and we asked if we could move next to it. This basic campsite was dry and lots of grass (#27). It was next to the south pond which was nice as you can watch the ducks go by and sometimes come on your site. However, it was next to Hwy #6, so you could hear the roar of cars day and night. Because I booked a campsite with electricity and water- I asked if I could get a refund as the site we were on did not have it. The operator said that I should have gone to #28- and that I was on the wrong site (this was the day after). I told her that no one came to our site to set up so she couldn't have booked it anyway. I even said in good faith, could I get a bag of ice (it was only a $6 difference but matter of principal being that it is a Christian campsite with bible verses everywhere)-- but she wouldn't budge. I found that disappointing. But nevertheless, our one day on a tent site was uneventful. The next day we moved to a Premium Cabin for 4 days.

Premium Cabin: Nice with a shower & toilet. Yes, as previous poster said, "bar" sized sink is next to microwave and fridge. My kids were told to wash their teeth outside. This too grossed me out. But you can't have everything so something has to compromise. I would rather have the sick for dishes and brush my teeth outside, but not everyone would do that, so hopefully the sick got sanitized prior to new people coming in. No A/C but it was cool and we didn't need it. The floors were laminate and the ceilings were high. The bunk beds and double beds were descent. The sofa bed when unfolded couldn't be used. It was too flimsy so my son had to sleep on the sofa-- which was long enough for his 6' frame-- but it was made of microfiber- so we can imagine the sweat and dirt on it. He slept in his sleeping bag.

Grounds: Grounds were great for kids- pond for frog hunting, pond for boating (they also have paddle boats, etc.). "outdoor gym" useful- with a bike and 2 rustic stair masters overlooking the pond. Pedal cars for rent. However, lots of pot holes as previous poster mentioned. Dust and mud everywhere. Also dirt just outside our cabins- would be great if it were mulched. Hard to keep inside cabins clean

Laundry service handy if you wanted to use it (we didn't). Club house with ping pong. Petting zoo..

Kennel: We booked this place because of their "Professional Kennels to meet your pets needs" (as stated on camp flyer). Much to my dismay, as the previous poster mentioned, the kennel is self-serve, UNLOCKED. Operator said that "she will check if he has water". The wire kennels are about 5x5 with a little house that is suitable for a 20lb or less dog. My dog is 95lbs!!! He was in the hot sun. There was a shade cover over the entire kennel but the way the sun shines, he was faced with 100% sun from noon on... When I picked him up, he was breathing heavily and very, very hot. I couldn't cancel out as we had a trip booked that didn't allow dogs (I found out later which tour operators do!). I felt so guilty leaving him behind. I mentioned that my dog is clever and can lift the hinge off the gate and she gave me a key that "didn't have a lock". I took a chance and left him but I know I shouldn't. DO NOT use the kennel-- anyone can take your dog. It is not monitored!!!!

Incidentally, there was also a "permanent RV" next to our cabin-- this mature kid-less couple clearly stays here the entire summer as the decks looked permanent, they had a satellite dish, etc. One night, my cousin and her family came over for dinner and my dog barked (he was good the entire trip) at the rattling behind the bush. She appeared from behind her RV and yelled out to us that "your dog was barking all day and there is a NO barking policy here!!"-- I told her that my dog was in the kennel all day and it couldn't have been him but she was very rude, distasteful and continued to remark at how unruly he was. This exchange of words left me in a terrible state that I didn't enjoy my stay for the rest of the week. If one is going to stay in a "family and pet friendly campground"-- expect families talking, dogs barking.. My dog was no different than any other person talking. Being that it was a music free campground, all you hear is voices and the occasional dog barking-- nothing excessive. It is a great campsite for that. However, my dog was not excessively barking and many commented on how perfect his demeanour was for a dog that "appears vicious". Many asked to pet him as well. So here is to that couple-- If you want peace and quiet then maybe you should take your "__ & __ Getaway" somewhere in the bush!

Overall: This place is good for families with little kids-- they will enjoy the amenities. But my kids are all older and we will not return.

Room Tip: Premium cabins are good. Ask for sites away from Hwy 6.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for taking such a long time for the detailed review! Overall we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay! Just a couple of things because we do remember your visit...we have had a lot of rain and some sites (especially those with trees) haven't always had much of a chance of drying out depending on when (in relation to the rain) you were here. Usually campers really enjoy the trees for privacy and shade and since most of the summer is dry and warm we value our trees! You weren't happy with site 46 and that is ok. You came to the office and asked us for site 28 which we gladly switched for you. Of course, we didn't go and check where exactly you pitched your tent but site 28 is what you wanted and site 28 does have electricity. Because the site has electricity, we cannot adjust the rate to reflect those of basic sites. As for the dog kennels, they certainly are professional and have a sun shade and dog house. My dog weighs over 100 lbs, has the same dog house, and fits into it fine. He loves it! You came into the office asking for a way to secure the latch and we gave you a device to slip into the latch so that no dog can open it. You make that attempt of trying to help you sound very negative here so we're sorry we tried to help. Again, it sounds like overall you enjoyed your trip and we're happy to hear that!