Review Highlights
A memorable walk into a vast and beautiful wilderness

I would recommend this walk to anyone who enjoys a pure wilderness experience and is prepared to... read more

Reviewed 13 September 2018
connollyrj20
Melbourne, Australia
Dusky Sound - A Large Sound With Much to See

Dusky Sound is an excellent sail. We cruised it as part of our Australia/ New Zealand cruise ship... read more

Reviewed 28 February 2018
TravelinMJ
Clemson, South Carolina

All reviews dusky sound cruise ship new zealand wire insulation sheer dolphins clouds track rain weather huts
Reviewed 27 January 2015

Dusky Sound Track: recommended 8-10 days but could be shorter, weather permitting and body willing. The full track is 90 kilometers long and there are basic huts which require a modest fee (if you can find them all).
I am not recommending this track, but if you want to challenge yourself and can endure adversity, isolation, hip deep mud, sheer ascents & descents, all 4 seasons in one day and pain, then you will love this adventure.
I accomplished this track in March 2010 solo, I was on the track 4 nights and managed 3 double hut days (i.e 2 legs in 1 day).
Starting with a silky smooth cruise by speedboat across Lake Hauroko (this was a definite highlight) with 10 other would-be trampers to Hauroko Hut, leaving my newly found fellow trampers to battle the sandflies I quickly distanced myself up the lush forest valley, the rainfall here is measured in metres subsequently the forest floor in places is a thick bright green carpet of moss that undulates over every obstacle - not unlike a Peter Pan Story.
Through the trees the rocky snow sprinkled mountains tower on each side of the valley, over swing bridges and beyond the next hut (Half Way Hut) I encounter another arduous bog, jumping from tree root to tree root to avoid being completely engulfed in mud (I am having fun - not) Since it was an 11am start at the lake, the day is quickly disappearing so I press on with haste as I ascend the 1st climb, eventually I arrive at Lake Roe Hut on the alpine plateau, covered in tussock and springy/spongy water logged moss, quick steps are required to continue the momentum as I bounce along. The weather has been very kind, 8pm the sky is full blue, no clouds and a setting sun. I raced up the boardwalk near the hut with my camera to a vista of barren mountain tops and row after row of valleys heading West and South. This has to be the top of the world. In hindsight I should have stayed in the Lake Roe Hut for 3 nights as the terrain in all directions begged to be explored, another regret - I was alone, no one to share this awe inspiring arena, I can still feel the euphoria of fist punching the air.
Day 2 blue sky, across the top of the plateau, along ridges, around tarns, camera shutter doing overtime. I could see the next hut at Loch Maree at the bottom of a distant valley, far far below me. Nothing like a 4hr descent of 3 point climbing, my knees were shattered. Finally I arrived at Loch Maree Hut for a quick refuel, then onto the track again heading for Supper Cove Hut (Dusky Sound) this section follows the river to the sea and floods regularly and rapidly, I traversed around one 20m cliff face on the wire ropes and ladders provided only to find flood debris at the top of the cliff - very comforting. Again I put myself under time constraints to get to the hut before dark, but the weather didn't help as showers and fog swept in from the coast. After 30hrs completely alone with absolutely no contact with the outside world (awesome too) I stumbled upon a couple of trampers who had been lost for the previous 24hrs. I put them on the right track and they headed back to Loch Maree. By the time I arrived at Supper Cove Hut it was heavy rain and very dark. The hut is perched right on Dusky Sound and no doubt is very picturesque, but all I saw was gloom, plus it was freezing cold.
Day 3 I was up early again and mobile I needed to get back to Loch Maree Hut before the threat of flooding blocked my path, which it didn't thankfully. I was early at Loch Maree Hut, so had plenty of time to get the fire going, dry out, eat and a quick nap before others arrived from Lake Roe Hut.
Day 4 Still raining, onto the track early heading for Kintail Hut, more swamp but the mud didn't cling so bad with all the rain. Stopped at Kintail Hut briefly to refuel, only to discover the previously lost couple were now very ill from their night lost in a swamp. Just beyond Kintail Hut a massive landslide the size of a mountain had swept down a valley some months earlier, which had to be negotiated before the sheer climb up and over Centre Pass, after the main climb the weather cleared and allowed some brief views up and down the valleys in all directions. The track down off Centre Pass to Upper Spey Hut took a few hours, arriving l ate afternoon, it was getting cold very quickly with rain setting in. All the wood for the fire was wet, so the hut remained like a fridge all night.
Day 5 I had a boat to catch 12 km away at the West Arm of Lake Manapouri, so I was up early and in good spirits. I stepped outside the hut all geared up to face a white wonderland, sleet, fog and rain, just beyond the hut heading down the valley straight into the swamp - nice.
By the time I got to the Lake even though I had been pushing the pace hard I was frozen to the bone, saturated, covered in mud and not very amused when I was asked to change into clean gear before entering the boat shed.
If you are considering this journey - good luck, it is the harshest combined set of elements I have faced to date, it is a slog. The Lake Roe area is breathtaking as are many parts of this track, but the achievement and satisfaction of the challenge overwhelms the adverse terrain and elements.

16  Thank Ian G