“not a good place anymore”
Review of Hotel Shelter

Hotel Shelter
Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Gwalior
New Delhi, India
“not a good place anymore”
Reviewed 13 February 2011

I stayed in Shelter hotel a couple of times before, but never wrote a review about it. This time I booked rooms by email and never got any reply. Knowing that Gwalior's hotels are never really full I did not bother. I confirmed my booking in the morning of arrival day and was granted a good discount and good rooms on the phone. When I actually turned up, the reception did not have an booking for me. Never mind as the rooms were anyway still available. I checked them before checking and they were ok. The surprise came when the reception informed me about the price...They quoted me exactly double from what they did on the phone that same morning !!! I recalled them our conversation but that man started shouting on me and beeing very rude, saying I had no proof of what I was saying. They dont take anybody without a proper voucher, they never got my email...blablabla....I gave up and went in another hotel. Shelter will never see me again !

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank senvatenguerre
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Mumbai, India
Reviewed 22 November 2010

1. Asked for dinner- told to eat dinner at some stranger's wedding party- the cooks are too busy.
2. Constant noise of children running up and down - the elevators gave way and got faulty.
3. A guest made noise and got violent and abused dirtily, with the manager and they just stood smiling.
4. I asked for food and got something else because they don't know how to cook it , when i called- madam wedding party going on.
5. I'm a woman traveller- if I order room service- the waiters/stewards(whatever) place their food on the table and linger and stare at my chest- on of them tried to elbow me in my chest.
6. The hotel promised me a laptop but refused to let me use it because they were afraid of the data stored in it (anyone heard of password protected file?)- overcommitting to my company and grossly under-delivering.
7. No toilet paper, no towels and no water to drink - the cable comes and goes. the AC does not come back on after electricity failure.
8. the conference room has blue LED lights and was a buffet room smelling of bad cabbage.
9. the drunk and violent guest is still here and getting increasing violent every minute. so am bailing out now.
10. Stay at your own risk.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank greymattersimplified

Travellers are raving about these Gwalior hotels

jaipur
Reviewed 21 September 2010

if its just a need of shelter then this can be a good place.

location provides u a convinience of being near to railway station.

rooms are comfortable enought and room service is good.

hygiene is maintained and food is just ok if you are alone. but with a group and family you may like to explore nearby resturants.

staff is gentle and courteous and welcome was warm.

overall an average experience. g

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank madhulsinghal
London
Reviewed 27 March 2009

For the past 3 years I have visited Qwalior to see the historical fort and the
Sikh Temple in the fort grounds with different friends. This year I went with my partner and my daughter (also an adult) and on all previous occassions I stayed at the Hotel Shelter because of it location and good service and of courseof its reasonable price.
Therefore we choose the hotel for one nights stay arriving from Orchaa , and using Qwalior as a stopover for our return journey to Delhi. We stayed at the Hotel shelter on Monday 16th March 2009.

The Hotel is well located and with some rooms have a view of the fort ( 2nd biggest in India). Hotel looks fairly new from the outside and it si located on fairly busy road and therefore noise from the traffic can be heard in the rooms until late night and it recommences again in early money. Therefore try to get a room back of the building as it will be have less noise.
The Reception person did not appear very helpful and showed us 3 different rooms all not in a very good state. The first room on 3rd floor was massive but the beds were hard us nails with matteress very thin and virtually none existent. The bathroom floor & mirror had various blue colours partially cleaned ! It was later we realised that blue colour followed us when we walked into the main bedroom area. It was then we logged on that
the previous room occupiers/clients had played ' holi' festival of spraying colours on each other. Holi was celebrated on 10/03/2009 in India this year, We asked for change of room because colour/dye from the bathroom was be being spread into other partsof the room when walking.
We were allocated another room on the 2nd floor and this was no better. We accepted.it
The hot water was not fully available and we asked room service to give sufficient number of pillows. towels, toilet paper for three persons. The whole process took over an hour , Therefore service given was very slow and poor. The staff were lazy and not competent. The beds were hard and free company of mosquitoes was provided!

The Restaurant was average and it provided traditional veg and non vege food,
The staff were helpful and assiststet us about type of dishes and their contents.
The place was clean and we were only customers for Dinner and which meant that people were eating in their rooms or eating elsewhere. Overall eating experience was
postive.
However breakfast (included in tarriff) was a different story. There was little choice. and
limited variety of food was available. The usual stuff,,

The hotel has a underground car parking and it is useful to have this facility for your taxi/drivers.
Overall this place has gone down hill in every aspect eg cleaness,services,rooms/bed mattress are very poor and one thing which cost nothing which is service provided by its staff is was total lacking . The service was slow and of poor quality.
I will not be staying or recommending this hotel to friends or colleagues and I hope the Hotel Shelter improves it is service and bedroom facilities because it has a great location. The Hotel has gone from good to bad in my opinion and If i go to Gwailior again I will be looking at another Hotel !!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple