“A great find”

Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Gwalior
Melbourne, Australia
“A great find”
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I did not plan to stay at this hotel, but was very happy I did. The story goes as follows - i was walking past this hotel and the manager asked me to come in and check out a room, I said yes, intersted in looking at the prices, but thinking I wouldn't stay as the hotel looked pretty run down and more like a building site from the outside. Anyhow, as I reached the 3rd floor the hotel still looked like a building site, we entered the room and I was pleasantly surprised. Modern furniture, 25 inch flat screen t.v, with English speaking channels, a large shower head, clean bathroom. Overall a very good room. I managed to bargain the manager down to half the price of what he wanted for the room. The customer service was excellent. Some times a bit too good, e.g. calling my room at 6am and asking if I wanted tea. The resturant was pretty good also. Over all a very good stay.

Room Tip: Ignore the outside go in and check out the rooms
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Orwellwasright
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Pune
Reviewed 9 June 2012

To be honest the hotel provides good value for money if u r travelling alone on work or just need to stay for a short trip. The internet is decent, cleanliness is above average, staff courtesy and behaviour is average (Hey But we r talking of GWALIOR here, so what did u expect), Restaurant offers decent food that i would rate above average again (Although the menu could have a wider choice but i hardly have any complaints), the restaurant staff make up in service for whatever is lacking in the food.. However i wouldnt rate it as an ideal family hotel... Not for any other reason but lack of cleanliness, lack of entertainment facilities (except the TV in the room).... Hope it helps u to make your decision..

Room Tip: Choice of Road View or No View... :) Doesn matter much actually..
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Sachin_103
Kanpur, India
Reviewed 13 December 2011

The place was near the station and hence very convinient. The room was very cheap and for the price very comfortable with 24 hrs of hot water and a tv. Though the cable on the TV was not very clear. The staff was indifferent to my complaint of this and the food was also bad

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank rhtagwl
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I booked this hotel online. When I got there they showed me a room with no window, a filthy bathroom with broken fixtures, lousy beds with dirty sheets, and dingy walls. I told them I wouldn't sleep in the room if it was free, much less the Rs2300 I'd already paid on travelguru. They apologized said the problem was that the hotel was undergoing renovations, which it clearly was. To their credit they arranged a room for me at the same price in another, much nicer hotel with which they are affiliated. (Hence the two stars rather than one.)

Because my guidebook recommended their restaurant I went back in the evening to eat there, but it was entirely booked for a wedding party. That seems common.

Maybe it will be nicer when the renovations are completed. Who knows?

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank irprof

Travellers are raving about these Gwalior hotels

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 13 February 2011

I stayed in Shelter hotel a couple of times before, but never wrote a review about it. This time I booked rooms by email and never got any reply. Knowing that Gwalior's hotels are never really full I did not bother. I confirmed my booking in the morning of arrival day and was granted a good discount and good rooms on the phone. When I actually turned up, the reception did not have an booking for me. Never mind as the rooms were anyway still available. I checked them before checking and they were ok. The surprise came when the reception informed me about the price...They quoted me exactly double from what they did on the phone that same morning !!! I recalled them our conversation but that man started shouting on me and beeing very rude, saying I had no proof of what I was saying. They dont take anybody without a proper voucher, they never got my email...blablabla....I gave up and went in another hotel. Shelter will never see me again !

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends