All reviewscamping sitenarrow roadwalk in showerfeel welcomespacampersbalconyinternetguests
Reviewed 28 September 2014

First lets get this out of the way Switzerland is expensive. this is no exception.
NOW it was worth it The prices were what they are in that area. The food was outstanding well prepared delicious and more then you could eat, breakfast was the same. The staff went out of there way to make sure everything was perfect and to your liking.
we had a room in the older building on he top floor I saw some of the other rooms and for my money we had the best in the house. the views are what picture postcards are made of. Ye in the back there was a campground but it never impacted our stay or the great time we had while we were there
If your are planning on staying in the area then this places if one you should consider checking out

Room Tip: ask for the top floor in the old building great room , view and outside sitting area
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I really enjoyed my two night stay here recently. My room was very comfortable and quiet. I disagree with the earlier reviewer who said this place has no Swiss charm: there are two sections to this hotel, an older, traditional Swiss section (which I stayed in), and the newer more modern section of rooms. So you have your choice, it's up to you. The breakfast room is also quite traditional looking. My room was floor to ceiling wood and spacious enough, not tiny like many European hotel rooms. I liked having the minibar, as well as a skylight in the bathroom.

Breakfast was included and the spread of choices was very good. Plenty of protein choices with cheese, meats, and yogurts, as well as numerous choices of breads and rolls and some fruit and cereal. We also ate dinner at the restaurant two nights, in another room with floor to ceiling windows. The food was great and the service was very friendly. I would come back.

Besides the hotel, there are also campgrounds for RV-type campers, and a nice playground area for children. The place is out of town a couple miles up a narrow, winding road into the foothills of the Alps. Although I never asked or expected anyone to speak English, a couple of staff members did when they heard me speaking it with my friends.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I went to dinner at this hotel with Swiss friends. It is hidden away in the alps in Appenzell, and aside from housing a beautiful patios restaurant, a hotel, spa, swimming pool, formal dining room it has a camp ground.

Dinner was good Food presented very well and tasted great. It was undercover for the patio when it drizzled but nothing serious. Beautiful views of green, green Switzerland. My Swiss friends dine here often. My very good friend designed the work stations in the restuarant. Beautifully designed I might add.

A good place for families. This is a quiet location and would be great for hiking.

Room Tip: Only saw photos of the room, but looked spacious and comfortable. Dining is great.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We camped here for two nights so that we could visit nearby Appenzell and Ebanalp.

The campsite is essentially an open field on a hillside next to the hotel/restaurant. There are a handful of levelled plots for caravans but campers just select an available open space to pitch tents or park motorhomes. There are no marked out plots.

The hillside location offers views over the surrounding meadows. Probably not the best location to be in a tent when thunderstorms roll in (which they did both nights that we were there).

There are some power boxes dotted around the site, so electrical hookups can be run to tents.

There is no shop on site, but beers can be bought from the restaurant bar. Bathrooms are located on the ground floor of the hotel building. Dishwashing sinks and washing machines are at the rear of the building.

The owner is also the restaurant chef, so the reception office is not open during meal times. There is wifi available on the site.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We expected a small, family run Swiss chalet. It's not. Somewhere in the past year or so, it appears that a four story, modern hotel was added on the backside of the chalet and that's not visible in the website photos. Nothing is mentioned about the 150+ permanent mobile home/cabins surrounding the hotel nor the RV parking and tent camping site on the hillside below. So if you're looking for Swiss-chalet atmosphere, you're in the wrong place.
However, if you want comfort and an incredible view, this might suit you fine given some other pros and cons. The rooms are beautiful, large, and modern with a walk-in shower, robes, desk and the best balcony of our 5-week trip. You also have use of the indoor pool on the bottom floor and some of the pricier rooms have spa privileges. The area with the bed and the sink/shower area wrapped around the balcony so that you had floor to ceiling/wall-to-wall windows off the balcony and lots of fresh air plus privacy from the sets of sheer and light-blocking drapes. There is an elevator off the back entrance to the hotel which is convenient. Parking for guests is at the back of the hotel also.
There is a huge terrace with food and drink service, covered in some parts which helped during a few rain showers. The breakfast buffet was very adequate but we did not eat in the dining room because we felt the prices were more than we wanted to pay.
A few more of the negatives: no one spoke English. The chef came out of the kitchen when we arrived at 2 pm, pointed to his watch and held up three fingers. We sat on the terrace and had a salad until 3 pm when he guided us to our room and handed us the key and a couple of pamphlets. That was our total contact with anyone. No friendly family in sight. There was no information in the room in any language regarding the hours for breakfast, tv channels, or the fact that we could use the pool - or even where the pool was.
The hotel is high on a hillside outside of Appenzell with a 2 kilometer one-lane road off the main road to get up to it. This is the reason I rated the location as a 3. It was tiresome going up and down the road hoping that you would not meet another car around the next bend and have to find a widening somewhere to pass each other. If you like running back to the hotel for a quick nap or to freshen up between sightseeing points, you'll think twice.
On the other hand, if you love to hike, you're already in the midst of some trails and can start right out from the hotel. If you have kids, the childrens' playground will delight them. If you love to sit and enjoy the view, this would be perfect.
One tip: If you stay anywhere in Appenzell, you will receive an Appenzeller card good for free gondola rides on three peaks plus a free luge ride at one of the gondolas and more. This was a great perk.
Overall, although we loved the room for its views and spaciousness, the inconvenience of coming and going would deter us from using it again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple