“Beautiful but a tad pretentious”

Santa Marina - A Luxury Collection Resort
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Ornos
Reviewed 13 October 2017

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Greece where we stayed in Elounda, Crete, Athens, and Mykonos. Of the 3 places we stayed, unfortunately I'd have to say the Santa Marina was our least favorite.

The hotels, landscapes, pool, etc are beautiful and it was VERY convenient to have the complimentary pick up from the ferry, but I thought that the staff were not as friendly as others we engaged on our trip and I would say, somewhat pretentious. I get it, it's a luxury resort, but I didn't feel as welcome when we arrived and throughout our stay.

The room was a Deluxe Seaview and we were told we had been upgraded, but not really. It's the same room type we booked, so unless the location was in a somewhat better place, I don't know what about it was upgraded. The room was rather small, even for only 2 people. The bathroom was roomy, but interestingly enough, there's a clear glass door separating the toilet from the sink area and I couldn't figure out why there was a door if you could see all the way through it!

Unfortunately for us, we were in Mykonos during a cold front and it was extremely windy so we didn't get a chance to enjoy the pools or water. I was really looking forward to that, so I was definitely disappointed with the weather. (not the hotel's fault though!) We did get a chance to take advantage of the cabana seats on the little pier and that was very handy because they blocked a lot of the wind. I would have loved to be there on a sunny day! Staff periodically came by to take drink/food orders, but they never stopped by our seat to offer. My husband had to go seek them out at the bar to get a menu. A staff member came back with him and brought a menu. Once the server waited on us, he was attentive.

We were provided complimentary breakfast and it was excellent. There was a lot of variety, hot and cold, offered. The wait staff were very attentive and offered coffee, water, and juice. Of the 3 places we stayed, I thought the breakfast at Santa Marina was the best. We didn't eat at the other restaurants during our stay.

Overall, I would possibly return to the Santa Marina. I was just disappointed with the lack of a welcoming environment. I think all guests should be treated equally, regardless of whether you're in a room, suite, or private villa.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

I can’t say enough to express how beautiful the hotel is, how clean and how wonderful the service was ! It had been so very long since we were all able to go away together and I searched meticulously for a really pampering resort. My choice was wonderful. The hotel staff in ALL of the hotel( front desk, dining room, pool, private beach etc ) did everything with the warmest of Greek hospitality mixed with the highest level of efficiency !!! We thoroughly enjoyed the graciousness and generosity of the hotel staff. Thank you for the upgrade ❤️ A special thanks to Anna Maria from the Ginko spa. We hope to return. Karma Feinstein Cohen

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank KarmaFeinstein
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

Wow, what a great way to start our holiday. Superb room with a view over the facility and ocean. Staff were very friendly and helpful. A great spot within walking distance of Ornos Beach and other restaurants.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

My husband and I just stayed here for 4 nights - could have stayed longer for sure - everything was fabulous - room/service/amenities/spa/food - zero complaints - Buddha Bar was great food was delicious - I think we came at a perfect time - not sure I could or would want to fight the crowds in July and August - next year we will go mid September as I think the weather will be better - was getting chilly

Highly recommend this resort

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2017

The view from the restaurant is impressive with a nice decor, great views of the beach and all the super yatchs anchored along the sea front.
I had fish which was superbly cooked with a nice spicey sauce and simple potates in a large dish, really tasty food.
Great place for a romantic dinner.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ornos
1.5 km away
1 km away
Palladium Boutique Hotel
Palladium Boutique Hotel
#1 of 26 in Platys Gialos

Been to Santa Marina - A Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK