My husband and I just returned from a trip to Greece where we stayed in Elounda, Crete, Athens, and Mykonos. Of the 3 places we stayed, unfortunately I'd have to say the Santa Marina was our least favorite.
The hotels, landscapes, pool, etc are beautiful and it was VERY convenient to have the complimentary pick up from the ferry, but I thought that the staff were not as friendly as others we engaged on our trip and I would say, somewhat pretentious. I get it, it's a luxury resort, but I didn't feel as welcome when we arrived and throughout our stay.
The room was a Deluxe Seaview and we were told we had been upgraded, but not really. It's the same room type we booked, so unless the location was in a somewhat better place, I don't know what about it was upgraded. The room was rather small, even for only 2 people. The bathroom was roomy, but interestingly enough, there's a clear glass door separating the toilet from the sink area and I couldn't figure out why there was a door if you could see all the way through it!
Unfortunately for us, we were in Mykonos during a cold front and it was extremely windy so we didn't get a chance to enjoy the pools or water. I was really looking forward to that, so I was definitely disappointed with the weather. (not the hotel's fault though!) We did get a chance to take advantage of the cabana seats on the little pier and that was very handy because they blocked a lot of the wind. I would have loved to be there on a sunny day! Staff periodically came by to take drink/food orders, but they never stopped by our seat to offer. My husband had to go seek them out at the bar to get a menu. A staff member came back with him and brought a menu. Once the server waited on us, he was attentive.
We were provided complimentary breakfast and it was excellent. There was a lot of variety, hot and cold, offered. The wait staff were very attentive and offered coffee, water, and juice. Of the 3 places we stayed, I thought the breakfast at Santa Marina was the best. We didn't eat at the other restaurants during our stay.
Overall, I would possibly return to the Santa Marina. I was just disappointed with the lack of a welcoming environment. I think all guests should be treated equally, regardless of whether you're in a room, suite, or private villa.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Santa Marina is an uber-luxe retreat for explorers and collectors of the world’s island idyll experiences. Set overlooking the exquisite and iconic Ornos Bay, Santa Marina crucially commands the only private beach on Mykonos, making its transparent turquoise waters and white silk sands a genuine sanctuary from the public eye. Rooms and suites all have beautifully refurbished designer interiors and panoramic sea views from their individual balconies. Our private villas were built to take maximum advantage of the spectacular sea views, while affording the utmost privacy to guests. Throughout the property, traditional, sugar-cube Mykonian architecture is woven through sparkling private pools, terraces and lush gardens. Santa Marina Mykonos houses the worlds first, Buddha-Bar Beach Restaurant as well as a fully renovated pool restaurant. Be pampered with the finest Spa treatments in the new GInkgo Spa, relax on our private beach or refresh with a dip in the breathtaking Oasis Pool. Guests also can look forward to a completely redesigned concept for all rooms, suites and suites with private pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Prestigia, HotelQuickly and Expedia so you can book your Santa Marina - A Luxury Collection Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Santa Marina Resort & Villas Hotel Ornos
- Santa Marina Resort And Villas
- Santa Marina Hotel
- Santa Marina - A Luxury Collection Resort Mykonos/Ornos