All reviews day trip snapper boat ride ascension bay yellow dog caught bonefish spotting fish cloud cover side note playa del carmen rod felipe jacks spin assistant school permit
Reviewed 22 February 2016

My wife and I went fishing in February 2016. We booked a day trip and had a great time! The reserve you fish in is miles and miles of wildlife! Saltwater crocks, birds, endless schools of fish. It's like pictures out of the fly fishing magazines... very beautiful area.

Our transport arrived at 5:30 AM, we picked up 6 additional passengers. It was a long morning of driving in the dark in Mexico... It's just the way it is though, so prepare yourself for a stop and go, bumpy ride to the dock. We were dropped off at a small dock where we met our boat transports to the lodge. The boat ride to the lodge is about 1 hour. Watching the sunrise while speeding across miles of flats in the bay was an incredible way to start the day. So beautiful there. It was much better than the bumpy, stop and go traffic of Tulum.

We met our guides and enjoyed a quick small breakfast. We didn't bring any fishing gear so the lodge provided a VERY NICE fly rod/reel setup. My wife used spinning gear. The fly shop isn't really a fly shop, there is very little clothing (if you forgot your long sleeves or something). So please come prepared to be out fishing. Long sleeves, buffs, hats, glasses, SPF 30+. Don't forget it! If you do (like I did) you'll be sorry. Fortunately we were able to borrow a long sleeved shirt from a guy staying at the lodge a few days (Thanks Lem! you saved us). He really saved me from the wind and sun burn.

There was wind and the water was cloudy on our day. We caught a variety of fish, but it was blind casting into "likely" fish holding places... not really sight fishing. But that didn't bother me. The wildlife in the bay is really incredible.

Another thing to prepare yourself for is the amount of time you'll spend motoring around the bay. It is so huge you'll spend 20 and 30 minute periods of time motoring to the next spot to find fish holding water. Don't go on a day trip expecting to fish intensely for hours at a time... if you want hours of intense fishing then book a multi day trip (grinding away for hours isn't my cup of tea anyway).

To maximize the fun, do what the guides say and how they say to do it. Our guide had 20 years of experience on the bay and knew the exact rhythm to strip and set the hook. He was very helpful and didn't mind saying "bad cast, do it again!" Which helped me catch more fish.

The transport back was the same in the morning (except in reverse). 1 hour speeding through the bay to a dock, then bumpy stop and go traffic back to our resort. We got back at 6:30 PM in time to clean up and have dinner.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2016

Everything was enjoyable, our hard working guides were Henry and Gustavo. Meals and gear were included, the equipment was in great condition. Transportation was comfy, and the bonefishing was excellent.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Ethan S
Reviewed 8 December 2015

Just returned from Mexico where we arranged a days fishing with Pesca Maya. I have fished with this company on a couple of occasions three years ago with great success so I decided to give them another go whilst on a family holiday in Akumal. We checked out their website for the latest day trip itineraries and costs. My friend and I arranged the trip on the phone via the main office for 30th November and despite a few minor communication issues (mainly due my inability to speak a word of Spanish) booked the trip for saltwater flyfishing for bonefish and if possible permit at $590. We asked about the weather and the tides and were informed the conditions where good for that day. They pick up at the hotel and provide transport down to their lodge at Punta Allen. The receptionist who took the booking did no know the exact pick up time but suggested between 05.00 to 05.30 but she would confirm via a message at our hotel reception linked to our room number. No message was received by the hotel so we bit the bullet and sat in our hotel reception from 05.00. Pesca Maya transport arrived at 06.15. The transport was great big and comfortable. We headed off to Punta Allen. The road past Tulum seems to be getting worse so I was relieved that we picked up a boat transfer to bypass worst bit of the road. We had to wait a further 35 minutes at the boat dock for another party who were going snorkeling on the flats. The boat trip to the lodge was great, in fact quite an adventure. On arrival we were introduced to our guides and paid for our fishing licence for the day. As it turned out we were charged for a weekly licence at $240 pesos each even though it clearly indicated one day on the licence. The guides assisted with setting up the rods and we had a light breakfast. We eventually got onto the boat to start the days fishing at just before 10.00. In the boat taxi down we noticed the water to be very colored and milky but as we had the whole of assension bay to go at were not concerned at this point that we could find some clear water. This was not the case and the guides struggled to find the clear water essential for saltwater fly fishing for bonefish and permit. They could not find a suitable flat to wade and site fish and in the ended motoring from one mangrove edge to another where there was a white sandy area with the best possible chance of spotting a fish or two. We spent a lot of time blind casting into the murk of known bonefish holding areas with minimal success. The guide who spoke very good English explained that the flats had been milky and cloudy for weeks following strong winds and stormy weather. The guides did their best with the conditions and we did see and catch a few fish in the mangrove edges. The itinerary on their website indicates 8 hours fishing so to our surprise at 15.00 we stopped fishing and motored back to the lodge arriving at 15.25. Now this didn't equate to anything like 8 hours fishing actually only being 5.5 hours. The guides explained that this was their normal finishing time and we needed to get back for the motor transport. At over $100 per hour this is expensive fishing. My main irritation with all of this is that this is a company that specialize in saltwater fishing. They should have known that the water conditions were not suitable for bonefishing and as such should have advised to delay the trip and wait for better conditions. Instead they took the booking knowing full well the poor water clarity and likelyhood of success. Coupled with this when there are no flats wading/stalking opportunities, the fishing from the boat is shared reducing the individual fishing time completely. Blind casting into murky holes is not what you pay $590 for. I would have had a lot more respect for Pesca Maya if the had turned round and said unfortunately the conditions on the flats are not conducive to good bonefishing. Very poor customer focus and service. Some good points but on a fishing trip it is the fishing that counts. Had everything gone well we would have booked another trip later in the week. As it stands I will not use this company again or recommend to others. Poor effort, very disappointed, This trip was to be the highlight of our holiday. Dave and Steve.

Stayed: November 2015
9  Thank Dave S
FishingAscensionBay, Gerente at Pesca Maya Fishing Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2016

Hello guys:
I am sorry about the bad weather. You spoke with my wife over the phone, sorry on the confusion on the pick up time, Akumal is always 6:15 AM, I am glad that the driver got there on time.
Waiting for the couple that got to the dock was annoying, I understand but on the other hand it is difficult to leave them at the dock with out any tolerance.
I spoke with your guide and he said the you caught 5 bonefish and two permits and he says he thought you were done with those fish.
Going back before time is unacceptable, please let me know where can we refund the hours that you miss. We are working hard o avoid this problem.
I hope you will give us another chance to take you fishing.

Reviewed 14 November 2015

We spent a week in Akmumal and the person at our resort's excursion desk arranged for us to spend a dat of birding through the mangroves of Si'an Ka'an along with snorkeling near the reef in Asuncion Bay. The Pesca Maya Fishing Lodge handled the early morning pick up from our resort (a one hour dive to the spot where we took the boat to he lodge - another hour). We were served a tasty breakfast before heading out for a tour through the mangroves where we saw many birds. We then went out into the bay and had an opportunity to snorkel. The surf was a little rough and less experienced snorkels would have had a difficult tile. I did see a large nurse shark trolling align the reef. We were the only "tourists) we saw that day, which amazed me. Following our short snorkel we were take. To a "natural swimming pool" nearby. It was truely beautiful. The bottom was soft sand and the water was about 3 feet deep and the view if the bay and reef was spectacular. Following our outing, we returned to the lodge for a tasty late lunch and a restful time on the shaded deck overlooking the bay and the Caribbean. We then returned to our resort the same way we had followed in the morning. This was, in my opinion, the highlight of out week-long stay in Akumal. The Si'an Ka'an Biosphere is a must see experience if you're in the Tulum area.
Thank you Pedro!

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
FishingAscensionBay, Propietario at Pesca Maya Fishing Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2016

Thank you very much for your business and your nice comments. We try hard to make a great experience.

Reviewed 18 August 2015

My husband booked a day trip in August (the lodge's off-season) and I stayed behind to hang out at the lodge. We were both pleased. The lodge cooked me lunch even though I was the only one there when the fishing guides and tourists left (I felt bad, but I was hungry). They made me feel very at home.

My husband caught 35 bonefish that day. He said the guides were very knowledgeable and helpful. He was more than pleased with the experience. I felt very relaxed at the lodge and was happy to read a book and snorkel. It was like having my own private beach.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple