Sol Caribe(Punta Allen)(Great Value!)
US$ 190
US$ 186
  • Beachfront
The Ascension Bay Bed and Breakfast(Punta Allen)(Great Value!)
US$ 95
Fisherman Lodge(Punta Allen)
Agoda.com
Casa Pascale(Punta Allen)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Posada La Conchita(Punta Allen)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsday tripsnapperboat rideperchascension bayyellow dogcaught bonefishside noteplaya del carmenrodfelipejacksbarracudaspincastingassistantschool
Reviewed 17 April 2015

In connection with a spring break trip to Playa del Carmen, I booked a day trip to Pesca Maya for me and my teenage kids. I had been to Pesca Maya the year before for a multiday fly fishing trip and wanted to share the experience with them. The van picked us up on time in PDC and we stopped several more times for other day trippers. Breakfast and our guide Isa were waiting for us at the lodge.

I explained to Isa that my only objective was for the kids to have fun. He understood and asked if it would be ok to catch some bait on the way to fish. After a very fun boat ride across Ascension Bay, we pulled up to a small mangrove island. The guide and his assistant Jose disappeared into the mangroves, coming back in about 10 minutes with a load of hermit crabs. From there, we tried a couple of spots where the kids were able to blind cast jigs for bonefish, snapper and perch. The action was non-stop. I was even able to participate with my fly rod. After lunch, we had a school of permit popped up. The assistant quickly got me my permit rod and I hooked up instasntly. Unfortunately, it was to a snapper. My son cast a jig with the same result. Late in the day, I asked about doing some sight fishing since I had worn the kids out. Even with only 20 minutes left in the day, I got several more hook ups.

We had a great time. My kids caught a lot of fish, and the guides worked very hard to make sure the experience was enjoyable. My only suggestion would be to have a cooler with drinks for the long van ride back. I am looking forward to returning again for a longer stay.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank CarolinaCappy
Reviewed 7 April 2015

My husband and I recently spent a week at Pesca Maya and fished 6 days. We have nothing but great remarks for the lodge and guides. We chose this location because of the reputation for catching large numbers of fish. We were not disappointed. Since it had been over 7 years since we last went bone fishing, we wanted some easy success. Unlike other places we have fished, we spent almost all of our time fishing from the boat into schools of fish. We did wade one afternoon and still caught large numbers of bone fish.
We told our guide at the beginning of our trip that we were not interested in catching anything but bone fish, which made his guiding a bit easier. Along with our fly rods we brought along a spinning rod rigged for barracuda and sharks. Unlike other places we have been, we only saw one large barracuda during our trip and no sharks. That was a little disappointing, but certainly not the guides fault.
Our guide spoke English and was very easy to communicate with. I especially enjoyed the information he provided about the birds and the local area. We also had an assistant guide (in training) with us who was very helpful, patient and attentive to our needs. We felt that if we had wanted to try fishing for other species they certainly would have listened to our requests. I did feel that by the last day of fishing the guide was more attentive to my husband catching fish than me. Since I have a shorter casting range, he didn’t work very hard at getting me within my striking zone, which gave my husband most of the opportunities to cast and left me frustrated. But, the other 5 days we were pretty even in our fishing opportunities.
Getting to the lodge requires some effort, but since we were there for 7 days it was well worth it for us. We were met at the Cancun airport and driven by van for about 2 hours. The van was new, clean and had good air conditioning. Plus there was a cooler with water and beer. After the van ride, we went by fishing boat for about 45 minutes to the lodge. The boat ride is on the lagoon side of the narrow peninsula so it was a comfortable journey. Since it does require such a long trip to reach the lodge, you need to plan your arrival time into Cancun before 2pm or plan to spend the night in town and leave the next morning. With that being said, we were surprised at how many day fisherman come to the lodge and I can understand some of the poor ratings that a day fisherman might have about limited fishing time. I would advise staying at the lodge at least 2 days.
The lodge is made up of three buildings. They all face the ocean and have million dollar views. Two building have guest rooms and the middle building is the dinning/lounging area. Our room was very spacious with a large bathroom and shower. Most importantly, there was plenty of hot water and air conditioning. We also had a nice outside sitting area with lounge chairs, hammocks and a spectacular view of the ocean. The grounds of the lodge were well maintained, but the beach not so much. Although not the fault of the lodge, there was an unusual seaweed bloom happening all up and down the coast which resulted in thick piles of seaweed on the beach and sea weed floating in the water. What was the fault of the lodge is the amount of garbage on the beach.
The food at Pesca Maya was very good. Breakfast and dinner are home-style, meaning unless you ask before the meal you get what ever the chef has made for that meal. Boxed lunches where provided for lunch. We enjoyed all our meals and we were especially impressed with the food presentation. The chef clearly takes great pride in his meals. Wine is also served with dinner. After a long day out on the water, we looked forward to the freshly made margaritas and appetizers that were served before dinner (beer, mixed drinks and soda where also available).This was a great time to socialize with the other guests and tell fish tales.
I would highly recommend Pesca Maya as a fishing destination, but do not expect Cancun luxury. What you do get is a quality lodge in a prime fishing destination, with good food and staff members that are attentive and willing to respond to requests and concerns.

Room Tip: first floor rooms
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pritter
FishingAscensionBay, Propietario at Pesca Maya Fishing Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2016

Thank you very much for your comments. It means a lot to us, our mission is to make our guests have a great experience.

Reviewed 22 March 2015

I went for a day trip fishing and brought my wife along to see some wildlife and enjoy the views while I fished. We are both Canadian and I fish a lot in lakes and rivers.

We were picked up from our resort and dropped off the same day. The shuttle stopped at several resorts and was full heading in (12? people) We took a boat shuttle to avoid the rough road I had read about in the other reviews. The boat shuttle was roughly an hour. The bus shuttle picked us up 1/2 hour late and by the time we arrived, ate our breakfast (included which was nice), and talked to our guides, we didn't get on the water until 9am. Because we had to catch the boat shuttle home, our boat left around 3:30pm which meant we had to get back to the lodge for 3pm and really only fished for 6 hours.

I had brought my own spin casting rod, but knew little of the hooks and bait to bring, so I bought a few hooks from the lodge for $5. The license was another $15 and my wife's entrance fee was $5. We had 2 guides for the 2 of us, and I was the only one fishing. We started by fishing for bone fish, and within a hour had caught 5 small bones. We then moved on to try and catch a small shark. We fished for roughly 2 hours for sharks. We seen a good 4 foot nurse shark that I had the opportunity to cast a few times at, but it wasn't interested. I doubt I would have been able to land such a large shark (probably 60lbs) with my small 7ft spinning rod, but I would have tried.

We then had lunch, which was a ham and cheese sandwich and some cookies. The guides also provided water and a few beers. We ate in the shade of a mangrove while the guides caught some small bait fish to use later.

After lunch we tried fishing for some larger barracudas. I ended up losing 3. One tangled in the branched and the line broke. The other 2 broke the line when I set the hook. I was using braided 20lb line with a 10" steel leader. I would suggest if fishing for such fish, to bring a longer steel leader. The last hour the guides tried some trolling, which was where I lost the last barracuda. It seemed like they had given up on me so they wasted time by trolling around.

We did get to see lots of cool birds, some different fish from the boat, and some beautiful areas. I felt that we moved from areas too often which meant a lot of boating around and less fishing. I was expecting to catch more then 5 fish, but I suppose I lost 3 more. It was basically 6 hours of traveling (to and from the lodge) to fish for 6 hours. I don't think the experience was worth the $600 usd. I doubt I will go back.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank kylebuhler
Reviewed 20 March 2015 via mobile

I went for a one day fishing trip and felt it was not worth the money. I have fished with many guides before but never had one that gave you the feeling of not caring if you caught fish or not. Phillipe's first mate let the fly line go under the boat or stepped on it while I was casting therefore I missed some good shots at fish and then Phillipe told me my cast was too short. I caught (1) 12" Baraccuda in the morning and that's it. For the afternoon I got to blind cast into bonefish schools (mud clouds) with little success. Definitely not worth the $590 for a day trip. I suppose you get better guides and more attention if you are a guest. Wish I had skipped the guide trip and waded for bones back at the resort. Interesting enough I went snorkeling the next day at dreams puerto aventuras and saw more permit and bones than I idid in ascension bay.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank Jay P
Reviewed 9 January 2015 via mobile

This fishing lodge has a special place in my heart for a number of reasons. Although getting to the lodge requires driving about an hour down a not-so-great gravel road, the fishing experience you will enjoy is much worth the drive. The location is secluded and absolutely beautiful. You're sure to catch the fish of your life at this lodge!

Stayed: March 2014