“End of the road BLISS:)”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Serenidad Shardon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Punta Allen
Serenidad Shardon
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Punta Allen
San Pedro
“End of the road BLISS:)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Just spent 6 epic days with Niki and her staff at Serenidad Shardon. From the moment I arrived I was one of the family. If you need anything in Punta Allen Niki will have the solution. I spent all my nights in a tent with the cool Mexican breeze putting me to sleep. It doesn't get better than that. If you're looking for peace and quiet at the end of the road...look no further! Very excited to return this summer and have a cerveza with my new friends.

Room Tip: Niki has tent spaces, small cabanas and 2 furnished houses, one of which is on the beach.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank TresPescados
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

After driving through the tangle of eco hotel cabanas south of Tulum, we ventured into the Sian Ka'an Reserve.  We were told at the gate that the road was very bad. I found serenidad Shardon on the internet and called ahead to see if they had room for us.  An American voice answered the phone.  We explained that we were looking for camping cabanas and she said, "Come on out, I'll set you up with something".  Her matter of fact tone and directness in addressing our questions was so reassuring, even my husband agreed to go. We carefully negotiated potholes and speed bumps for an hour and a half on the dirt road walled by jungle on either side which occasionally opened up to reveal exquisite vistas of the carribean on our left and the lagoon on our right.  We heard that the road has sometimes taken 3 or more hours to drive in poor conditions.
Serenidad was easy to find in the tiny village and we were greeted upon our arrival by Nikki.  She showed us a lovely spot to hang our hammocks or pitch a tent right on the beach between the palms.  We opted for one of her large tents outfitted with a comfortabe double bed, pillows and sheets and hung our hammocks outside.  Nikki always worked with us to accomedate our needs, we only had to ask.  She supplied us with a battery operated fan and mosquito netting for over the bed.  She is an active and supportive part of the community here.  She knows the guides, the restraunts and the coolest beach spots.  We went to one she suggested and spent all day at the beach, snorkeling, reading and drawing mostly alone on the beach!
  I visited Tulum in 1985 when there were hardly any tourists and the beaches were pristine bands of white protruding from the wild jungle.  I remember seeing monkees and colored birds in the trees.  I camped in a palapa on a deserted beach for 10 dollars a day and dinner was 5 dollars, a choice of freshly caught lobster of fish.  No electricity or entertainments.  Paradise.
I came here this March to see if I could find it, but as you know, you can never go back. Everything is different now.  The beached south of Tulum are lined with "Eco" boutique hotels which have spoiled and polluted the area and left no space for solitude.
Staying with Nikki at Serenidad gave me a taste of that paradise.
With the advent of plastic throw aways, the third world countries surrounding the carribean are a mess with the things piling up on beaches as the currets take them.  We saw a lot of this here.  Nikki keeps her beach spotless.  We can only have compassion for the poor here who cannot afford to dispose of all of this trash that does not burn or degrade naturally. This is a price we must pay for the convenience of throw aways.  It should not be paid by the third world or blamed on them.

Room Tip: Nikki is extremely flexible and an astute buisinesswoman as well. She can host singles, couples, fa...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 1ElenaMaria
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Serenidad Shardon is located in remote Punta Allen. As its owner likes to say, Punta Allen is where people go when they want to get off the beaten track and away from everything. The town itself is a ~35km, 1.5-4 hour drive from Tulum (depending on the roads). There are no gas stations in Punta Allen, so it is wise to fill up before you leave Tulum. Similarly, no one accepts credit cards in Punta Allen (and there are no ATMs) so bring sufficient cash for all your needs. The town generator provides electricity 8 hours a day: from 11-2 and 6-11 pm. There are several small shops that have groceries (at decent prices, despite how far you are from a large supermarket) and a number of casual restaurants that serve very good local fare.

Punta Allen is a home of a sort for the Central American lobster fishing industry. They export their flash-frozen lobsters to Japan, and the fishermen haul their catch in each day at the dock. I believe the season is July 1st through February 28th (though I'm not 100% sure). If you're visiting in season, you can buy fresh lobster, either to cook (from the local collective adjacent to the police station) or at a restaurant. Expect the lobster to run ~350pesos/kg to cook or around 300 pesos for a serving at a local restaurant. They are delicious, but you will find them different in taste from lobster you might get in the U.S. or Canada (for one thing, the lobsters here have no claws).

Serenidad Shardon is just south of the village. To reach it, drive down the main road through Punta Allen until it ends at a basketball court. Hang a left and then an immediate right at the police station. Drive down an additional 1/10 mile until this road as well dead-ends in a t-intersection. Turn left there onto a sand road, and follow it slowly around to the right for about 100 feet. And you're there! Once in your room, you'll notice a laminated map which has useful instructions for reaching Serenidad Shardon (lamentably these are not included on the website).

The view from the rooms that are beachside is phenomenal, and there are wonderful little sitting areas with chairs, loungers, and hammocks scattered around the property.

Though the Si'an Kaan Biosphere Reserve is a wonderful place to go, I wouldn't choose to stay in Serenidad Shardon again. Even in January, there are tons of mosquitos in the area. It was virtually impossible to sit outside once the sun started going down due to the mosquitos - even after we'd applied the toxic DEET that we brought with us to our skin and clothes, we ended up with mosquito bites all over. Our lodgings were cute and attractive, but it was impossible to keep the mosquitos out. There were large holes in the mosquito screens near the ceiling in several rooms, and the mosquito nettings draping the beds also had holes in them. I was able to mend them using my sewing kit, but we had to sleep under them in order to avoid being eaten alive. With no fans in the sleeping areas, and the mosquito nets blocking the breezes, we found sleep difficult even in the middle of the winter. I was profoundly grateful that we weren't visiting in the summer. The bathrooms are clean but pretty dismal with a light trickle of water in the shower. I wouldn't have wanted to go in without my shower sandals on, and had to wait about a minute to get enough water on my head to rinse the shampoo out. If we hadn't prepaid, we would have left the day after we arrived.

The kitchen areas were amply supplied and the perked coffee was quite decent. The rooms were cleaned every day by the efficient local staff (which was helpful, they cleaned away the cockroach bodies that we found). The beds and sheets were clean and the rooms were decorated simply but in a fun way. Access to the ultra-slow wireless satellite internet is provided at a nominal fee and is available during the hours when the electricity is on.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank BlueBear92
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

in this 500 people village, Nikki's Hotel is the place to go. It has this welcoming feeling of your own house. We chose to rent a tent and cook in the backyard open air kitchen, and it was just sweet. Woke up in the morning with feet in the sand, walked up to Nikki's special coffe bar, chat with everybody or nobody, planned our day and then do it. It is THE place to go if you want to relax and take it easy. A few restaurants in the village, no cash machines...so bring cash with you. go to the cooperativa de pescadores to buy Langosta or fish.

Don't be shy to ask around in the village, people are just so helpfull.

peace
J

Room Tip: bring your tent or rent a tent ! it's soooo nicely setup !
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

I stumbled into Punta Allen after a car rental gone bad scuttled my vacation plans. All I wanted was a friendly and quiet place where I could relax, and i fund everything I was searching for at Serenidad Shardon. Nikki and her staff made me feel like I was one of the locals. In the course of my week I was invited to help teach English in the town kindergarten, learned how to hand fish in the lagoon, and spent an afternoon watching the lobster fishermen clean a big catch (they invited me in for a late lobster lunch and it was the best damn lobster I've ever had). This is one of those rare places that you grow to love and want to keep all to yourself. If you visit, plan to stay a while (I recommend staying at least a week). Trust me, you won't want to leave.

• Stayed January 2012
0.0 km away
Kanxuk Luxury Resort
Kanxuk Luxury Resort
#1 of 3 in Punta Allen

Been to Serenidad Shardon? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK