4,325 results
All reviews main bar fish snack bar pasta two weeks cubanito bar beach restaurant a la carte great holiday toasties beautiful beach churros buffet restaurant sales manager entertainment staff the thomas cook rep new friends
Reviewed 21 January 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a little tired but this to me just added character! Our room was functional and clean. the maids work very hard as does everyone here. The shower was always hot and the water pressure was good. We used a jungle formula plug in from the moment we arrived and did not see 1 bug of any discription, neither did we get bit in the room.

Speaking of bugs we had a few sand fly bites and 3 mosquito bites to whole fortnight!! Yes they itch but if you go prepared with anti hestemine tablets and creams you will survive its a tini price to pay to visit paradise ;)

The beach is stunning and the pictures don't do it justice. Plenty of beds always available and there are little food and drink shacks along the beach side of the resort. The beach is cleaned every morning and the ranchon restaurant is a beautiful place for lunch.

The pool area is spacious with plenty of beds, and the staff will get extra ones out if you can't find any.

This is such a comfortable easy layed out resort that we had no reasons to try to glue our 10 year old to our hip.

The food is good here and anyone that says its repetitive is being honest BECAUSE they have everything EVERYDAY!!!
IT'S UP TO YOU TO CHOOSE YOUR COMBINATION!!
Use the buffet as your kitchen, don't complain there are no sandwiches in the buffet, every ingredient is there ready and prepared for you to plate up and make your own!! And the staff will do anything for you!

We used the cubatour guy in the lobby for the dolphin tour cost of 74peso for me and daughter, great experience and spent longer with the dolphins than those that paid double to do tricks with them!!

Also the horse riding was great, if you've ridden before its great. For those who haven't try to use correct posture or will suffer with saddle sores as many did.

All the staff are warm and welcoming but to top it off they were all brilliant with our 10 year old girl. The people really do make this place and all the visitors pick up on this and socialise well with each other too.

Yes they run out of minor items, straws, ketchup and mojito mint. But honestly SO WHAT who needs that anyways!
The service is 5* nothing is to much to ask and after specifying for instance "tea with cold milk please" it was offered that way EVERYTIME!!! I've been to many so called 5* and yes they were shiney and new but the service was no where near close to the amazing service you get here.

Would we go back?? generally the answer would be no as we have so much more of the world to see!!!
HOWEVER this is one place we can't wait to return to ;)

19  Thank Beautifullycrazy
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Dear customer,

Thank you very much for all your nice comments and for recommending our hotel to other tripadvisor readers.

I am also glad to read that you had an enjoyable holiday and that you would definitely return to our hotel.

If that´s the case please do not hesitate to contact us in order to take personal care of your reservation and make sure you will receive all the ad values that as returning guest you are entitle to.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

Transat .on time and very professional.
Arrival at resort was a blow out..Eight couples First ones in front of us were not given their keys.
We were not given the room we requested,even though we had our email sent out two weeks prior.
Given no keys , no safe key ,no towel key and a door that was wooden and blasted by the wind and sand would not open to our room (1128)beware there are many bitng fllies out that end(lagoon) Friends we met were further away then us and she had to get a shot and special creme as the welled up on her skin.I am still waking up to new ones everyday.Another woman was totally covered,except for her face.
We were given another room ,right next to the entertainment,lots of noise most of the time but made the best of it.

Found the pool a little small compared to the other hotels on this stretch.
Beach is still as gorgeous and clean as ever.Make the effort to go to the shell beach to the left of the resort.
Hubbie did catch some fish off the end of the rocks close to the shell beach.
Donut guy is still there and very busy
We found the food to be fresh and delic.
Wierd on night before leaving one of our dinners.the waiter asked us if we would like to enjoy a lobster dinner for twenty dollars,agreed we go in the next eve.they are grilling beautiful lobster for free so of course we think he has made a mistake and really enjoyed our free lobster,just about to leave and he brings out this lobster dinner not near as good as ours and says we have to pay twenty..Why would he offer this on the same night it is free> Just a little heads up; needless to say we had one bite and then left .I heard one man speaking french to him in a loud voice and then a f bombs...I guess he must of been on the list:) We felt they need it so we left it anyways.(money)

Service was a ten.
Coffee also a ten
Drinks and beer a ten.
Buggy guy is still doing weddings.
Enjoyed a ride with him to the causway and did some fishing,miss the locals fishing there now)not allowed????
p.s. one waiter behind the beach restaurant gets a little upset if you don't leave tips,kinda of crusty...Love the chef just outside there.
Great weather most days lots of wind..Go Enjoy

Room Tip: Away from the lagoons.805 is right beside the entertainment.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robax
Reviewed 21 January 2013

My boyfriend and I have just returned back from a 1 week stay. The complex is picturesque to say the least and provided a magical atmosphere for a wonderful holiday. There is so much to do while your there but at the same time you'd never feel guilty just sitting on the beach and staring at the mesmerizing turquoise shades of the sea.

The view from most areas of the complex was amazing. We found we'd been upgraded on arrival to a sea view room with king-size bed, our balcony over looked the white sandy beach which was sprinkled with palm trees and the crystal clear waters of the ocean. The grounds of the hotel are well maintained always clean, inc toilets and the communal areas.

The food was always varied in the main buffet restaurant which had your usual buffet and then 3 additional stations with chefs to prepare you fresh fish/meat while you waited. One night we waited whilst one of the chefs bbq'd us fresh lobster for no extra charge. For lunch i'd recommend the restaurant on the beach as it has the best views and there was often fresh meat on a BBQ alongside the restaurant if you wanted to stay on the beach.

The service was great, 99% of the staff would do anything to help you and the night time entertainment whilst a little cheesey was fun to watch (although I don't think my boyfriend agreed when I made him watch the Disney dancing medley). Then if you want to stay up later their night club opens around 11pm till 2am which is just a short walk away so can't be heard from the complex but is included in the all inclusive deal.

The only problem I encountered was the sand flies on the beach, I never usually get bit so didn't have and mosquito repellent, which wasn't great when the wind died as I got bitten loads but you could never see the flies.

I'd recommend the excursions through Thomas Cook, we went on the 'Caribbean Cruise' on the Catamaran and then the speedboats another day which were both fantastic. Both trips you can go snorkeling and that had to be a highlight for me as the variety and colour of all the different species of fish we saw was unreal! Cuban tours in the hotel also offer excursions and some are a bit cheaper so i'd look at both, they tend to be the same thing anyway!

If I had one issue with the hotel if would be that there are a lot of Canadians who appeared to have only one musical request everywhere they went, Celine Dion, not a fan myself haha!

Over all it was a fantastic hotel and I'd recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Jade_Frederick

Dear Jade,
Thank you very much for your comments, we sincerely consider them very useful for our job. We have found a lot of opportunities for improvements. Every client´s comments is very important for us and that is why we thank you once again. It is nice to know that you had an overall lovely relaxing holiday. Hope to meet you here next time.

Reviewed 21 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed from 4th Jan until 18th Jan. weather was perfect, it rained on the last day but we didn't mind because we were going home!

Food was great, very wide selection & if you use your imagination in the buffet restaurant then you can find something to cater everyone's needs. Unfortunately we didn't use the a la carte restaurants. Beach bar & BBQ are also highly recommended.

We took part on 2 trips throughout. Firstly we went to the spa. This place is definitely recommended. We opted for the most expensive package at 55 CUC which included a Cleopatra bath, a back massage & use of the various different pools. The setting is breathtaking & extremely relaxing!

Secondly we took a day trip to Havana. We had researched into this quite a bit before going to Cuba. We were quite disappointed when Thomas Cook only offered Havana by bus. This meant 6 hours on a bus to get there, 2night stay, tour & 6 hours on a bus back for 329 CUC. The thought of travelling that length of time put us off so we booked through another company. We got a flight to Havana in the morning, a guided tour of the city, lunch & a flight back to Cayo Coco the same night for 185 CUC. It was a lot more suitable for us & thoroughly enjoyable.

The beach is beautiful & all the seaweed gets cleaned from it every morning. It's very peaceful & you don't get disturbed. The pictures don't do it justice.

The pool was also great, much busier than the beach so for a good spot you had to make an early start.

We stayed in room 915. Very spacious, ground floor with 2 double beds. Never had any problems. Only criticism I would give is that the bathroom needs a lick of paint.

Entertainment throughout the day was good even though I didn't take part but the staff did not hassle you. At night I found the entertainment got a bit boring as it was mostly dancing every night.

There are 2 small souvenir shops in the hotel but we got ours cheaper in Havana.

Special thank you to Maria in the buffet restaurant, she is very good at her job, so kind & should be made a full time member of staff all year round! Also to Yubee (not sure if spelling is correct) very nice lady with a big heart. She is pregnant & works very hard!

Overall our holiday was very relaxing & a perfect break at just the right time of year! Would definitely go back!

10  Thank geestee

Dear client:
Thank you for your excellent comments on this page about your stay in our hotel. We will consider all your opinions in order to develop the satisfaction of our clients. It is always a pleasure to know your opinions about our hotel in order to improve our services. We will transmit your comments to our staff and I am sure we all will be very happy to welcome you back in the near future.
Regards,

Reviewed 20 January 2013

We have just got back from a 2 week stay at the hotel. To be honest I was not best pleased on our arrival to our room 1221. The air con had flooded the room and wet the bed. I flushed the toilet and it leaked water. There was a bad damp smell and there was alot of little flies every where. I just knew I could not settle in that room and asked to be changed. as soon as we reported it there was a man sent to sort the air con and clean up the room. As one of the beds where wet we could not use it and for that night we had to share a bed. Next day we was moved to room 609 which was a much better room and I started to settle. If I had not of been moved then I could not of stayed there.
But on the plus side. Well what a fab place to chill and relax. The beach was beautiful. White sand and clear water.picture don't do it justice. Its amust see. They are racked every day to remove sea weed which may be washed up on shore. Yes there are sand flies and yes I feel like I was being eaten alive but this is not the fault of the hostel and the staff try hard to help and advise you on how to protect yourself.
Is it clean. Yes it's very clean there is not one minuet of the day where u won't see at least 2-3 cleaners cleaning. Yes people are lazy and leave there rubbish around at times but if the staff see it then they will pick it up. Rooms are cleaned daily and if you want clean sheets and towels every day then they will do that for you. But please think of all the washing that has to be done. Request when nessersary.
Food. Well I never had a problem finding some thing to eat. There is a varied selection and staff will do there utter best to cook you what u want so just ask. Yes there was the odd times when there was no bread. But there was bread sticks for you to slice up. Both cooks/chefs waiters would go out there way to try and make you happy. We was treated with a friendly smile every time.
Entertainment. There are activities though out the day so why not join in and have fun. We took place in a few activities and manged to get 21 certificates between us. Staff are amazing. So friendly, cheerful and willing to help. It is hard to name every one but to me a big thank you to ailex, jainel,Carlos, riki, Rey, alcides, Julio, Miguel,yuri,Roberto, yamilia and airiel and any one else I may have forgot thank you all for making our holiday one of the best. I would love to come back again soon. Thank you once again wendy and carl x

7  Thank Carlwendy

Dear customer,
We are pleased to know that you and your family hae had a wonderful experience while at Sol Cayo Guillermo, mostly because Ailex, Jainel,Carlos, Riki, Rey, Alcides, Julio, Miguel,Yuri,Roberto, Yamilia and Airiel. I will make sure they receive a copy of your comments, it is always appreciate to receive nice words of encouragment for our staff.
We hope that you can visit us again next year for another great vacation. Please do not hesitate in contact us if you need any assistance.
Thank you on behalf of all our staff and Management.
Best regards,