4,343 results
All reviews main bar fish snack bar pasta two weeks beach restaurant a la carte great holiday toasties beautiful beach churros buffet restaurant sales manager entertainment staff the thomas cook rep new friends kite surfers
Reviewed 21 January 2013

My boyfriend and I have just returned back from a 1 week stay. The complex is picturesque to say the least and provided a magical atmosphere for a wonderful holiday. There is so much to do while your there but at the same time you'd never feel guilty just sitting on the beach and staring at the mesmerizing turquoise shades of the sea.

The view from most areas of the complex was amazing. We found we'd been upgraded on arrival to a sea view room with king-size bed, our balcony over looked the white sandy beach which was sprinkled with palm trees and the crystal clear waters of the ocean. The grounds of the hotel are well maintained always clean, inc toilets and the communal areas.

The food was always varied in the main buffet restaurant which had your usual buffet and then 3 additional stations with chefs to prepare you fresh fish/meat while you waited. One night we waited whilst one of the chefs bbq'd us fresh lobster for no extra charge. For lunch i'd recommend the restaurant on the beach as it has the best views and there was often fresh meat on a BBQ alongside the restaurant if you wanted to stay on the beach.

The service was great, 99% of the staff would do anything to help you and the night time entertainment whilst a little cheesey was fun to watch (although I don't think my boyfriend agreed when I made him watch the Disney dancing medley). Then if you want to stay up later their night club opens around 11pm till 2am which is just a short walk away so can't be heard from the complex but is included in the all inclusive deal.

The only problem I encountered was the sand flies on the beach, I never usually get bit so didn't have and mosquito repellent, which wasn't great when the wind died as I got bitten loads but you could never see the flies.

I'd recommend the excursions through Thomas Cook, we went on the 'Caribbean Cruise' on the Catamaran and then the speedboats another day which were both fantastic. Both trips you can go snorkeling and that had to be a highlight for me as the variety and colour of all the different species of fish we saw was unreal! Cuban tours in the hotel also offer excursions and some are a bit cheaper so i'd look at both, they tend to be the same thing anyway!

If I had one issue with the hotel if would be that there are a lot of Canadians who appeared to have only one musical request everywhere they went, Celine Dion, not a fan myself haha!

Over all it was a fantastic hotel and I'd recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Jade_Frederick
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Dear Jade,
Thank you very much for your comments, we sincerely consider them very useful for our job. We have found a lot of opportunities for improvements. Every client´s comments is very important for us and that is why we thank you once again. It is nice to know that you had an overall lovely relaxing holiday. Hope to meet you here next time.

Reviewed 21 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed from 4th Jan until 18th Jan. weather was perfect, it rained on the last day but we didn't mind because we were going home!

Food was great, very wide selection & if you use your imagination in the buffet restaurant then you can find something to cater everyone's needs. Unfortunately we didn't use the a la carte restaurants. Beach bar & BBQ are also highly recommended.

We took part on 2 trips throughout. Firstly we went to the spa. This place is definitely recommended. We opted for the most expensive package at 55 CUC which included a Cleopatra bath, a back massage & use of the various different pools. The setting is breathtaking & extremely relaxing!

Secondly we took a day trip to Havana. We had researched into this quite a bit before going to Cuba. We were quite disappointed when Thomas Cook only offered Havana by bus. This meant 6 hours on a bus to get there, 2night stay, tour & 6 hours on a bus back for 329 CUC. The thought of travelling that length of time put us off so we booked through another company. We got a flight to Havana in the morning, a guided tour of the city, lunch & a flight back to Cayo Coco the same night for 185 CUC. It was a lot more suitable for us & thoroughly enjoyable.

The beach is beautiful & all the seaweed gets cleaned from it every morning. It's very peaceful & you don't get disturbed. The pictures don't do it justice.

The pool was also great, much busier than the beach so for a good spot you had to make an early start.

We stayed in room 915. Very spacious, ground floor with 2 double beds. Never had any problems. Only criticism I would give is that the bathroom needs a lick of paint.

Entertainment throughout the day was good even though I didn't take part but the staff did not hassle you. At night I found the entertainment got a bit boring as it was mostly dancing every night.

There are 2 small souvenir shops in the hotel but we got ours cheaper in Havana.

Special thank you to Maria in the buffet restaurant, she is very good at her job, so kind & should be made a full time member of staff all year round! Also to Yubee (not sure if spelling is correct) very nice lady with a big heart. She is pregnant & works very hard!

Overall our holiday was very relaxing & a perfect break at just the right time of year! Would definitely go back!

• Stayed: January 2013
10  Thank geestee

Dear client:
Thank you for your excellent comments on this page about your stay in our hotel. We will consider all your opinions in order to develop the satisfaction of our clients. It is always a pleasure to know your opinions about our hotel in order to improve our services. We will transmit your comments to our staff and I am sure we all will be very happy to welcome you back in the near future.
Regards,

Reviewed 20 January 2013

We have just got back from a 2 week stay at the hotel. To be honest I was not best pleased on our arrival to our room 1221. The air con had flooded the room and wet the bed. I flushed the toilet and it leaked water. There was a bad damp smell and there was alot of little flies every where. I just knew I could not settle in that room and asked to be changed. as soon as we reported it there was a man sent to sort the air con and clean up the room. As one of the beds where wet we could not use it and for that night we had to share a bed. Next day we was moved to room 609 which was a much better room and I started to settle. If I had not of been moved then I could not of stayed there.
But on the plus side. Well what a fab place to chill and relax. The beach was beautiful. White sand and clear water.picture don't do it justice. Its amust see. They are racked every day to remove sea weed which may be washed up on shore. Yes there are sand flies and yes I feel like I was being eaten alive but this is not the fault of the hostel and the staff try hard to help and advise you on how to protect yourself.
Is it clean. Yes it's very clean there is not one minuet of the day where u won't see at least 2-3 cleaners cleaning. Yes people are lazy and leave there rubbish around at times but if the staff see it then they will pick it up. Rooms are cleaned daily and if you want clean sheets and towels every day then they will do that for you. But please think of all the washing that has to be done. Request when nessersary.
Food. Well I never had a problem finding some thing to eat. There is a varied selection and staff will do there utter best to cook you what u want so just ask. Yes there was the odd times when there was no bread. But there was bread sticks for you to slice up. Both cooks/chefs waiters would go out there way to try and make you happy. We was treated with a friendly smile every time.
Entertainment. There are activities though out the day so why not join in and have fun. We took place in a few activities and manged to get 21 certificates between us. Staff are amazing. So friendly, cheerful and willing to help. It is hard to name every one but to me a big thank you to ailex, jainel,Carlos, riki, Rey, alcides, Julio, Miguel,yuri,Roberto, yamilia and airiel and any one else I may have forgot thank you all for making our holiday one of the best. I would love to come back again soon. Thank you once again wendy and carl x

• Stayed: January 2013
7  Thank Carlwendy

Dear customer,
We are pleased to know that you and your family hae had a wonderful experience while at Sol Cayo Guillermo, mostly because Ailex, Jainel,Carlos, Riki, Rey, Alcides, Julio, Miguel,Yuri,Roberto, Yamilia and Airiel. I will make sure they receive a copy of your comments, it is always appreciate to receive nice words of encouragment for our staff.
We hope that you can visit us again next year for another great vacation. Please do not hesitate in contact us if you need any assistance.
Thank you on behalf of all our staff and Management.
Best regards,

Reviewed 18 January 2013

i returned on 28th dec 2012 to this hotel for the first time in 3 years for the new year (1st time for new yr ) it was a brilliant holiday there have been some changes i e manger louis putting his stamp on it (well done to you ). Now where to start, ok Airport it was quick through customs and once outside we were greeted by hector the thomas cook rep he did remember us from three year ago ( good or bad mm ) all in all it was 45min from reaching airport to hotel once at hotel we were met by the entertainment staff with a welcome drink fruit punch , check in was very quick and we were told that our cases would be dropped at our room by the bell boys thanks for that. Once in our room (417 ) it was clean cool and comfortable which is what i remember about the place. we did ask to be moved to other side of hotel due to fond memories and they did no questions asked (920)
Bar area you still have the plastic glasses throughout the day but hey you are around pool area Joni my wife says makes the best bananna dakries most of the bar staff are good and very friendly a big hello to lesy and yamillia ( would you like a swim ) on a night time in main bar you now use of glass and noy plastic did run out late on but hotel was full also more table and chairs from three year ago there is now a snack bar at bar area unlike three yr ago good change also a doughnut shack on a night time aroundpool area .
Food now i myself am very picky where food is as i dont eat veg rice salad curries spices etc etc but i fond that there was more than enough for me to eat everything cooked the way you like like from the raw meat area in buffet if you need it burnt or rare it came that way a big thanks to yuri the chef in main food area he is a brilliant man full of fun and he looked after me well the waiting staff are fantastic our fav was roberto he also remembered us as we found out when he walk straight past then saw us came straight over cuddle for wife and handshake for me welcoming back a thought for people who moan about the food or lack of choice you are in cuba where they have very little but do there best .
Entertainment
The staff who entertain you day and night do work long hard hours so try to help by joining when you can they put a good dance act on , on a night time also some show where you the audience join in do join as its your hol and you are ther to have fun there is rifle shooting pool volley ball archery and more . the staff put a good show on in the pool on the 30th of dec pics to follow new years eve was brilliant and when the food hall was finished they let the staff come join ue celebrate the new yr with the guests .
The beach is the best bit on the island i did walk from hotel to marina via the beach and im afraid that if i was in some of the other hotels i would'nt be happy the one closest to the marina is terrible sea full of rocks no or very little sand and is a building site so the beach at sol cayo guillermo is the best yes it has some seaweed now but that is cleared very day a bit windy this time of year but its a nice breeze .
The Manager
Louis he was at our welcome meeting to welcome us to hotel and to introduce some of his main staff nice touch he is always walking about trying to improve what he can all day everyday except sunday , ( day off ) we were sat in the buffet on new yrs day when louis came in and started to clear tables and wash them down nice touch (wouldnt happen at home ) he is a frendly man doing his best and has made some changes from 3yr ago for the better so well done
All in all this was a brilliant holiday and a good hotel and i will be returning againto this lovely hotel and its staff

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I travelled to Cayo Coco (Sol Guillermo) solo, Nov. 25-Dec.9 2012.
I ahve to say I had a awesome time..
I have travelled to Cuba may times before, but this resort tops them all.
First week met a group of people from Hamilton Ont..had a lot of fun with all the ladies and one guy..(Larry).lol
Second week hung out with all my brit friends...They are very nice people...
Resort itself is small but I like a smaller resort, I think you get to meet more people.
The best part is the BEACH..awesome awesome...I walked everyday for 2 weeks, nice long walks.
Food. Well I think this resort had the best food in Cuba...Lots of choices..I'm nit a picky eater, but there is something for everyone..
The staff are really awsesome too. I think that is waht made my holiday....
I stayed in block 800 2nd floor...it was great close to everything....
Entertainment staff was also great never saw a show twice.
Being a solo traveller I would recommend this resort to everyone, there is also something to do.
I will definalty be back.
Next time I go I want to bring my Friends and their kids..
I know we will have a blast.

Hope this helps if you are considering booking this resort..
I give it 2 thumbs up...LOL

See you all in April.

Room Tip: Balcony 800 building
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo