Sol Cayo Guillermo
Melia Cayo Guillermo(Cayo Guillermo)
US$ 184
US$ 154
US$ 143
iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Perla Blanca(Cayo Santa Maria)
US$ 280
US$ 181
  • Breakfast included
Sol Cayo Coco(Cayo Coco)(Great Value!)
US$ 164
  • Breakfast included
Golden Tulip Aguas Claras(Cayo Santa Maria)(Great Value!)
US$ 105
galahotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Melia Cayo Coco(Cayo Coco)
US$ 249
  • Pool
Hotel Break Point(Cayo Guillermo)
4,254 results
All reviewsmain barfishsnack barpastacubanito bartwo weeksbeach restauranta la cartegreat holidaytoastiesbeautiful beachsand fliessales managerchurrosbuffet restaurantthe thomas cook repentertainment staff
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Just returned last night from a week stay at the Sol Cayo Guillermo with my family. Our primary reason for choosing this location and time of year was to go Kiteboarding and we were not disappointed. The conditions were fantastic, both my wife and I kite, as do my two young sons. At times when the boys choose not to kite, they would hang out with their new buddies shooting pool, playing ping-pong or simply chill by the pool.

Room: We were set up up in room 1118, very well situated close to the beach for easy access to kite. Furthermore, this is quite far from all the central facilities, so it is quite quiet.

Food: The buffet was pretty good, but by all means take advantage of the two à-la-carte restaurants, especially Don Guillermo along with the BBQ stand next to the beach.

Entertainment: I loved the shows; the entertainers are so talented! One fellow named Pino is a blast!

Staff: I cannot express enough gratitude towards the staff at this location, from the reception desk, to chambermaid, service all the way to the gardeners. Everybody went out of their way to be kind with the standard Hola! Prior to leaving, we went to the dollar store and bought close to $100 worth of stuff to hand out; mainly toys for boys and girls along with gloves and band aids for the gardener. I preferred to hand these out instead of pesos. In turn, the gardener would create these morning origami palm leaves structures for the boys.

Activities: Since we were there to kite, that is pretty much all we did during the day. Although one day it didn't blow strong enough so some guy took us out on a catamaran beyond a reef and we went to snorkel, the boys loved all the different fish they were able to observe.

Bottom line: I would strongly recommend this destination for a family happy with a 4 star rating.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank Marc-Thibodeau
Manuel V, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2012

Dear Marc-Thibodeau. Thank you for your visit and your recommendation. This is one of the best destinations for kite surfers and we are very happy you have enjoyed it. We hope to meet you back very soon. Manuel Vazquez

Reviewed 15 March 2012

THESE ARE MY EXPERIENCES AT THE SOL CAYO GUILLERMO IN FULL DETAIL.

Me and my family went to the sol cayo guillermo resort august 2011. We had bought the vacation because we wanted to escape to paradise. It unfortunately, was the complete opposite. I had read almost ALL of the reviews before purchasing the vacation with sunwing. I read ALOT of bad reviews saying that this was a nightmare, and to avoid at all costs, but i thought that they were just being harsh and picky about little things. People that gave bad reviews also posted horrible pictures; for example: rat droppings, cracks in the walls, stains on the walls, ants and bugs in room, stained mattresses, leaking air con, and many more. I cant believe i'm saying this, but luckily i only experienced leaking air con, cracked walls and broken toilet. But ALL of the reviews i read, good and bad, they all said the beach was the most beautiful beach they had ever seen. At this point i was very worried since i had already bought the tickets. After taking in consideration the good reviews i decided that I'm not going there for the room, im going there for the beach, and the water, and the sun, and that it didn't even matter how the room is going to look as long as the resort was good. WRONG.

I WILL NOW GO IN FULL DETAIL EXPLAINING EVERYTHING ABOUT THE RESORT AND EVERYTHING THAT HAD HAPPENED TO ME IN THE RESORT.

FOOD-
The food was Okay. i had read reviews before saying there was bugs everywhere but i didn't believe so, until i saw it with my own eyes. All of the open platters were uneatable, as there was either fruit flies, or black flies all around them and sitting on them. I only ate things that were cooked in front of you like the chicken, which was pretty good, or pasta which was also good, but still ended up getting an awful stomach ache the last day before we left. The only thing i can actually say that was 100% delicious was these fried bananas they made for dessert, although the line for them was sometimes unbearable and i ended up leaving. The tables looked fine, but were not always cleaned.

As for the a la carte i cannot say anything about them since we always forgot to make reservations.

BEACH- the beach was above and beyond all expectations i ever had for any beach in my life. It was defiantly a 5 star beach without a doubt. It was crystal clear, and blue, and i found that the most beautiful part was when the water got so small in the afternoon that you could lye in the middle of the ocean, on sand with water surrounding you. The water was very clean and i have no complaints about it. The only thing i wished our resort had on the beach would be a dock or deck leading to the middle of the ocean, but we walked down the beach to another resort which had one and relaxed there. On our way walking to the resort though, we saw some very deserted resorts, that looked completely abandoned, and also a lot of algae. But once again this was not on the sol cayo guillermo beach but another resorts beach. ALL IN ALL THIS WAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL BEACH I HAVE SEEN IN MY WHOLE LIFE AND THAT I WILL EVER PROBABLY SEE, BUT SADLY I CANNOT SAY IT COMPENSATED FOR THE REST OF THE HORRIBLE THINGS.

ROOM- We arrived at the resort at about 8:00 pm. It was dark and this guy told us he would take us to our rooms in a golf cart after we checked in. We checked in and he proceeded to drive us to our rooms. We started to realize that it was taking a while to get to the room, and we were unsure if the guy was lost or the room was just really far away. We started freaking out on how we were going to back to the main part of the resort in the morning. When we finally got there we planned on just staying there for the night and figuring out what we were going to do in the morning. The next morning we found ourselves walking in circles for about a half hour till we finally found a couple to follow back to the main area. We ended switching our room another 2 times until finally getting something at least somewhat near the pool. The room was not fit for a 4 star resort. It was more like a two star room. The air con was leaking, our toilet broke,and the bathroom window was broken and not able to be shut, EVEN AT NIGHT causing bugs to crawl in the bathroom. When we reported these things the front desk just told us dont worry we'll fix it for you without a problem. They never ended up fixing it. There were also cracks in the bathroom walls, and stains on the walls. But the room wasn't really my main focus and i didn't really mind these things.

ENTERTAINMENT- The entertainment was the most awful entertainment i have ever seen in my life. All of them were game shows except one. i only fully enjoyed one show when my dad went up for a game show. It was usually this giant group of about 25 people from england that were favoured by the entertainment crew that got picked to go up. The stage was also awful looking and practically falling apart. This does not even compare to any of 4 star the resorts i have ever been to.

ENTERTAINMENT CREW AND ACTIVITIES- The entertainment crew completely was not involved with the guests at the resort at all. It seemed like they didn't care at all. They just sat down all the time around the pool table watching people play pool. We became friends with one of the girls, but she seemed very depressed, as did all of them, and always asked us if we had any extra stuff to give her such as shampoo and things. We felt awful for all of them and donated a lot of our stuff of coarse. But the entertainment crew were not entertaining at all! they were almost bringing everyones mood down instead. As for the activities we missed almost all of them. They were never announced and the entertainment crew never tried to gather people for the activities, so they usually got cancelled due to no one participating except 2 or 3 people. Even when they were on, they were always IMPOSSIBLE to find, and whoever we asked at the front desk had no clue, causing us to miss them yet again.

KIDS CLUB- We wanted my 12 year old daughter to join the kids club, but this was impossible since no one knew were it was. We saw a couple of the entertainment crew walking around with kids but when we wanted to ask then about it they always went backstage.

RESORT- THE WHOLE RESORT IT WAAAY OVER PRICED AND THIS IS NOT A FOUR STAR RESORT. MORE LIKE A 3 AT MAXIMUM. The resort itself was pretty disappointing. The tiles on the sidewalk were all cracked and not taken care off. It was very easy to get lost. And some places looked like trashed and not cared about. For example the wedding gazebo was completely teared apart and falling apart, me and my family laughed about it saying we felt bad for anyone who got married there.The hammock was VERY far away and hard to get to, and deserted and to top it off a coconut almost fell on my head!! It was also very quiet and empty. There was only a group of 25 people from england, us, 2 families from argentina, and a family from cuba. The pool was very standard for a 4 star resort. Here is one of the worst things that happened to me in this resort. ME AND MY DAD WERE PLAYING TENNIS ON THE TENNIS COURT ONE OF THE SECOND EVENING WE GOT THERE. ALL OF A SUDDEN THIS STRONG, STRONG, AWFUL SMELL, CHEMICALLY SMELL, ALMOST LIKE BURNING RUBBER COMES TO MY NOSE. ME AND MY DAD DECIDE TO IGNORE IT AND CONTINUE PLAYING. ABOUT THIRTY SECOND LATER I LOOK AT MY ARMS AND THERE IS BLOOOODDD ALLLLL OVER MY ARMS!!!! I IMMEDIATELY START SCREAMING. DEAD MOSQUITOES WERE FALLING FROM THE SKY EVERYWHERE. THERE WAS MOSQUITOS AND MOSQUITO BLOOD ON MY FACE, LEGS AND ARMS AND ALSO ON MY DAD. WE IMMEDIATELY RAN BACK TO THE ROOM AND TOOK A SHOWER. WE LATER FOUND OUT THE MACHINE WAS SPREADING A MOSQUITO KILLER THROUGH THE AIR. I CANNOT BELIVE THEY WOULD DO THIS WHILE PEOPLE ARE STILL OUTSIDE ON THE RESORT AT 4:00. AT LEAST IF THEY DID IT WHILE PEOPLE WERE SLEEPING. THEN WE FOUND OUT THE MACHINE COMES AROUND EVERY SINGLE DAY AT AROUND 4:00 TO 7:00.

PLEASE DONT BE LIKE I WAS AND THINK THAT THE PEOPLE GIVING BAD REVIEWS ARE EXAGGERATING... BECAUSE EVERYTHING THEY SAID, SADLY WAS TRUE. IF YOUR THINKING TO GO HERE JUST FOR THE BEACH PLEASE JUST CHOOSE ANOTHER RESORT IN CAYO GUILLERMO. IF YOU HAVE ALREADY BOUGHT THE VACATION PREPARE FOR THE UNAVOIDABLE.

OH AND DONT FORGET YOUR SUNSCREEN!! ME AND MY FAMILY GOT THE WORST BRUNS IN OUR LIFETIME.

WORST VACATION OF MY LIFE.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Ashley H
Manuel V, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

Dear Ashley H. I am sorry for all inconvenience you had during your stay LAST AUGUST. We always appreciate the feedback from our guest and it is the way to improve. I honestly think it is unfair for my team to get this bad review AFTER 7 MONTHS. We have been working very hard and we are always open to have any feedback during the stay to find the way to be better and to help our guest. Kind regards. Manuel Vazquez

Reviewed 15 March 2012

We recently travelled and stayed at Sol Cayo Guillermo (Feb 25-Mar 3rd), and had an amazing time. There was a large group of us (42 total with 2 being children aged 12). We travelled down for my wedding. I will review the resort first and then talk about the wedding events! Since there are very few wedding reviews on trip advisor for this resort!

Overall, everyone in our group had wonderful things to say about the resort. No one had any complaints that I was told, everyone said wonderful things. Our group was all placed in rooms close to each other in the 700-1100 area. Our room was in the 900's (ocean view, second floor and in the middle of all our group! But stratically placed so there was no group members directly neighbouring us for a little extra privacy!

Grounds: Very well kept. Beautiful location. The beach was amazing. One of the finest I've ever seen. Perfect for a leisurly say spent enjoying the sun and the ocean! The room buildings were wonderful, all ammenities were within walking distance. There was a couple seniors who travelled in our group and they had no problems getting around what so ever.

Food: The food was very good. This was my first trip to Cuba and was unsure what to expect, but was very pleasantly surprised! No one starved, and we all enjoyed the food! Great service in the buffett area. And the a la cartes as well!

Service: Exceptional! Thank you to all the staff! We only ran into a couple problems. In the buffett restraunt, the tables are set up for groups of 4. This was an issue some meals when there were groups of 8-12 who wanted to all sit together and chat. A couple times members of the group moved tables together to facilitate this. It was when they did this that they noticed their service from the staff serving drinks had become next to none. But within a couple days we noticed a few more tables for 8-12 people were set up! The bar tenders were so wonderful. At resorts I've been to in the past, your level of service got better when you tippped. I noticed with our large group that no matter the tip (or lack there of), our service had never changed!

Entertainment/Activities: The nice thing about the resort was that if you wanted to do the daily activities you could, but they were not very well advertised or promoted once you left the main pool and stage areas. The nightly shows were well done, and entertaining. Very crowd focused with lots of crowd participation! The magic show was very good!! The entertainment staff were exceptional and very friendly!

Rooms: Very few of us had any issues. And what issues did arise (plumbing, air conditioning, need for closer room) were very promtly fixed by the staff! A simple phone call to the desk, and within minutes someone was fixing the problem! Rooms were cleaned daily, and the maids and grounds keepers were so wonderful!!

Wedding: Such a great experience. Was perfect! They catered to any need we had as bride and groom, and also as a guest for the wedding. We arrived on a Saturday. Met with Yudy on Monday (Wedding Co-ordinator). She was very friendly, warm and easy to talk to. Her English was excellent. We picked our flowers, any extras we wished to have (Videographer and Photographer is basically all we got. Along with some extra flowers and our hair done).
On the eve of our wedding, they had arranged for an a la carte dinner for my husband to be and I. Then the day of the wedding, a hair dresser came in, did my hair and the bridesmaids hair. The day was so stress free, and fun. The ceremony was in the gazebo. The final DVD product from the videographer was worth every peso, along with the photos from the photographer! After the ceremony, we all had a few drinks at the beach bar. And due to the size of our group, they arranged for a private dinner in one of the a la cartes. A 6 course meal, with a large wedding cake. The morning after, we received a wonderful breakfast in bed of juice, eggs, toast, fresh fruit and a variety of pastries!

Was a perfect day, and a perfect week! If anyone is considering SCG for wedding, or a vacation - I highly recommend this resort! With a group of 42, it is hard to please everyone, but SCG did. We look forward to returning!! Thank you to each and every staff member for making our vacation and wedding as perfect as it was. See you again Soon! An extra special thank you to Yudy, and also to Duni for making sure our stay was as amazing as it was!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank yolabake

Dear yolabake. Thank you for choosing us for this special day in you life with your family and friends. I share your compliments with all staff involved in our wedding services, specially to Judy. We are working hard to celebrate more weddings in the future. We wish you and your family all the best. Manuel Vazquez

Reviewed 14 March 2012

Just arrived home from the sol cayo guillermo,Before we went there was some people saying it was not very nice, Which is not so as we found it clean food was fine and the staff was great They can not do enough for you,so please dont be put off by these few bad reviews at this hotel We cant wait to return best holiday we have ever had.,

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank san c

Dear san c. Thank you for your visit and your great review, "best holiday you ever had" is something we feel very proud. Please, write us before you come back if you have any request. Take care. Manuel Vazquez

Reviewed 11 March 2012

Me(23) + Boyfriend(25) went from March 2-March 9. it was absolutely beautiful!! Unfortunately for us it rained for 4 days, but the staff kept us fully entertained. Everything was clean, the room, the resort, the pool, the beach (extra seats everywhere & water was better then all the other resorts in the area) We had no mosquito or sand flea bites. We didn`t eat nothing that was uncooked, like salads etc therefore we never got sick. Bring a mug so u dont have to keep going back to the bar, Please tip your waiters,they work very hard & travel 2hrs by bus to get to the resort. I want to thank Ana & Alexis!!! I can see why this resort has so many returning customers, I am dying to go back. Please check out my pictures and give this resort a chance, i promise u wont be dissapointed!

P.S Dont spend extra money on ocean view rooms,all rooms are beautiful & 1 floor was even better, easy access for luggages.Also dont buy website expensive insurance!! in cuba its $2/day. Enjoy your trip.

Room Tip: Room 511, 1 floor extra clean & close to all restaurants, pool, beach!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank relada s
Manuel V, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

Dear relada s. Thank you for your visit and your excellent review. As you say the staff is the main reason why we have so many regulars year after year, I am very lucky of that. We hope you can come back soon. Best regards. Manuel Vazquez