4,365 results
All reviews main bar fish snack bar pasta two weeks beach restaurant a la carte toasties great holiday beautiful beach sales manager buffet restaurant churros entertainment staff the thomas cook rep second home second week
Reviewed 10 July 2011

On our arrival the rooms were ready and we decided we wanted to change rooms. This was organised immediately, but we then realised that we had mistakenly downgraded ourselves! This was remedied in a couple of days and the staff and holiday rep were extremely helpful.

The rooms are a bit rustic, but very clean and roomy. From the sea view rooms the view is simply spectacular. We had a hammock on our balcony which we loved. The tv in the rooms had sports channels with premier league games. The bed was huge and very comfy. The maintenance was great. When we reported that our shower was faulty, it was mended straight away.

We thought the food was great for what you would expect for a buffet restaurant. You could select your own good quality fresh meat and have it cooked to your own requirements. You could also have pizza, pasta and omelettes cooked to your instructions without ever having to queue for any length of time. In the morning, omelettes and eggs were cooked again to your own specification, plenty of bacon and loads of fresh bread, fruit, smoothies and pastries. The sweets were extremely tasty - expect to put on some weight during your stay. At lunchtime, things were a bit re-hashed at the buffet restaurant, but still plenty of choice plus fresh food at the beach bar. There was food all day long, either in the buffet restaurant, the beach bar or toasties/burgers made freshly.

Bars were well stocked with free local spirits which we found were often nicer than the premium spirits for which there was a small charge. The bar staff were always happy to mix you any sort of tropical (especially Cuban) cocktails which were fantastic! We would definitely recommend that you get your coffee in the bar rather than the restaurant, as for some reason the coffee served in the restaurant was dreadful!! There were never any queues at the bars as there were plenty of staff.

I am absolutely astonished that some reviewers have complained about staff attitude!! EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE STAFF WAS EXTREMELY HARDWORKING BUT COMBINED THIS WITH A FABULOUSLY SUNNY DISPOSITION AND VERY HELPFUL, FRIENDLY NATURE. The gardeners keep the grounds looking lovely and always appreciate a drink if you are passing. They'll also make you hats from palm leaves & leave flowers on your door.
If you have any t shirts, shorts etc that you can pass on to the staff when you leave it is always appreciated as some items are difficult to get hold of in Cuba. Tips are gratefully accepted but never expected or requested.

Pool areas are kept clean and tidy. Unfortunately there is the usual issue of selfish guests reserving the best sunbeds at an early hour, whether they plan to use them or not.....SAD!

The beach is absolutely beautiful, with the most stunning turquoise coloured sea lapping onto golden sands. Staff actually clear the beach of small amounts of seaweed twice a day, which in the Cuban sun must be a very tiring task! Pedaloes and kayaks are free of change, as are trips on the catarmaran (for 3/4 people) to a nearby island for snorkelling.

The weather was great while we were there, perfect temperature. Only one rain storm in the evening but it was quite windy at times.

On leaving, the staff gathered everyone together and gave each room a bottle of rum which was a nice touch.

I must give a special mention to Hector, the Thomas Cook rep. He was the best holiday rep we have ever had by a long way. He is extremely helpful, always available and has a sunny disposition. Any questions you may have on any subject if Hector does not know the answer, he will find out for you very quickly. Also, his knowledge of the local area, wildlife and particularly Cuban history and politics is vast. I spent a lot of time discussing Cuban politics with him and found it fascinating and it's well worth talking to him if you are interested. (Hector, if you want to get in touch it would be great to hear from you.)

The general atmosphere is very chilled, relaxed and friendly, but not overly formal, which we liked. We had a fantastic holiday and would recommend this place to anyone.

Pam & Sara

Room tip: Sea View rooms fantastic
Date of stay: April 2011
10  Thank ManchesterPamster
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Having read previous reviews on this hotel before travelling I was really looking forward to holidaying at the SCG, however, I'm afraid I was a little disappointed. I have been to mainland Cuba on 2 previous occasions which was much better.

Positives: As many reviews state, the beach is the best part of the resort, with beautiful aquamarine sea and white sand. There was never any problem getting a sunbed and shade and there was usually a lovely breeze. It's a pity some people were disrespectful and left empty cups, straws and fag ends on the sand!!
We had a first floor room with a massive bed which was very comfortable, with linen changed quite often and great air conditioning system. Our maid left us some pretty niffty swan sculptures decorated with various pieces of clothing we left draped on the back of the chair and finished off with my glasses which was quite amusing. The rooms are a little 'tired' looking but were clean.
We went to the International Al a Carte restaurant twice. This is a small, intimate restaurant with waiter service which serves a very tasty steak and the second week we went again for our wedding anniversary and were given a complimentary bottle of cava with our meal which was a nice touch.

I've written reviews of tripadvisor before as I've travelled quite extensively but this is the first time I've ever included any negative comments but for the sake of a little bit of attention and spruce up this could be a really nice hotel.

Negatives: I stayed in a 4*Sol hotel in Guadalavaca 18 months ago which was of a significantly higher standard than this hotel with the quality and choice of the food and drink far superior. The food at SCG was quite bland and there were far too many flies on the meat and salads which were left uncovered. On several occasions there were no dishes or plates available at breakfast or evening meal and the pasta counter ran out of many ingredients by 9.15pm and didnt restock even though the dining room was open till 10pm. The seats in the dining room were very dirty and in desperate need of a clean so if you're fond of wearing nice dresses or white clothing ladies be warned.
We went to the Rancho Carabbean restaurant one evening and was looking forward to eating something different and with a bit of spice and listening to some nice reggae music but it was soooo disappointing....when I asked if they had any music all I got was a curt 'no, is broke'.
The topic of conversation every day in the dining room was people comparing mozzie bites!! despite the grounds being fumagated twice a day there was no getting away from them and they appeared to be 'immune' from the repellents we all used, but then we were living in their environments...swampland!!!

I notice there are many people who return to this hotel many times, for me, I wont be going back....I felt I could have been anywhere in Spain as this was nothing like the Cuba I know and love.... but for those who do love it ENJOY!!

2  Thank LuvleyLady
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We travelled from 14th to 28th June 2011 with Thomas Cook.

The positives:-

The beach – by far one of the best beaches I have ever seen. The turquoise waters are so beautiful and clean. It is amazing when the tide goes in and the sand banks are visible. The water is really warm and it feels like you’re in a bath, as I said - amazing! The activities are all included so there was no extra charge for the pedalos or kayaks. There is also a banana boat but we did not try that. It was generally quieter by the beach than at the pool and finding sunbeds was not a problem. We couldn’t understand why some guests spent most of their time by the pool, which you can get anywhere, when there was such a beautiful beach on the doorstep.

The room – We had a sea view room which was lovely. We were located in the 300 block, which was perfect, because we prefer to be away from the main reception and bar as it was quieter. Our room was a 2 minute stroll to the beach which is what we preferred. It was clean and comfortable. The bed was a little lumpy but as long as it was clean we had no qualms. I’m not sure why some guests have said that their bed linen was not changed for the duration of their stay, because on the bedside tables there is a note from the maid which tells you to put the note on the bed if you require the sheets to be changed. We did that and they were changed every time. We got clean towels every day. Our maid also left us swans and flowers on the bed most days.

The staff – I must say that most staff did all they could to help us. They were so friendly. There were a few members of staff who were not as friendly as others, but this did not bother us. The gardener left us coconuts outside our room on some days. We tipped him a few pesos each time.

The excursions – We went on two excursions booked through Thomas Cook. I would recommend both. The first was the ‘Real Cuba’ tour, which takes you to the nearest town called Moron to enjoy a steam train ride through the sugar cane fields. You also get to go on a speedboat ride through the mangroves which was really good fun! Beware of the mosquitoes in the mangroves! You then go into the capital town of the province to have lunch, have some free time (there was nothing to do) visit a very small cigar factory (which was interesting! The ladies working there were trying hard to sell cigars but we were advised not to buy them as they are not the true Havana cigars) We then went on to have a bici-taxi ride through the city. It was a really good day and the coach was comfortable and air conditioned.

Our second excursion was the Jeep Adventure. There were only two jeeps on our tour which made it better I think. We got to have real one-on-one time with our tourg uide and learn a great deal about Cuba. Everything we learnt about Cuba was from this guide. We visited a mountain, a crocodile farm, were able to ride a bull and horses. The only downside was the overlap with the ‘Real Cuba’ tour which we were not told about. We went on the speedboats in the mangroves a second time, which we didn’t mind but it was a shame to have a repeated activity.

The weather – We were very fortunate with the weather! It only rained 3 times during our stay, once in the first week in the evening for a few hours. Then twice in the second week, again once in the evening around half and hour of thunderstorms and the second time for about 1 hour on and off thunderstorms from about 9.30 until 10.30am. It was warm rain and we actually continued swimming in the sea, as did most people. The sun came out after the storms and the rest of the day was glorious!

The negatives: -

The food – We had upset stomachs for most of our stay. Most people did. The food was repetitive and very bland. There was no real choice and the same food was served most days, including the same dishes from lunch being warmed up and served at dinner. The food really does need to be covered. There were flies everywhere. Also a bird would fly in and start pecking at food, the staff did nothing. We ended up eating pasta or pizza for most of our stay from the pasta and pizza stations. The chefs use the same spoons with raw meat and cooked meat. They also use the same spoons to stir another person’s dinner which means, I as a vegetarian, had pieces of ham in my pasta and pizza!! There is only so many times you can ask the chef to wash their spoon! However we did not go to Cuba expecting fine cuisine so we were ready for the disappointment. If you are a real food person then I would not recommend this hotel.

Tipping – Whilst I appreciate that the staff at the hotel do not earn very much and also work hard, I still believe that tipping as a matter of principle, is for good service. I felt disgruntled when I felt pressured to tip for things that I had already paid for in an all-inclusive holiday. For example, the chefs in the restaurant have plates set out in front of their stations for people to tip them. When a tip is received they put the money behind the counter so as to allow the plate to seem relatively empty. Like I said if I feel I have received good service or if I want to be generous with certain people that I have made friends with that’s fine but what I did not like was the pressure at the hotel to tip everyone for everything! Perhaps this is personal preference, but I felt an element of pressure to tip even if I did not like the food. Which I did not.

The maid also asked for her tip early, as we found a note two days before we were due to leave informing us that it was her last day the next day. We later found out that our friends had also received the same note. I see from other reviews on here that this is not uncommon.

The mosquitoes – they really are a problem. We had tropical insect repellent and a plug but neither worked. Everyone else was the same too! We got bitten loads, as did other guests. The hotel does fumigate your room if you ask them to. It helped for a day or so but then back to normal. Sand flies are also a problem. But it is the tropics so it is expected! Just be aware!

The flight with Thomas Cook- worst flight we have ever been on. There was no in-flight entertainment in a few rows, which happened to be ours. Terrible. To top it all off a few people had food poisoing so were throwing up throughout the 9 hour flight! The airline crew were not interested at all! Terrible experience. We will never fly Thomas Cook again. It's a shame Thomas Cook are the only operator to travel to Cayo Guillermo.

Overall, we had an amazing time and tried not to let the negatives ruin our holiday. The beach really makes this hotel. I wouldn’t say the hotel is bad it just isn’t 4 star standard. If you are prepared for the bad food then I would definitely recommend this hotel.

7  Thank NewlyWed14
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Well i have never written a review before BUT felt that this time i would let you all see what’s its all about from a well travelled by newbee to trip advisor....

Ok where do i start... This hotel is great choice, not only for its fantastic location but because of the staff, they ALL make you so so welcome, from the reception staff (especially Yaimi!!) to the cleaning staff (especially Yaniki) to the bar staff, Francis, Laurents and Johhny to name a few) and not forgetting the restaurant staff - all of them just cant do enough to make you feel welcome... oh and a special thankyou to ANDY Who was our personal taxi around the resort!! and made us laugh so much!) The room was fab, it was a first floor facing the beach and gave us amazing views and this is thanks to Yaimi x. The best place for us during the evening was the beach bar called the Cubinita Bar, we re-named it the 'round house' due to the fact that the bar is circular and everyone interacts and many a good laugh was had at that bar including using the yellow rope to tie ANDY - FRANCIS & LAURENTS to the central pole, something of which amused us all, and i think they quite liked it too!!
If you like to sit in a larger area and watch the entertainment then the main bar will be for you, we did this a couple of times at the beginning of our holiday but then discovered the 'round house' and that’s where the 'usual suspects' were found - ERICA AND PAUL, PAUL AND JANE, CHRIS & LES AND THE BOYS, THE TWO GIRLIES, THE LOVELY TANIA AND SCOTT to name but a few...anyway too much said about the bar so lets move onto the beach....BEAUTIFUL.... As i said before we have travelled well and can say that this is one of the nicest beaches , the soft sand, the colour of the sea!! and the fact that you can walk out about 1/2 a mile - you are not bothered by vendors on the beach so you can relax and enjoy the peaceful and dreamy location. If you fancy a change from the AI hotel then you can stroll along the beach to the 'Lobster shack' and enjoy fresh Lobster or alternative of beef /chicken meal which was smothered in garlic, mmmmm lovely, but if you don’t like garlic then worth a mention when you book...
There is a bank on site at the hotel to change up your money - you can use your credit card in Cuba as long as it is not affiliated to USA - we used our Halifax CC with no problems - talking of using the CC we booked some trips with Hector our rep - who is lovely, he remembers everyone and always always says hello when walking around the hotel - The trips we chose were the SUNSET CRUISE and THIS IS WHAT I CALL CUBA - The sunset cruise was lovely, the boat was a bit bland when we first boarded but once being taken through the winding mangroves and onto a remote small island which houses only a restaurant and bar along with a boardwalk and look out tower (which you can climb and see beautiful views) after your meal and all inclusive bar you are then taken out again to sea to watch an amazing sunset with a glass of bubbly and some soft music (which came from the skippers I phone!!! ha ha ha) there were only 8 of us on this trip and that made it perfect. The other Trip was BUSY BUSY BUSY - A very hot day and loads to do! starting with speed boat through the mangroves, then onto a the local town and a visit to a cigar factory, music and dancing, meal, bike and carriage tour of the town and last but certainly not least a trip on a very old steam train taking you through the sugar cane fields - Right what else can i tell you...back to the hotel again, the food was good, some people did complain but come on you are in Cuba, so don’t expect macdonalds!! always fresh meat cooked in front of you, chicken/beef/pork/fish with many choises of accompaniments like pasta, rice, vegetables, potatoes, AND YES CHIPS IF YOU WANT THEM - This is all in the buffet restaurant, then of course you can visit the two al la carte restaurants which made a nice change and were of course waiter service.- during the day if you didn’t want to use the restaurants to eat and maybe just want a lite bite then there is the 'toasty' bar right by the main bar, or perhaps and burger or hotdog or pizza down by the beach, if you just want fruit or plain bread and cheese then these can be sourced at the buffet restaurant. The pool area we didn’t use too much only because it was so hot that we preferred the beach with the breeze, but if you are a pool person, then i am sure you will be happy, it was clean, not too busy and near to all of the amenities. IF YOU HAVE BOOKED THIS HOTEL – YOU HAVE MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE….. IF YOU HAVE NOT BOOKED THIS HOTEL YOU NEED TO BOOK IT RIGHT NOW!

7  Thank boopie123
Reviewed 4 July 2011

The holiday started with a wet and windy landing at the airport but as soon as the clouds blew over, the sun came out and we could see the glorious beach and azure blue seas from the bedroom! The location is ideally suited to a stress free carribean relaxation holiday and the photos don't do it justice.
The grounds of the hotel are well presented and maintained and use locally sourced materials for the construction of the bar, a la carte restaurant and seating areas. No shortage of land crabs but, considering how close to the sea you are, not entirwely surprising. (We had a whopping great crab living under the patio but he never bothered us and spent most of the day watching from his corner!)
The staff are very welcoming and will certainly look after you very well. Tipping is encouraged but is not expensive and really does bring joy to the staff.
Rooms are a bit varied but only becausae renovation is being carried out. Our room was clean, large and cool (excellent air conditioning) with a fridge for your own drinks etc. A bottle of water is provided every day in the room but can be re-filled from the bars. The furniture is a bit tired, but this is cuba and I think it added to the rustic / carribean seaside atmosphere.
The pools are good and cleaned regularly and the jaccuzi is great on a hot day.
The Cubanita bar (by the waters edge) is a great place at night if you don't want the noise of the nightly shows in the main bar. Drinks are limited here but cocktails and beer flow freely. I wouldn't bother with the disco - being eaten alive by mosquitos isn't my idea of fun. Its next to the mangrove swamp at the back of the hotel so is out of the way for noise travelling to the bedrooms.
The two a la carte restaurants are well worth a look and the beef bordalaise in Don Guillermo was fantastic. You can also pay 20pesos for a romantic meal outside (which I did to propose to the girlfriend) which is well worth doing - you have a 5 course meal with lobster if you wish but pretty much anything can be ordered. You also get a bottle of Cava (chilled) and silver service to your table. Again I highly recomend having this overlooking the beach!
Trips - we didn't bother with these, mainly because pretty much everything is provided by the hotel and you don't need to pay Thomas Cook prices to do them - they are all free! We swam at the reef and were surrounded by beautiful fish (take a bananna or bread and they will feed out of your hands). The hobby cats are also well worth taking out and if you tip them even 1peso, you'll get a longer trip and some very high speeds. Everything you could want from snorkels to scuba tanks, from trolling boats to fishing rods are available!
Don't go to Cuba expecting an English 4* hotel because again ...this is Cuba, but this place really sets a charming experience and I'd love to have stayed another two weeks.
Go on, enjoy yourselves...............(and she said yes by the way! ;) )

Room tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Trip type: Travelled with family