3,259 results
All reviews crystal lagoon merry monkey main pool piano bar caribbean village sushi building work bayside restaurant bombay club cafe de paris indian restaurant royal house club level construction site swim up room butler service butch's chophouse
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We had the best honeymoon here! It was our first Sandals vacation. We loved Sandals and we loved Barbados! Can't wait to come back. Beautiful rooms, gorgeous beach, incredibly helpful and friendly staff and wonderful restaurants!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Purplemonkeez
Reviewed 4 April 2018

My wife and I just returned from Sandals Barbados yesterday where we spent 7 nights for our honeymoon. To put it very simply - this resort and it's staff are absolutely fantastic!

The resort itself is actually 2 resorts - they've just completed Sandals Royal Barbados which is right next door. It's so close in fact that you really don't feel that you're on 2 resorts but rather one large one. You also have access to everything on both sides - restaurants, pools, the Red Lane Spas and fitness centers. If trying to decide between this resort and the Royal, know that you can't go wrong as either choice will be excellent.

The landscaping is IMPECCABLE. This is easily one of the most beautiful properties I've been on, and all of this great landscaping is maintained by a very friendly groundskeeping staff.

The restaurants are all great, and we especially enjoyed La Parisienne, Chi, and Butch's Chophouse and Seafood (you'll need reservations for some of these - book them as soon as you arrive!) It's all-inclusive, but doesn't feel "cheap" in any way as the food quality is very high and is presented well. My wife and I enjoy tapas/small plates when we dine out, and we were able to order many appetizers and entrees to sample the many well crafted flavors. Their cocktail program is above average for a resort as well, and the Sky Lounge on the Royal side boasts a selection of smoked craft cocktails. Great stuff!

The beach is beautiful as you'd expect, with turquoise-blue water and white/pink sand that is incredibly soft. All beaches in Barbados are public, so anyone may stroll down the beach. This does mean that locals will pop by to offer aloe vera/foot massage/island tour services, but they aren't pests if you are polite when declining.

As for pools, the main pool on the west side is certainly the most popular. The swim up bar is great, and the pool deck and beach are staffed with wonderful friendly people who bring you whatever you need (often above and beyond their duty!) This is the loudest of the pools, with daily pool activities and a bit more of a "party" atmosphere at times. It's never overly out of control, though. The European style pool is further north on the resort, and boasts several cabanas with comfortable loungers. This is definitely the quieter of the two.

In back is the Crystal Lagoon pool, and we stayed in a swim-up room on the lower level of the Bajan house (4110). The room and pool were amazing. Beautifully landscaped like the rest of the resort, this pool is great for lounging in if you want a bit more privacy than the others. The Crystal Lagoon rooms are certainly some of the quietest, and we found it quite nice to be able to escape the main pools to our own serene area.

This was our first time to Barbados, and let me just say that one of the best parts of our trip was the warm and friendly Barbadian people. Literally everyone we met both on the resort and off were polite and happy to see us. The folks on the island embrace tourists and treat everyone with cheerful respect that we found very refreshing coming from the states. The island is also one of the safest in the Caribbean, so roaming off the resort is very easy to do.

Now for a few shout-outs to folks who went above and beyond to make our stay incredible:

DIONNE at Butch's Steak and Seafood took FANTASTIC care of us on our last night. Very well done!

KENNY at the Beach House shop was so polite and happy to help us. He even found some shirt sizes for us after we left the shop and called our room to let us know. He also ran over to the other shop (unasked) to get an item we needed. He truly embodied customer service!

KYLE at the Merry Monkey Pub was one of the friendliest and most helpful bartenders we encountered. Kyle knew I enjoyed Guinness, and when he was filling in at the piano bar ran over (without my asking) to grab some Guinness from the pub to serve me while we enjoyed the music. Such a helpful person with a great personality!

I can't say it enough - this was the perfect resort experience for our honeymoon. We will definitely be back again!

Oh - and make sure you book a CLUB LEVEL ROOM. The concierge perks, room service, and full minibar in your room make this upgrade well worth it!

Room Tip: Crystal Lagoon and Caribbean Village rooms are your best bet. Club level is worth it!
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Andrew E
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

This was a first time at a sandals and I would definitely recommend trying a sandals if you haven’t gone to one. It is great being adults only.

The Barbados Resort was beautiful. They just finished the new Royals resort and it is right next door. We used all of their amenities. The infinity pool was awesome! The sky bar and the sky pool at sunset was my favorite.

At the main pool we had pool volleyball and beach soccer everyday. We loved the employee River. He was in charge of the guest games and fun. The bartender Patson was my favorite!

All of the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was clean and the room service/cleaning was kept to high standards.

The only reason I didn’t give it 5 stars is because of the food. There are 21 restaurants and all the food was “eh - good not great”
Everything seemed to be catered towards people that didn’t like flavoring their food. Bombay restaurant was my favorite on the resort.
I really wish they served local food on the resort. We wanted flying fish, mahi mahi, blue marlin. We had to go off the resort to Oisins fish festival to have that. And THAT was amazing! Plan to eat off the resort a couple of times if you do stay here.

Enjoy!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sheriandgeoff
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Just returned from our honeymoon! This was our first Sandals holiday and we were absolutely amazed with the resort..

The restaurants were faultless. The brat we’ve ever experienced. We did not have one single bad meal. Our favourite was Bombay and Dinos pizza. There is a ‘No tipping policy’

We stayed in the Caribbean village deluxe room. We were right in the centre of both Sandals Barbados and sandals royal.. the room was perfectly fine. Everything worked fine. The fridge was topped up daily, the room cleaned twice daily. There was also an ironing board, safe and docking station in the room.

The beach was lovely. Soft sand and very clean.

The hot tub was bliss when it got to about 5pm

I woke up about 7:30 to reserve a sun bed in a good spot.. there are lots of beds however like anywhere you need to reserve specific spots if you like them specifically.

I want to give a special mention to the following people that made our stay even more enjoyable..

MARLON: one of the nicest person we’ve ever met! Marlon showed us around the resort on our first day. He was so helpful and friendly throughout the entire holiday.. always came to find us and made sure that we were nothing having a good time! We were that grateful that we invited him to join us for Dinner on our second to last day. He was so happy! He’s also a fantastic pianist and brilliant dancer!

NATARIE: Natarie was part of the pool maintenance. He was so nice and hard working. We asked him for coconuts from the tree and he made sure that we both got them twice. Natarie went above and beyond to make sure we got them. He even cut them up and gave them to us with straws in them. He talked to us about the culture of Barbados. He was always smiling and came and said hello to us whenever we were at the pool area.

SAMUEL: Samuel works at lovers lane and he made every night very enjoyable. He danced and sang away as he made our drinks and always made us laugh! Great dance moves Sam!

JOSEI: Josei was part of the entertainment team. He was the funniest guy ever. So energetic, laughing and smiling all the time! He played beer pong and flip cup with us and we had so much fun! His dance moves are brilliant!

Would go back perhaps for our 10year anniversary!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Laddie1985
Reviewed 3 April 2018

I went to Sandals with a friend and the hotel is pretty amazing. Although I went with a friend and had a blast, Sandals definitely caters more to couples and honeymooners so if you're going with a friend, to be honest I'd choose another resort.

PROS
Interior decor and landscaping
1. Lots of care taken to create a resort with lovely interior and exterior touches that made guests feel like they are in paradise. Most of the restaurants were designed with a theme with some spectacular art, sculptures and accent pieces that really show alot of class and stellar talent by the design team. The interior decoration did have a few shortcomings which I describe in the 'cons' section of my review.

Restaurants
Overall the restaurants were fantastic. I highly recommend Butch's steak and seafood restaurant, as someone who has never really liked lobster, one taste and I was a convert. The French restaurant Parienne made the best french onion soup I have ever tasted. Bombay Indian restaurant was also pretty amazing and favours felt authentic......I must say there is a touch of class that you feel overall at Sandals and I like it. Some of the best food I've eaten in ages.

Staff
The staff really went out of their way to make us feel comfortable all the time. Customer service was top notch, couldn't knock it in anyway. Thank you Zaira (front desk), Fiona (Epix), Tamara (beach bar) for all your help!

Facilities
Rooms were regularly cleaned, facilities were clean and access to towels, lounge chairs and all other amenities were great. All inclusive package also comes with free snorkelling, sailing, glass board boat rides and exercise classes, Sandals is not cheap but you mostly get what you're paying for. It's an all round package.

CONS
Lack of business center
1. I was shocked to find that there was no business center in the resort. I know we're there to relax but providing 2 laptops with internet access and a printer doesn't take much and to be honest, this is literally the first ever 5 star hotel I have ever been to without such a basic amenity.

No attempt to make you feel like you're actually in Caribbean
2. I honestly have to say that one of the biggest flaws in Sandals in the clear disregard for actually being in the Caribbean and making no real attempt to pay homage to the holiday destination you are in in any real shape or form. There are 2 Caribbean restaurants, one is the Jerk Shack which to be honest could do without parboiling chicken before they actually barbecue it, the jerk chicken was very bland. Also strange that they don't serve fried plantains as a side, another basic miss.

The second is Spices. The main Caribbean restaurant which is clearly poorly decorated, looks more like a canteen and unlike the other restaurant with a clear theme in terms of interior decoration and a focus on an overall menu that worked, Spices feels like an afterthought just put there, clear miss by the design team and to be honest a big one. Decor pays absolutely no homage to that fact that guests were in the Caribbean and food for buffet was okay but would have preferred a decorated restaurant paying homage to all the islands.

Exclusions included in the package
3. We paid to go see the Submarine tour and paid $270 for the both of us to go. Given the other activities that come with our package, I feel the staff at Sandals should have alerted us to the fact that our existing package already covered a lot of excursions and no addition costs were required. To be honest speaking to other guests, I feel the staff should do more to ensure guests know about all the excursions included in the package.

Overall had a great time, would defo go again......with my other half though and sincerely hope the company considers my cons I listed above.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends