1,131 results
All reviews reef restaurant steak restaurant collins bar signature room swim up bar umi restaurant specialty restaurants sushi girl band white company products main restaurant paddle boarding bar staff ocean front girl group cold towels plenty of sunbeds
Reviewed 28 January 2017

We had a great time during our stay. It was our first experience at an all inclusive facility and we would certainly return.
We have nothing but kudos for the staff at every level. From the front desk to the wait staff, to housekeeping, to security, everyone was friendly, helpful, and accomodating.

Room tip: Ocean view
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Sheila S
Reviewed 27 January 2017

We have just returned from a 10-night stay, and really did not want to leave! The hotel is just perfect. It is in a great location on a beautiful beach, and is a short bus ride to Bridgetown. The hotel has plenty of restaurant options and the "Reef" (which is the main one for breakfast, lunch, and dinner) was excellent with a varied menu every day. The other restaurants, UMI and Sizzle, were also excellent. Our room, which was comfortable and well appointed, looked out onto the ocean which was quite lovely. The pool area was great too! The staff are really nice and friendly, and nothing was too much trouble for them. I really cannot find anything to fault Sugar Bay - they have it "just right"! We will return, for sure!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank Graham W
Reviewed 27 January 2017

My room and outdoor space attached are lovely, and it's a great place to unwind and do nothing at all. Minor irritation from the cigarette smoke drifting in to the outdoor , poolside area. Would be nice not to allow smoking anywhere, but I suppose that's too difficult. Also intrusive is horrid music blaring out from the pool bar,even when no-one around. Ditto evening entertainment blasted across the site - it defeated my ear plugs. On the good side the food was great. Easy to have lots to eat without sweets and stodge and really lovely to sit on the edge the beach for breakfast. Talking of the beach, this is NOT the calm west side of Barbados and the water was often choppy, with strong waves at the edge and so full of sand that you couldn't see any fish except at low tide when the breakers retreat out past the artificial reefs. But there are, then, fish by these rocks, and an even better number in the next beach along to the east of this hotel. I enjoyed watching two different snake eels (look like but are not snakes and are quite harmless). There are also very tame birds to watch.
On leaving they present you with bill for their charity (optional) and I got a bill for services not used - this really leaves a bad impression at checkout time. As did the demand for paying a 'deposit' upfront for the bar. I suppose chasing people for money all over the world is a nuisance, but in London hotels people come from everywhere. and are still trusted.

Room tip: If you're not keen on loud music, ask for a room out of the loud speaker line
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank cumbrianomad
Reviewed 26 January 2017

My finance and I took a 5 night getaway to Sugar Bay for my birthday.

It was our first time in Barbados and were used to other all inclusive resorts in Mexico, Jamaica, Cuba, and DR. Overall the experience was pleasant. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed the resort. But let's break it down...

Other guests: The average age of guests at the hotel is about 60. There were very few young couples. Also, they are mostly British. This wasn't a problem but if you're looking to party, don't go to Barbados.

Food: Probably the best all inclusive buffet food I've ever had. The buffet didn't have the useless options at larger resorts, but whatever that was available was amazing. Different selections every night, For lunch, the buffet and the beach grill were both open and you can choose whichever one you'd like. I noticed that the service at the beach grill was a lot slower than the buffet.
The steakhouse was amazing and they went out of their way to seat me at a table with balloons for my birthday and sing to me and also give a bottle of wine. I felt pretty special. The staff also all signed a card for me.
The Japanese restaurant was very slow. Our reservation was at 7:30 and we probably ordered 10 mins later. The appetizer arrived soon but the main did not arrive until after 8:45. Also, you are only allowed to choose 1 appetizer and 1 main. Appetizer can be either edamame, soup, salad, sushi, etc not a combination of any otherwise you are paying $8 USD (for edamame? come on). I'm actually allergic to seafood so this was not a problem for me.
Overall the food was perfect.
Only problem is that after the restaurants close there is no food on the resort. Only peanuts - no room service, nothing.

Entertainment: Only 1 of the 5 nights there was entertainment at/after dinner with some cover band performing. Other nights there is a steel drum player however people do not actually get up and dance or anything. During lunch some days there is also a steel drum player. At night there is a small sports bar with a pool table and darts but there is no food.

Beach: enough chairs for everyone, but not enough umbrellas. If you want an umbrella get one before 10am. There are some rocks getting into the beach but there are some clear areas. You must wear shoes or be careful. The good thing about the rocks in the distance is that you can get some snorkles and look at the hundreds of little fish against them. There are also body boards and kayaks etc. There is no drink service but the bar is closeby. Also, it is safe to leave anything you have at your chair and go for a dip. There are no vendors.

Rooms: no complaints...cleaned daily, nothing went missing. As soon as I needed new towels they were at my door within minutes.

Staff: Very friendly and helpful for the most part.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank Maya B
Reviewed 26 January 2017 via mobile

After 5 nights at the Sugar Bay Hotel I can safely say I can't fault the hotel or staff. I met the General Manager, and he certainly makes you feel welcome and listens to your opinions. If I were staying in Barbados for pleasure, this is the place I'd be staying. I actually think the staff are worth another mention - always polite, courteous and professional.

Trip type: Travelled on business