Book In Advance
More Information

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Unguja City
from US$ 400.00
More Info
All reviews boat ride paid usd coral reef shallow water swim with dolphins fish life snorkeling trips open water low tide sand bank nungwi beach matemwe boats sea visibility species zanzibar
Reviewed 3 days ago

We subscribed to a diving and snorkeling discovery organized by the Zanzibar Dive Centre.

The centre is located at the Bluebay Beach Resort & Spa in Kiwengwa and has a small office at the Paradise Beach Resort, where you can book your diving and/or snorkeling experience.

If you never dived before, don’t worry, the Zanzibar Dive Centre is recognized by PADI, the worldwide professional association of diving instructors.

The first appointment was fixed in the Bluebay Beach Resort & Spa at 3pm, where I met Eva, my personal instructor, who gave me a theoretical briefing, aimed to acquire some basic principles, to explain what the equipment consists of, how to use it and learn how to behave under water, how to communicate, etc.

This short session was followed by the selection of the suitable equipment (fins, mask, vest, BCD, etc.) and by some exercises in the hotel’s pool, to prevent problems once in open water.

On the agreed day for the dive, we were picked up at the hotel at 7.20am and brought to the diving centre, where we equipped ourselves, before embarking at 8am in the speed boat that brought us to the Mnemba Atoll Conservation Area (the most famous one in Zanzibar).

This Atoll consists of a seven by four kilometers reef and the visibility in the Atoll is usually great with an average of 10 to 30 meters (that day, it was 30 meters).

After a 45 minutes trip, the boat slows down, the anchor is thrown and... There you go for a one of a kind experience!

Once slowly arrived at the bottom (at a maximum depth of 12 meters), your instructor and you start to discover the reefs. The purpose of your dive is to enjoy the diversity of the marine life you’ll meet there (you could even meet some sea turtles and dolphins, but I wasn’t that lucky that day...).

After a 60 minutes dive, you get back on the boat to recover with some snacks and fresh fruit.

If you wish, a second dive is possible, or you can snorkel with another instructor.

Even if there were around 10-15 boats in the area that day, I didn’t see any divers near to me during my dive and could plainly enjoy the beauty of the preserved jewels of the Atoll’s underwater life.

The price for the discovery diving journey is 150USD (45USD for the snorkeling).

A second optional dive costs 50USD.

In one word, if there is one unavoidable journey to experience in Zanzibar (as far as I’m concerned, probably the only one), it is the diving experience at Mnemba Atoll Conservation Area...

With our game drive in the Selous Reserve, the Mnemba Atoll diving experience is an unforgettable highlight of our holiday in Tanzania and Zanzibar I warmly recommend!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We were not sure if we should go on Mnemba island or not. It was great experience, beautifull white sand and blue water and we love it. We did also snorkelling and we saw a lot of fishes in amazing colors.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We booked the Mnemba tour and were on one of the three boats leaving from Nungwi. After approximately 80mins we arrived to the place where we were supposed to see a living ocean. What we saw instead was very sad. Looking into the water we saw white coralls, very few living. Fish were still swimming around, but very few as well. Putting our heads out of water we saw tons of boats with tons of tourists, swimming across the dead ocean and dancing on the boats. It was an extremely sad experience seeing people not caring for their environment but making money out of the even dead "once home to many species".

Reviewed 5 October 2018

We visited Zanzibar between SEP 10 - 15th 2018. Every moment we spend their was a memorable experience. In this review I would like to refer a great guide whom we met during our half day trip to Zanzibar Mnemba Atoll Marine Reserve Snorkeling Tour. This is the best place for snorkeling in the whole of Zanzibar. Don't miss this place.

His name is Hussain. His contact no : +255 773 801 077

Spice Tour
Kizimkazi Dolphins Tour
Prison Island

Reviewed 18 September 2018

If diving is one of activities you would like to pursue on Zanzibar nothing can beat Mnemba....but only if you stay at $3000 per night Mnemba lodge. Otherwise, you will be limited to morning dives with about a dozen of boats per each spot.

We were lucky so that we had several nice and private afternoon dives and even a night dive. The coral is not as good as it was a decade ago but still it is better than Maldives and Seychelles and much better than Mauritius.

One of the popular places is Big Wall - for advanced and experienced divers only. I dived there three times in my life and in fact never saw anything of interest. Although they are talking about white tip sharks and manta rays - may be next time :)

I would strongly dissuade people from taking snorkeling trips to Mnemba: too long to get there, too many boats for too little to see.

Reviewed 14 September 2018 via mobile

Menemba is praised location for diving and snorkeling.

I wanted to go diving but before paying huge money for 1 day diving I just wanted to go and see what is all about.

Snorkeling is just average. Same fish as everywhere, you cannot go on the island as it is private . ( Rented by the government to some resorts )

So even the location itself is reasonable snorkeling si just average. For that reason I didnt go for diving ( highly overpriced in Zanzibar more than 100 USD for 2 dives)

Doesnt live up to its name .

Beautiful location but you cannot visit . So nothing special there.

Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

Nice place for a bit of snorkelling. The waters in and around the island are crystal clear and truly inviting.

A short trip from Matemwe or Nungwi will see you at the Atoll in about 45 minutes or so.

The Atoll although stunning to look at and photograph from the surface, isn't in the best condition beneath the waves.

Having said that, enough to see snorkelling and on my visit, I was lucky enough to see dolphins and managed to have a short swim with them.

The water temperature is not that warm (I mean - it is warmish) although, more temperate than tropical. I started shivering after about 20 minutes or so. Just to be aware.

Great aesthetics await those who make the trip out. The coastal waters from Zanzibar are also truly spectacular en-route.

1  Thank RicardoBowie
Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

We visited Mmemba atoll during August. Water was extremely clear but reef was quite huge disapointment, it was basically all dead. We saw some nice fishes, but not the most colorful ones. Also since tide is quite strong, there is lot of people in the same time.

OK trip to spend a few hours by relaxing in the boat and swimming/snorkeling, but I wouldn't expect the best snorkeling experience in here. Also, it was not allowed to visit the atoll itself, because it is private island.

Reviewed 23 August 2018

excellent diving and snorkelling; a lot of different fish species; if you are lucky you can swim with dolphins

Reviewed 21 August 2018

this is the 6th time i have been to Mnemba!! it only gets better!!! Upgrades to the rooms(bandas) have made it all the more luxurious! the food prepared by 2 unbelievable chefs is world class with fresh fish every day !! the diving and snorkeling is some of the best i have ever done in the world! the staff could not be more accommodating and helpful! if you want to get away from it all, then this is the place!!