“The last place you should stay”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rankin Inlet
Siniktarvik Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rankin Inlet
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
“The last place you should stay”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

$270 plus tax for an old and disgusting room. Big sticker on the phone saying you must not use it. Got send away twice for breakfast; other guests are more important.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank DemandingGuest1
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Families
Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
St. Catharines
Reviewed 22 December 2011

At over 200.00 dollars a night you would expect at least a bed frame under the bed. Tiles were lifting off the bathroom floor and needed just basic upkeep. Dont think the front desk clerk could even crack a smile if you asked her. Would not even call a cab for us and told us to use the pay phone in front lobby.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank autorevs
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I was trapped in this hotel for 3 nights because of a flight delay, in transit. I know the other reviews are terrible, but I have great memories of this place. Yes, the rooms were small and dingy, but hey, you're in the Arctic!! I had the best sleep here -- I remember the rooms being cozy. The best part of the hotel was the restaurant which served hearty, reasonably priced good meals. I had a good stay here.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank MNRJSS
Canada
Reviewed 29 June 2011

I agree with what the others have said - this place is a hole. The problem is that there is not much to choose from in this town, and whoever operates this hotel knows that they have a captive market.

The place is dirty, it's run-down (with abundant evidence of past bar-fights, vandalism, and general neglect), and it's depressing.

The employees were courteous, though.

If I ever have to pass through this town again, I'll bring a sleeping bag and a foam pad and sleep on the floor of the plane (otherwise known as "the de Havilland Hotel". At least I know that the plane will be quiet and clean.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank solotravellerCanada
Canada
Reviewed 28 January 2010

As with most hotel in the far north this place is absolutely no frills. However, it's dark, dirty and in desperate need of renovations. When I was "greeted" by the front desk they were rude and generally unhelpful. There's no elevator so you have to drag your bags up to the second floor if that's where you're staying. I would estimate that the rooms have remained exactly the same as they were when this place was built the 1980's.

The bed sheets weren't changed at all during the 7 days I had to stay here. The telephone in my room was placed next to the bed, however, the jack was on the opposite side of the room so there was a cord running along the length of the floor.

The bathroom appeared to be okay... I didn't see any major mildew but the vent in the ceiling had about 20 years worth of dust clogging it. Shampoo and soap were provided. There were a couple of times I had to request towels, as the dirty ones had been removed but not replaced by housekeeping.

The restaurant features cheeseburgers and the like. The food was acceptable, but for the most part, unhealthy. Because of the portions and content of the food I limited myself to breakfast and a late lunch / early dinner most days. Service in the restaurant ranged from good to mediocre.

Be prepared for local artists to come in while you are eating to try and sell you their wares. I purchased a soap stone polar bear and made the mistake of telling the artist my room number. He called me several times after the transaction to try and sell me more carvings even though I told him I didnt' have any money for another.

On my second last day I requested a late check out. The next day I casually reminded the front desk clerk of this request. She responded rudely that I had already told her. Later that day room service knocked on my door asking if I was leaving. Clearly, they hadn't been told I had a late check out. They also charged me an additon $150 for this "privilege".

Speaking of cost... For my 7 days of being stuck in this dump, and with charging two meals a day to my room the grand total was just over $2000. It's unbelivable that they can get away with this kind of pricing... but I suppose that how it goes up north.

If you can manage to avoid this place and stay elsewhere (although I have no experience with any other hotels in Rankin Inlet), you might want to try.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
5 Thank 2bravo

Been to Siniktarvik Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK