“Pretty good.”

Ranked #47 of 95 Hotels in Macau
Danbury, Connecticut
“Pretty good.”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This was my first time visiting Macau. I think if I went back I would stay on the Cotai Strip, however when I was booking rooms, Star World offered a great price, so if you are looking to save a few dollars, this is a good choice. There was a little confusion withy my booking via Expedia since the taxes were not included and they brought the price up about 15%. I was upgraded to a premier suite, which seems to be pretty easy to do based upon other reviews.

Macau itself is geared toward mainland Chinese tourists. If you are looking for more western dining choices, i would suggest the Venetian on the Cotai strip. I felt Starworld's dining was a bit limited in choice, and walking around the surrounding area did not offer much more choice.

I do recommend making use of the free shuttle bus to their sister hotel on the Cotai strip as well as the Sands-Venetian shuttle. Its free, runs frequently and is a nice way to see some of the city.

Room was clean and nice, offered wifi, room service was great when dining options were limited.

Room Tip: Try for an updgrade, they seem to be easy to get and included a free breakfast.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank spinkid
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
PARIS
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Being a regular vistor (well gambler would be more accurate) of Macau I had never tried the StarWorld. I decided to correct that, as I like the StarWorld casino (it’s one of the most prestigious casino in the city) and I am always seduced by the models with their high heels boots at the entrance! (hey I’m just a man)
The main problem of the starworld is its bling bling aspect. I like the outside design the cube of various colors. I think it’s quite innovative.
The inside design is more boring, it’s just bling bling, and it’s not really good taste.
I don’t like the corridor design, and I don’t like the room design.
However I must admit the room is very comfortable, even though if mine had a strange smell, the quite of smell that make you want to open the windows for an hour or two, but strangely here its not possible to do so : )
I was in the executive floor (the top 3 or 4 floors) and the view is breathtaking.
It must be on the best view possible in Macau.
As I had book two rooms for me & my friends, I could view from above the pool (towards Grand Lisboa) and on the other side (river , bridge and airport view).
Both views were excellent.
Otherwise nothing to write home really. This hotel design is not my style, I think it will please more the Chinese clients than the European clients…
Ah thumbs up to StarWorld for having free internet! It’s so rare in Macau!
The swimming pool is tiny and not very deep, but it offers a spectacular view. Don’t miss it.
If you don’t mind the style, StarWorld is a good option because of :
- Its view

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank DR_MOJITO
Bangkok
Reviewed 16 April 2011

Got a free upgrade to premier suite. Inside the suite, spacious, clean, comfortable, everything you needed was there. Had L'occitane toiletries ( i love this brand, smells great) four free bottles of mineral water daily. One large living room, one small and big bathroom, and one large bedroom. In the bathroom, there was a jacuzzi also. As for the view, spectacular, especially at night time. The bed was very comfortable. The rooms were soundproof so you couldn't hear anything from outside.

We had breakfast at Tempations. The food was great. The chef and staff were polite and helped us in our breakfast needs.

In the lobby, it was stunning. Their were live performances daily. You could have a feeling like a vegas style show performing in this hotel. Also, the tall sexy staffs who greeted us and other guests provided a nice touch and glamour to the lobby.

As for the casino, it was a bit small. No problem though, because within walking distance is the MGM and Wynn Casino. For those who wanted all their gambling needs furfilled.

Distance from Airport (about 10-15 minutes)
Distance from Senado Square (20 to 25 minutes walk) Taxi 10-15 minutes
Distance from Ah Ma Temple (15 minutes by Taxi)
Distance from Venetian (20- 30 minutes by Taxi)

Overall, it's a Fabulous Hotel. The staff were very helpful and polite. I would like to thank the Concierge Staff especially for helping me and my wife for sightseeing and recommendations around Macau. Two thumbs up for this hotel, and I am looking foward to staying here again in the near future.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TheLegend007
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 31 March 2011

We got a free upgrade and it was on the 38th floor. The free upgrade was not everything. Their service is good, check in was fast and good, clean and bed is very comfortable! I have an elderly mother and a less than 2 years old toddler together with the rest of the family. Thanks to Tripadvisor, we really have a great time at Macau!For us, everything is good with the hotel. We will stay at StarWorld again if going back to Macau.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd top floor, good view, quiet rom
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank yklw
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 5 February 2011

The hotel is located at a prime location that is 1 minutes to Wynn, MGM and a few steps more to Lisboa. Just stayed in Executive Room on the day before, executive floor are located at high floor from 30/F, providing with better toiletries and inclsuive of breakfast (I think free upgrade will not get breakfast). We've got a nice habour view room, can see MGM, Sands Casino at a distance across. The room is nicely decorated in modern style, LCD TV, DVD player, Work desk, Lounge chair, matresses support me well for a goodight sleep. Spacious Bathroom with both shower and tub, with a glass wall where you can see TV from the tub while to roll the blinds down if you feel shy. With Eletric water pot and free teas, coffee and drinking water. Comes with free Wifi but I didn't bring my laptop on a 1 night trip. Hotel staff are very nice and courteous.

Down side? Their Chinese restaurant are just average, heavy MSG used. Cafe at 1/F of casino are terrible, taste worst then any chain fast food restaurant. But i know the japanese are a great one that we did not try. And we've been dine at Wynn on our second day, their Chinese, dim sum, Italian and cafe at Casino all taste great, cost 20% more but taste way better than 20%.

Their Casinos are relatively small, without much varity of games, so we went to MGM and Wynn for gambling.

Another thing the hotel really needs to improve is their shuttle service. They did not provide a seperate stop of shuttle for hotel guest like Wynn, you will need to compete with all the gamblers, they ignore the order of line up and rush in to get up at the same time. So we just pull our luggage for a few steps to ride the Wynn shuttle.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family