“A star of the past?”
Review of The Landmark Macau

The Landmark Macau
Ranked #31 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I think the hotel should have shown better days. Today is a bit missed in the middle of the new establishments that have opened in Macau the last 10 years.

Rooms are good but show many signals of age. Location is great for the ones interested in the modern part of the city. Breakfast is average with low variety and average quality.

Staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful though and this is probably the best point of the hotel. Especially the two Filippino ladies in the customers' relation desk have made our stay there unique. Very attentive and always eager to help and satisfy all our requests.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trip_Datum
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for The Landmark Macau

Reviewed 19 September 2011

Landmark hotel is my preferable choice when I visit Macau. This time I stay at west wing which the room is smaller than the other side. Receptions though are not fluent in speaking English but capable enough to answer and service with smile. Breakfast are quite ok.
Few things I like the most for this hotel: spacious room & bathroom, free in-room internet, free daily minibar, The Salute program to accrue your point and give you free stay back and of course good location.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2011

There is no shower curtain with the bath tub. So, unless you sit still in the tub and soak in the pool of water, you will flood the marble floor and slip yourself to death. Hence, in the bath tub, you can't wash your hair unless you walk across the toilet to the shower room.
The shower is fixed high up in the shower room. On 20th floor, you will still find the water pressure so high that you'll find water dashing to your head as if you are standing in a waterfall. Your sensitive body parts, say your cheek, your eyes and your chest will feel painful by the jet of water. After applying soap, or shampoo, you will have to adjust the temperature of water again! You will find that you have to turn the cold water and hot water knobs in different directions to turn them on or off. For example, turn it clockwise, you will turn on the cold water but turn the hot water tap off, and vice versa.
The glasses in the toilets are too slippery and heavy for children under 12. When they brush their teeth, you'd better stand by their side or they may slip and drop the glasses. If you are unlucky, they may cut themselves and slip on the floor after spilling the water on the floor.
You may find the room previously occupied by smokers by the smell of the blankets and carpet if you are allergic. The caretakers may spray deodorant in your room before asking you for permission. If anyone has respiratory problems, it may make matters worse.

Room Tip: Book the bigger and more expensive rooms earlier.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SeriousTraveller2005
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We stayed here for one night to get away from fresh paint fumes at home. There were only trainees at the reception counter at first, three of them. One of them had to frequently consult another to do things. I wasn't too comfortable handing over my passport and credit card to someone like that. As a queue began to form, a manager stepped in as well. We were allocated a room on a smoking floor without being asked, but luckily we spoke up and realized that, so the room got changed before we moved off. In my short stay, I found that the staff spoke English well enough.

The room gave us quite a good feeling. The lighting was inadequate for nighttime reading, though. The bed was quite comfortable, with a mattress that effectively coaxed my muscles to give up their tension. I had a good night's sleep. The doorbell rang once in the middle of my sleep (possibly the world's oldest profession calling) and I could hear some noises in the hallway after that, but it was otherwise rather quiet. I should clarify that the hotel did not feel sleazy, and felt safe for all kinds of travellers.

The bathroom was roomy, with gold-plated fittings and black marble floor tiles. It had a separate shower stall and a bathtub. I found it slightly annoying that the cold water tap was turned anti-clockwise while the warm water tap was the opposite--had a bit of hot water shock at the end of my shower thanks to that!

The bathrobes were slightly damp and we realized later that the room was slightly damp. It was not musty to any uncomfortable extent, just a little damp and most people would probably not notice it.

There was no sitting area on the ground floor. The lobby sofas were on the 6th floor, the floor on which you switch elevators. But that turned out to be much better for a quiet sit-down or a chat as it was more secluded and less chaotic than the ground floor.

We made the booking in a hurry and the reception staff did not make it clear to us that breakfast was provided. But it was raining in the morning, so I went to the breakfast restaurant to try my luck. My room number was on their list, which was convenient. I only tried one food item and one juice, so I won't comment on breakfast.

Overall, the stay was a pleasant experience. Most staff members were friendly, but you may across some who don't smile or look you in the eye.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2011

At the end of the day its your personal experience that you have had at this place that makes you write a review that is good or bad.
My wife and I stayed here during end May 2011 and these are our comments based on our actual experiences.
Great location on the main strip, close to ferry terminal and you get free transportation.
from/to hotel. Plenty of taxis, no problem experienced there.
Walking distance to most conveniences and other restaurants, casinos etc.
Room size is large, very well appointed, top notch service, very clean.
Excellent toilet facilities and toileteries, very reasonably priced rooms, great breakfast with good selection of items.
Very friendly reception staff. Concierges ever willing to help.
Casino isolated so no noise. Overall: Excellent hotel, we loved it and will stay here in the future too.
We did not experience any of the negative points mentioned by other travellers, but then again, as I stated at the top, it is all based on your individual experience and if you have had one bad experience, it takes 7 positive ones to make you change your mind.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple